Say No to 090!

You've seen the No to 0870 campaign, well here is my own campaign against 090 numbers!

Let's get started with those Astrology Charts:

Just Dial 020 7054 followed by:

0006: Aries
0007: Taurus
0008: Gemini
0009: Cancer
0010: Leo
0011: Virgo
0012: Libra
0013: Scorpio
0014: Sagittarius
0015: Capricorn
0016: Aquarius
0017: Pisces

If you are into Ring Tones, try:

0060: Radio Times RING TONES
0061: Top of the Pops RING TONES
0062: HIP HOP RING TONES

There are plenty more services in the number range 020 7054 (0000-9999)! Just use your free telephone call provider to locate what your're looking for!

Comments

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm saying no to those as well
  • [font=&quot]Whilst I agree with the (MSE) sentiment Paul (I never dial 09 numbers), I don't entirely agree such a campaign is necessary.

09 numbers are specifically Premium Rate (albeit that a few are cheaper to call than many 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 numbers) and anyone dialling one should know that. Indeed, ICTIS regulations mean they should know how much the call costs before dialling.

The whole point of the SayNoTo0870 campaign is that the use of 0870 numbers (and some 0844, 0845 and 0871 numbers for that matter) has been hijacked and many are now simply 'Disguised Premium Rate' because of poor (well, non-existent actually) regulation by Oftel/Ofcom. As a result, some callers are being misled into dialling these numbers thinking they are no more costly than a geographical call and/or are being kept on the line unnecessarily long to maximise profits for the organisation concerned.
    [/font]
    30 years, 217 days!
  • sergeant121:

The heading 'Say No to 090 Campaign' was really just a way of catching your attention! I don't know if the numbers I have listed have an 090 link at all. Given that there is no message about premium rate call costs I am not sure if there is an 090 number that links to them.

I am really only highlighting the fact that 090 numbers (like 0870/0845) have geographical delivery numbers.

I agree that most people do not realise that 0870/0845 numbers are more expensive than geographical numbers. And many people do not realise that 090 numbers can be a lot more expensive (up to £1.50p/min).

I would advocate that OFTEL should require telephone service providers bar calls to premium rate numbers unless the customer specifically requests access to them. In Hull, if you want to bar access to these numbers, Kingston Communications (the only line provider in Hull) will actually charge you for the privilege!
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    ....depends how naive the telecoms provider is.

Most/many telecoms company use non-diallable/network internal numbers as the translation number on 090, precisely to stop people calling them directly. Looks like Thus (the assignees of the range 020 7054) are very trusting.

Problem with barring 090 by default is that there's lots of legit stuff on there...Pop Idol, Strictly Come Dancing, Who wants to be a millionaire...with no 090, these couldn't survive. Actually, I've changed my mind, maybe 090 numbers should be barred!

That said, I can't agree that "many people do not realise that 090 numbers can be a lot more expensive". It's a legal obligation to state the (BT) call charge when any 090 number is published or advertised. If people are too dumb to take any notice of that - and I acknowledge issues with rogue diallers - then that really is their problem.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't agree that "many people do not realise that 090 numbers can be a lot more expensive". It's a legal obligation to state the (BT) call charge when any 090 number is published or advertised. If people are too dumb to take any notice of that - and I acknowledge issues with rogue diallers - then that really is their problem.

Yes, legitimate companies will display the costs, but just how much smaller can they make the announcements in newspaper adverts!
  • And many people do not realise that 090 numbers can be a lot more expensive (up to £1.50p/min).
    Up to £5.92 per minute you mean!
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Forumite
    Up to £5.92 per minute you mean!

Good Gracious Me!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Forumite
    I was talking about 090 numbers!
  • I was talking about 090 numbers!
    I just lump anything starting 09 as 'verboten' so that includes 091 and 099 numbers too.

As a point of interest, 09997 cost £5.92/minute but 099991 and 099992 numbers, although still in the Premium Rate range, are FREE!
    30 years, 217 days!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Forumite
    Sergeant121:

That is why this number are just so confusing. Some telephone service providers make many mistakes in their charging tables. If they cannot get it right - what hope the poor consumer!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure