IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Britannia Parking Notice: Confused, ignore or POPLA?

Hi all,

This evening I received a PCN from Brittania Parking, for being "parked in a restricted area". I was parked in a car park, not within a marked bay, but not on any lines that signified parking was not allowed and not blocking any entrances or exits or any other cars. No payment was needed as I had registered my details with the bingo hall my friends and I were at.
I'm just writing this as I'm a little confused. I've had a PCN in the past from another company and ignored it thanks to advice here, and they did eventually leave me alone. Problem is, I've been reading about this new thing that's come in in October 2012 about Popla appeals and I'm not sure what to do? Do I ignore or do I appeal?

Technically, I was in the wrong as I wasn't in a marked bay....but my car fit in the space without blocking anything or getting in the way of anybody, so I was causing no harm by being parked there. There were no markings on the ground stating parking wasn't allowed there.

Anyone have any advice please? I'm useless at appealing against anything and getting a little worried :(

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do nothing till you get a Notice to Keeper. If you get one, do a simple apply appeal stating you were a customer and you parked without any obstruction in an authorised place and demand photographic evidence.

If car park was full, say that too. Ask them to cancel ticket or send you a POPLA code.

You will probably get a refusal but then we hit them with other points at that point.

In parallel see if the bingo hall can do anything.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi all,

This evening I received a PCN from Brittania Parking, for being "parked in a restricted area". I was parked in a car park, not within a marked bay, but not on any lines that signified parking was not allowed and not blocking any entrances or exits or any other cars. No payment was needed as I had registered my details with the bingo hall my friends and I were at.
    I'm just writing this as I'm a little confused. I've had a PCN in the past from another company and ignored it thanks to advice here, and they did eventually leave me alone. Problem is, I've been reading about this new thing that's come in in October 2012 about Popla appeals and I'm not sure what to do? Do I ignore or do I appeal?

Technically, I was in the wrong as I wasn't in a marked bay....but my car fit in the space without blocking anything or getting in the way of anybody, so I was causing no harm by being parked there. There were no markings on the ground stating parking wasn't allowed there.

Anyone have any advice please? I'm useless at appealing against anything and getting a little worried :(

When you get the postal Notice to Keeper, as Guy's Dad says, (NOT BEFORE) send a challenge to that letter (not mentioning the actual PCN nor the driver nor what happened). Here are some examples:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62538357&posted=1

But usually a strong complaint to the retailers/managers on site, showing that you were a genuine customer, can get these fake PCNs cancelled. And Britannia are as tame as you get and should cancel fairly easily IMHO.

If they don't, post back when you get a POPLA code and in the meantime I urge you to read other threads about POPLA appeals (loads and loads from page 1 backwards have links to POPLA appeal wording!). And read the 'POPLA appeals' success sticky thread at the top of the forum, mainly reading the most recent updates on wins and what the adjudicators said. This will NOT be a short appeal at POPLA stage about mitigating circumstances or 'what happened' (you'd lose if you did that!) so read up on it while waiting, if the bingo hall are useless when you assertively complain about this harassment.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Notice to keeper arrived this morning :( so now where do i go?
  • You appeal using the PPC's process. Use the link Coupon Mad has posted for examples.
  • Ok. They have attached an appeal form, so shall I fill that out too? Also have sent me photos of my car that clearly shows no hashed markings or signs saying I can't park there!
  • Personally I prefer to use electronic ways of appealing because it's free but you'll need to read what they've sent you to see what ways of appealing are offered. If you do send the form then make sure you get free proof of postage.

The photos are worthless.
  • They've said they accept this form attached to an email so I will do that :)
    I was hoping the photos would work in my favour showing I'm not actually blocking anything or in any restricted area?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Make sure you get an acknowledgement as well and if not, send a copy by surface mail with a cert. of posting.

Your appeal point should state that the area where you parked had no restriction notices or lines and that their signage on parking in marked bays was deficient.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 September 2013 at 1:37PM
    Notice to keeper arrived this morning :D so now where do i go?

Corrected that to a smiley grinning face for you...because this is where you will win if you word it right!

They've said they accept this form attached to an email so I will do that :)
    I was hoping the photos would work in my favour showing I'm not actually blocking anything or in any restricted area?

Yep but that's not how you word a winning POPLA appeal. You could include the photos but it would be one point of many. Check the linked thread below:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62180281&posted=1

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure