PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2012 Grocery Challenge!!!!! REALLLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comments

• I keep an A5 sized diary and I draw a line down the centre. One half of each page is non food and the other half is food. It is a godsend to refer to for many things as well as budgets. Good to know how long something lasted-what you spent on petrol the last month etc-I am often referring to it. I also keep notes in it if I lend the kids any money or if they pay me any back-its my all in one refernce moneywise! I look down each receipt and I do separate my spends so if its £50 spend and £15 is on household stuff I write it as £15 and £35 respectively sometimes with extra notes on the household side to list what it was. I found over the last couple of years that quite a large chunk was indeed on "other" stuff and not all of it necessary!

What a fantastic idea!! I will try this too :-)

No grocery spends today by me, but Oh bought some mini naans for 50p so ruined my no spend day lol. He did make a lovely veggie curry with egg fried rice to make up for it:

08B9B09D-AB4F-4623-878D-45BAFBDF2D41-4426-00000A0BA716F09A.jpg

Also, it's not GC related, sorry :o, but I just wanted to share the British Paraorchestra's single True Colors, which was released yesterday. They are the world's first-ever ensemble for professional disabled musicians, performing with Paralympics athletes and a kid's signing choir. I work for a charity helping people with a certain disability and when I watched it today it made me cry as it's so inspiring :o sorry about the digression but I just wanted to share!!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • debtmess
    debtmess Posts: 711
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Jumping in with £450:(. This month

Sorry cannot change font to put spend in red, have my family for this Christmas, my online shop for 21st December to be delivered is just off £200 (ouch)

Spend so far is £16.65 at local shop last night.
    That's including cat food for the month and some cleaning bits, leaving me around £50 a week for everything else which should be very do-able

Happy December :)
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • Scuff
    Scuff Posts: 522 Forumite
    Two small shops to confess to, £11.95 on cheese, bread, butter and potatoes (there was a fair bit of cheese :D) and £14.38 on what started out to be a 'pick up some stuff for some sandwiches' trip and ended up a yellow sticker shop as well. Oops this brings my total to £60.86
    September 2016 GC £21.37/£120
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh my.... I went to Mr T to pick up the remainder of the direct.com order and picked up some bits to see us through

I picked up bread and milk for the freezer, a couple of reduced cripsy half ducks to make a cheaper Chinese 'take out', the Christmas chicken (as we ended up eating the one we'd bought when one we bought for dinner one day was off the day we bought it!) but that had gone up in price since last time which stung a bit, and some fruit.

We now have a little over £40 left to last us until 20th of this month. WHOOPS. We have quite a lot in now, so really and truly this should be do-able, but I know what we're like for buying bits (a good reason for doing this challenge I suppose!)

It's becoming quite an eye opening challenge to have joined - and goes quite a way to explain to me why I seem to spend so much in Mr T when we've alsways had a set budget..!
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...went to the coop and waitrose yesterday and got a few bargains of the fruit and veg variety I didnt get anything for the freezer as it is full to the brim

i have made a christmas food list and have done meal plan all the way to christmas eve so thats useful and will hopefully keep costs down...i can hope

we are having a roast chicken for tea and will use up the leftovers in a pie later in the week...off to stew some fruit i got yesterday and check i have some nice veg for tea

have a great day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    This is my 3rd N.S.D...
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Morning all!
    I think I'm doing reasonably well so far. I have been trying to put off buying things I haven't yet run out of to keep the spends down, but considering I visit different shops to get the best price it isn't always easy! I would hate to have to fork out 90p for a cucumber from the local shop should I run out when I know I can get one for 50p near work :rotfl:

I topped up my stock cube supply last night, thought I was getting a bargain but turns out I hadn't done my research properly, grrr, oh well it's a lesson learned for next time. So just reporting a spend of 1.99 on chicken, beef and veg cubes.

I'm excited for my first attempt at sourdough bread this weekend, I have been feeding and checking my 'starter' and some bubbles have started to appear, definitely a good sign! Imagine if I never had to buy bread again... :cool:

Have a good day everyone
    Nov Groceries: approx £90
    Dec GC: £31.93/£60 Jan GC: £33.55/£45 Feb GC: £0/£45
    Pot: Dec 195/ Jan 147/ Feb 114/ Mar 43
    Total: 499
  • A £3.77 spend last night picking up fish for tea and milk. Poor planning on my part as normally buy enough milk to get us through the week when I do the big shop in Asda, and had to pay 32p more in Co-op! Oh well, lesson learned! Will add to my total spend on my sig.

Going to be big spends this weekend as have to cook enough food to get us through most of 2 weeks of evening meals as new kitchen going in. Lots of planning required I think!
    Kitchen Debt - 2820/260
    Save £12k in 2013 #060: 1293.24/3000
    MFW: 88760.00/85000.00 (4.24% paid)
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Oh my goodness, it took me 2.5 hrs to get my son to school this morning :eek: and another hour to get home:eek: I was busting after I dropped him off so I popped into Waitrose to use their facilities, and I found out you can get 1 free pot of tea or coffee a day with their My Waitrose card, its a reward card I think. The pot of tea has enough for 2 cups, I did however spend £1.59 on a toasted teacake ! I just hope the afternoon school run doesnt take as long :D
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,842
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    99p in the petrol station on milk - was passing when walking to school this morning. Do need some veggies for tonights tea but will get those on the afternoon school run at C00p.

Snow has cleared here now thank goodness!

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure