PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New lifestyle- no use-by dates!

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Eliza252 wrote:
    Look at The Food Standards Agency website, they give good guidelines with respect to storage

Good point! Heres the link: Keeping Food Safe, Storage
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    I have some green beans a fortnight past the use by date but they look OK to me - time to do some 'cast iron stomach' experiments - I dont think beans can do that much harm and I have had in-date ones that looked much worse!
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The thing to remember is that a lot of the evil E numbers that shop-bought/processed food is full of, are preservatives. So good wholesome home-made food is bound to go off a lot quicker than what you're used to.

hhmmmm...... not so sure I agree. With home-made it's only as old as the day you made it. With shop-bought processed food, it could be weeks old already by the time you put it in the trolley. Remember, it was made, packaged, stored, delivered to the supermarket bulk warehouse, stored, delivered to the store and then finally on the shelf. The chain could have been much longer.

The ONLY reason processed food needs all the junk is to preserve it through the horrendously long chain involved in getting it to the shop.

I have to say that my experience is that home-made stuff lasts much longer than shop-bought.

Personally, I ignore use-by & sell-by dates and trust my eyes, nose & mouth. Look at it ... does it look OK? Soup, for example will start to ferment as an indication of bacterial infection. If it looks OK, smell it. If there is no odd smell then taste it - just a little. If it's infected, then it will taste sour or rancid.

I have 2 year old preserves here - home-made, of course. I opened some yesterday for an impromtu lunch and they were absolutely scrummy. And I'm still here, but I do feel odd .... oh-no, this post might be my last ever! ;)

Seriously, don't place too much in the dates used by the manufacturers. Remember that they will err on the side of caution for fear of being sued!

Look, smell & taste will not let you down :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Queenie
    ...... I have 2 year old preserves here - home-made, of course. I opened some yesterday for an impromtu lunch and they were absolutely scrummy. And I'm still here,

When I was a kid, I opened the jam to find it had grown a furry jacket, told my Mum who promptly took it out of my hands :D ...... she scraped the furry jacket off handed it back and said: "Waste not, want not! It'll be fine now." :eek:
    :rotfl:

I'm still here too - unless I've become a figment of my own imagination!? :confused:
  • Big_Nige
    Big_Nige Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post
    Hehehehe I use nose and eyes too, even on stuff that does have a use by label, and will often ignore it ;)

If something is really pushing it's safety margin though I'll risk eating it myself but wouldn't give it to my son, but otherwise I tend to use the 3 day rule for HM food in the fridge. If I know I won't use it by then it goes straight into the freezer.

My mums lentil soup tasted even better on the second day....no side effects yet. Use by dates are for safety to protect the suppliers.. se your eyes & nose as well as reading the label.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Queenie wrote:
    When I was a kid, I opened the jam to find it had grown a furry jacket, told my Mum who promptly took it out of my hands :D ...... she scraped the furry jacket off handed it back and said: "Waste not, want not! It'll be fine now." :eek:

:rotfl: I still do that even now :D

Mouldy cheese/bread ... no problem ... cut off the offending bit and enjoy!!! :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Queenie wrote:
    :rotfl:

I'm still here too - unless I've become a figment of my own imagination!? :confused:

Good on you, Queenie!!!! I was too shy to mention that one. I do it (with cheese) all the time and nobody has died yet.

Once I caught the cat licking the butter :eek: but just scraped the 'lick marks' off and nobody knew any better. I bet I've shocked everyone who doesn't like cats now!!!!!
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    if i know i will use it within a couple of days, leave it in the fridge
    otherwise freeze it
    HM cakes don't last long enough to go off
    if its mouldy (vegetables) cut the manky bit off if poss. If you start to buy only what you need, that is plan a weekly menu you will have less wastage instead. My chickens layed eggs this morning and the buggers forgot to print the date on them LOL
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Queenie
    :rotfl: @ jay bee - our furbaby did that a few days after we adopted him into the family. I scrapped off the offending bits which fed it to the CAT!!! :D The family got the rest hidden in some Dundee Cake - should have burned off any bacteria methought ;)

Another of my Mother's fav adages: "What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over!" (This after some par boiled spuds leapt out the pan onto the floor in a determined effort to avoid a good roasting!)

God, I miss her!!!

As for the cheese, yeppers, I admitted to that on the cheese thread too LOL Bread doesn't last long enough to grow a jacket.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jaybee wrote:
    Good on you, Queenie!!!! I was too shy to mention that one. I do it (with cheese) all the time and nobody has died yet.

Once I caught the cat licking the butter :eek: but just scraped the 'lick marks' off and nobody knew any better. I bet I've shocked everyone who doesn't like cats now!!!!!

No you have made me feel slighlty sick. But that is because I have a phobia about eating things off the floor. As we have moved in to a new property so goodness knows what is lurking in them. Or things touched with out clean hands.

You can scrape mould from cheese but no other food stuffs as it spores will be through out the item.

Yours slightly queasy

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family