Comet-guarantee-

2»

Comments

• Comet will give us a replacement but the store manager will not process it as she will be heavily discounting an item. I will now be writing to Comet, i have sourced the directors names. I will also contact LG regarding their warranty. After all, if they do have a 2 yr warranty, we would never have bought an extended guaranty. I've got quite a few things to mention in my letter so will have to carefully phrase it. Post soon. THank you again.:T
    Chrissie

:coffee:

Must save time as well as money!
  • I have contacted LG customer services. It would appear that Comet and other places 'buy' the warranty of them therefore the 2 yr does not apply. Now set to write a long letter. It's a good job it's still working (at the moment). Please don't forget me!
    x
    Chrissie

• After the last post I saw the same fridge freezer online at Curry's, £429 and free delivery. Early in this fiasco there was mention of a refund. Anyway my husband telephoned Comet, we went into the store and got a full refund. Catch- my credit card had changed so I'm waiting for a head office cheque and the warranty cheque back. However, I have all the paperwork to say this. I didn't get the refund minus pro-rata use of product or warranty. Refund included delivery charge as well. total - £649.33 So, fingers crossed, it's sorted pending cheque delivery. However I will still be writing to comet to complain about this fiasco and never taking my business there. Well, maybe one day.
    Chrissie

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Congratulations on sorting this out. It's a nightmare isn't it? It seems like you got worse service because you had purchased a further guarantee!

Glad you managed to get there in the end, fingers crossed that the cheque turns up soon.

My partially sighted grandmother ordered a fridge freezer from one of these stores, and they failed to deliver on the day they had stated. She's really desparate without it, as she relies on ready meals in the microwave, and knowing exactly where her milk is, etc. When they eventually delivered it 4 days late, it turns out that the door was not reversible, as she had been told, so she couldn't fit it into her kitchen. A fortnight later she's still without a fridge freezer, despite everyone's best efforts. A friend has lent her a small fridge which is now in her spare room. But it's so hard for people like my gran to fight for their rights, so I'm glad that you stuck to it and have got there in the end.
  • DocProc
    DocProc Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So how long should an expensive kitchen appliance be expected to last?

Just ONE YEAR?

Definitely not!

After reading the stuff on the link below, you might begin to question whether you really need to pay extra for an Extended Warranty, anyhow.

It explains how you've still got Consumer Rights under The Sale of Goods Act after the Guarantee runs out. Importantly, it also tells you what to do about things if you get a problem:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    If you hadn't purchased an extended warranty, you would be negotiating this with the manufacturer.

You sure about that?
    There is no contractual agreement between the manufacturer and the end user.The retailer bears the responsibility in law with a remedy through the court if required.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Thanks for the replies. I thought the contract was between me and the retailer, comet. Yes, i also read the information of how long should an appliance last. I really don't understand why retailers think they can pull the wool over peoples eyes- thing is they know some people will just accept things and its a shame.

I hope your grandmother gets sorted soon. Even if you get it sorted still write a letter of complaint.

We went to currys one boxing day many years ago. We went to purchase a telly in the sale. Guess what- they didn't have it in stock! Anyway, a disgruntled employee told us a couple of secrets and that it was never available at this store, despite the advert not saying it was limited stores. Anyway, we was really p****d so my husband wrote to some managing director (name from the corporate website). We were sent £50 of vouchers. We managed to spend these on computer accessories such as ink, photo paper etc...
    Chrissie

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills