PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 8. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi chums ,very happy old lady tonight I went to see the diet nurse today and I have got my BMI down to 37.It was 46 last September and it means that I have lost almost 3 stone since then.Still a couple more to shift but I am a very happy bunny,fingers crossed so will my consultant be next week when I see him and he will agree to my operation :):):):):):)
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    minicooper- I would be so cross if someone stole my food. I remember being a student in a house share (the other housemates were working full time) My budget was £10 a week for food, plus an extra £10 at the start of each term which bought teabags, ketchup etc. My landlord had builders in and they were helping themselves to my teabags- using a half a term's worth in two days. Nowadays I prepare DH lunch every day in an insulated lunch bag because it gets stolen from the staff room fridge :mad:

JackieO thats a fantastic achievement, well done :T

Food diary for today:
    B: weetabix, raisins, ss milk
    11am: One round multigrain toast. Tuna mayo, tiny bit of cheese grilled on top.
    L: Small baked potato with some tuna, sweetcorn, mayo. Stir fry cabbage, red pepper, mangetout. (Spray oil, soy sauce, level tsp sweet chilli sauce)
    Two spoonfuls of DS's leftover noodles- I binned the rest.
    D: Creamy chicken pasta (a favourite in our house, basically 2 chicken breasts chopped small and browned in wok, pasta cooked with 2 chicken oxos, not too much water, then stir in a tin condensed chicken soup and chicken) Broccoli, carrot, mushrooms, chopped cherry toms. Fed me, fussy toddler, DH (large portion) and enough for DH and DS's lunch tomorrow.
    S: orange, apple, 1 belvita biscuit, 1 mini egg.

Ate quite a lot as you can see, but all done in a low cal/ smaller portion way than I would have done previously. Still suffering with this cold :( and tired tbh . I will be thrilled if I manage a STS this week, will not be surprised if I put weight on tho.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fluffysox wrote: »
    minicooper- I would be so cross if someone stole my food. I remember being a student in a house share (the other housemates were working full time) My budget was £10 a week for food, plus an extra £10 at the start of each term which bought teabags, ketchup etc. My landlord had builders in and they were helping themselves to my teabags- using a half a term's worth in two days. Nowadays I prepare DH lunch every day in an insulated lunch bag because it gets stolen from the staff room fridge :mad:.

I hate people that steal lunches at work! I don't know how people think that it's OK to do that... I don't mind if people steal a glug of milk or a bit of butter, and if they ask, I won't begrudge a big bit because I know they'll return the favour. I do mind if they do it for more than a day, or take half the pack or slice it funny! As a student, I got irrationally annoyed when housemates took a bit of butter from the wrong end of the pack!
  • fluffysox
    According to Channel 5 (The Wright Stuff) this morning, the average person spends £110 per month on takeaways. :eek:
    Meanwhile last night on BBC we had people who couldn't afford to eat due to having debts while also living on benefits.
    Shocking stuff. My grocery bill is averaging about £90 a week (about 20 of that is baby milk, nappies, wipes etc. Used to spend lots less but finding it difficult to cut it down much and still have plenty of fruit, veg and some treats for DH and DS. But takeaways are a rare event.
    Trying to think about portion sizes both when cooking and serving. Trying to retrain my brain that food waste is food that is binned but also food that goes in the mouth when the stomach is already satisfied. Eating DS's leftovers etc is treating myself as a human bin.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hi chums ,very happy old lady tonight I went to see the diet nurse today and I have got my BMI down to 37.It was 46 last September and it means that I have lost almost 3 stone since then.Still a couple more to shift but I am a very happy bunny,fingers crossed so will my consultant be next week when I see him and he will agree to my operation :):):):):):)

:T:T:T Well done!! Thats Amazing :D
    According to Channel 5 (The Wright Stuff) this morning, the average person spends £110 per month on takeaways. :eek:.

Wow!! Who are these people?! It has got me wondering how much I spend on take aways/eating out I bet on a bad month its £50 (couple meals out over the month plus one/two late night drunk pizza's it wouldnt take long to add up :eek:)

Today:

B: greek yog, bran flakes, blueberries, strawberries, banana
    S: 1 seeded bread toasted with butter
    L: HM cheese & coleslaw salad, 2 oatcakes, carrot sticks, 2 stasumas
    S: one boiled sweet, apple
    T: mint & lamb chipolators, mash & cabbage

have saved some cals for a small choc/freddo type bar later :)

Oh got up 6:30 this morning and did my dusting hopeing this has burnt some cals as I havent even found time for that 12 min workout :rotfl:
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Yesterday... B one slice wholemeal toast two poached eggs
    D two seeded salad rolls
    T steak chips peas salad (all served on a small plate)
    S banana & apple
    E two two hour walks
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    According to Channel 5 (The Wright Stuff) this morning, the average person spends £110 per month on takeaways. :eek:

Crikey! Never have takeaways, well I say never. Possibly fish & chips 4 times a year.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • ellie99
    ellie99 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    D: Creamy chicken pasta (a favourite in our house, basically 2 chicken breasts chopped small and browned in wok, pasta cooked with 2 chicken oxos, not too much water, then stir in a tin condensed chicken soup and chicken)

That sounds nice fluffysox...do you add in the water the pasta cooks in, or do you drain it away?

£110 a month :eek: Do we believe this figure? because if that's the average that means there are people spending a lot more than that!

I wonder if they made it clear if that was "per person"...if someone asked me how much I'd spent on a takeaway and I'd bought for a family of 4, I'd say the whole price?

I try not to have takeaways too often (honest guv :D) but I have probably 2 or 3 per month. My favourite costs £4.70, so that's £10 - £15 per month (just for me, if I have one with family obviously it costs more, cos mum pays, doesn't she!)

It's a cost thing, and a healthy eating thing...there's a little part of me which wonders how long I could eat takeaways for before I got bored with them :), if I didn't know that I'd get fat (well, fatter :o) I'd love to find out :rotfl:

If you could live one day of your life over again, which day would you choose?
  • fluffysox
    edited 13 March 2014 at 7:32PM
    ellie they said "the average brit" which implies each person. My (younger) brother said most his mates spend twice that amount. I guess its easily done if they buy fast food at lunch times etc. I'm just too tight to waste £5 on lunch a day. Some people think nothing of it.
    My chicken pasta, I just cover the pasta with boiling water and top up if needed, add two chicken oxos so pasta soaks up some flavour. Then I do not pour the liquid away but it has reduced down as it cooks. Stir in one tin condensed chicken soup and the chicken. I sometimes add onion, mushrooms, broccoli, sweetcorn etc but DS more likely to eat it if I keep it simple and put veg on the side. Its nice and creamy but the condensed chicken soup is only 100 cals per 100 ml. (2 tins for £1 at asda) I served mine with steamed veg, sweet cherry toms, mushrooms and plenty of black pepper. Comfort food ;)

Edit: there is a low fat version of the condensed soup but it is too thin for this recipe and lacks flavour
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £110 a month :eek::eek: I could believe one of my housemates spends that much, but am shocked if that's the average!

Had another massive sinus headache again today, think i'm allergic to the pollen that comes put at this time of year. Had some more 'sorry for myself' treats, and skipped the gym again.

Also think because I know it's a gain tomorrow, i've just let myself continue to eat badly... Time to meal plan for next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure