Forgot to renew car tax - £1,000 fine? aarrgghhh..

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Firstly, today I stopped a Police Officer and pointed out a motorcycle with no tax since 2000, he said he couldn't do anything as it was now a Tax problem and no longer a criminal offence.

Secondly, the DVLA are currently claiming they did not receive my documents that I sent them to say my car had been scrapped, they have sent a fine for £80 but state it is not applicable if I write and state I the vehicle is off the road.

There appears to be a lot of ways around this change in Road Fund License, and there is no way of tracking the people who are avoiding paying, the bike is a prime example, I said to the officer, it will go to the Registered Keeper, who I doubt will be running the bike on the road.

So be safe, just buy your new tax, I believe exemptions still apply. If the DVLA send you a fine write to them, also be honest with the new tax application, make sure you back date it, then there should be nothing they can hit you with.

Hope this helps
    Keith
  • albalad
    albalad Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    heather38 wrote:
    sorry you don't get a 14 day grace period, this used to apply when tax discs were issued through the post by the DVLA to allow for delivery times but no longer applys. you can be be fined if your disc is one day out of date.

The law allows 14 days from the date the licence was due in which to relicense
    . Heather 38 this is a direct qoute from the dvla website which i linked to above , sorry
    "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page."
    happy travels !!
    "No matter where you go, there you are."
    albalad
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I really don't think anybody would be prosecuted for having an unlicenced vehicle in their garage.

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Keith wrote:
    Firstly, today I stopped a Police Officer and pointed out a motorcycle with no tax since 2000, he said he couldn't do anything as it was now a Tax problem and no longer a criminal offence.

Keith

Where exactly was the bike? It is an offence to have an unlicensed vehicle on the public highway and he could have issued a fixed penalty notice if that was the case.
  • MoneyMonkey
    MoneyMonkey Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From my experience (from some time ago), so long as you don't actively try to avoid paying, they won't shaft you.

Wouldn't this be so much easier if we were only taxed through fuel.

1) It would be impossible to forget to pay.
    2) It would be difficult for people to get around the tax.
    3) The more miles you do, the more you pay.
    4) Those nasty gas gusslers get hit where it hurts.
    Organisation and planning are for those who can't handle stress and caffine :rolleyes:
    A customer with a biscuit in his mouth, is a customer who can't complain :D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Wow, thanks everyone for all the input. If anyone would like their Thanks box ticked, let me know - otherwise it would be a bit silly just to do everyone's!

Update - he went to the Post Office today and got a new disc backdated to be valid from 1st June. The counter clerk said she doubted he'd get a fine, but he "might get one through the post" :confused: so we'll have to keep those fingers crossed for a few more weeks I guess.

I am now going to find out when everything connected to the cars is due, and put it in my Microsoft Works calendar which is a marvellous gadget if only I can be bothered to use it!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Bossyboots wrote:
    It is an offence to have an unlicensed vehicle on the public highway and he could have issued a fixed penalty notice if that was the case.
    The correct wording is "It is an offence to use a motor vehicle on a Public Road without a current Vehicle Excise Licence," and, it wouldn't be a Fixed Penalty Notice, but a CLE 2/6 ;)

Nigel.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Well hopefully the OP is now OK, but the new rules do refer to the possibility of a minimum fine of £1000. This is said to be for "determined offenders".

So, if you get anything from them it will usually be an £80 fine, reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days. The £1000 only comes in if you don't pay and get taken to court.

However, it appears that magistrates are not happy at having to apply a blanket minimum fine of £1000 and I am not yet aware of this having happened.

Article on new vehicle tax rules
    Not even wrong
  • chem14346777
    chem14346777 Posts: 230 Forumite
    heather38 wrote:
    Originally Posted by heather38
    sorry you don't get a 14 day grace period, this used to apply when tax discs were issued through the post by the DVLA to allow for delivery times but no longer applys. you can be be fined if your disc is one day out of date.

Quote:
    The law allows 14 days from the date the licence was due in which to relicense
    albalad wrote:
    . Heather 38 this is a direct qoute from the dvla website which i linked to above , sorry

To clear this up, the "grace period" does not give you permission to drive around untaxed for 14 days, if you are using your car on the road with no tax, you are still breaking the law.
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    B_0_B

It would be worth taxing the car just for the months that you travel to the shows in and SORN it straight after. Then apply for the refund on your disc, as you house the car in the garage. But a big sign on it...... NO TAX !!!!!!

Its easy enoght to re tax your car after a SORN..just take the documentation (registration, MOT and insurance) to the PO and re tax. I am very surprised you got a disc for June in July though...... it was my belief that this was no longer possible!!!!

Ma
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport