PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

gross toilet ! How to get rid of limescale

Our toilet has developed what looks like limescale in the bottom of it that I can't shift. The only way I can slightly remove it is by scraping it with a knife!!! But i'm worried about leaving scrape marks on the porcelain.

Does anyone know of any homemade concoctions that will !!!! the darn stuff?
I've tried the really good branded stuff but it doesn't work and costs a fortune.

Be grateful for your recomendations.
Thanks
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    If you could get the water out of the toilet you could spray it with WD40 and it should rub off.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya, and... Yep! Coca cola left overnight. :)

I've seen other tips too - let me go look... watch this space I'll edit this post when I find others :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • sportY_3
    sportY_3 Posts: 21 Forumite
    I've heard about coca cola - but does it really work???
  • sportY_3
    WD40? Hmmmmmm....just need to find an easy way of getting the water out of the loo then..... would I need to soak it in wd40 for long??
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    sportY wrote:
    I've heard about coca cola - but does it really work???
    So I'm told :)

A good dose of vinegar (distilled for preference) left overnight works too. This I know for sure 'cos I've used this one :) Saved me an edit.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • If you can find long wooden skewers these will be kinder to your porcelain to scratch off the limescale. When the loo is all clear you can keep it that way by using the AmbiPur type cleaners that hang over the edge of the bowl - when it's empty you can fill it with neat bleach, this works far better than the AmbiPur and you can re-fill dozens of times for just pennies. This drip, drip, drip of bleach keeps the bowl clean
  • sportY_3
    ooo...good tip on the Ambi Pur thingies.....
  • sportY_3
    Does distilled vinegar stink less that the normal Sarsons stuff???
    I'm off away for the weekend so I could levae it in all weekend so it would have loads of time to work!!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Distilled is a LOT less smelly, yes. All weekend would be a real winner :)
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    sportY wrote:
    WD40? Hmmmmmm....just need to find an easy way of getting the water out of the loo then..... would I need to soak it in wd40 for long??
    From the WD40 website Clear out limescale and mucky build up with a quick spray of WD-40 onto a cloth. You can give it a bit of a scrub for a nice shiny finish. I've not used it down the loo but I sprayed it round my taps and gave them a rub and they came up fine. Didn't bother about letting it soak.

If you wrapped a cloth round the toilet brush and used it like a plunger you could probably shunt enough water down the pipe to get at the limescale.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family