Supermarket Car Parking Ticket

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some private contractors use cameras only monitor the exit.Perhaps it was one of these?
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    dounome wrote: »
    I would refuse to pay it, but im just pig headed and dont think they have a right to issue tickets in store carparks. They should spend more time chasing able bodied people who park on disabled bays and skip into the store.

I'm not a fan of car park enforcement either, but if there wasn't some sort of scheme, the supermarket car parks would be full of people parking and going to work, leaving no spaces at all for people wanting to shop.
  • TITEASCRAMP
    TITEASCRAMP Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    Honestly its not a super market carpark. Its a retail Pk with about 60+ stores on it, i dont understnd this tread. I wish Bolton would come back and tell me again whats gone on
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I don't understand all the comments about no contract being formed, I'm afraid, speaking as a lawyer!

You have a carpark with a sign saying parking is free for 1 hour 30 mins, and after this time you will be subject to a fine. An offer. You enter the carpark and park your car. You accept that offer. Offer + acceptance = contract. No need for writing, and the terms are straightforward, upfront, and not unfair. You stay over the hour and 30 mins, thereby bringing into play the penalty cause. What am I missing here?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is said time and again on Pepipoo is that no case like this has ever gone to court.
  • Spart_2
    Spart_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    How can they prove exactly what time you parked to be able to say you were there 1.33 hours? In my local supermarket the Gestapo rep is an old boy wandering around with a notebook, could take him an hour easy to do a tour of the car park. Surely if they cannot prove what time you arrived & left they have no case?
    Your home is at risk if you leave the windows open while out:naughty::naughty::naughty:
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Are you sure they don`t have the Parking eye facility in the car park? I got caught out in Morrison`s car park which had been free parking for years. When I received my fine through the door I checked and was there for more than the stated time but didn`t remember seeing any notices in the car park.

I drove to Morrisons and found a very small sign on the way into the car park stating the condions of use. There were no parking attendents, it was all done via the camera and then fines were sent automatically. Lots of people got caught out because they were used to it being free.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/20/npark20.xml
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • dazco
    dazco Posts: 19,261 Forumite
    Nicki wrote: »
    I don't understand all the comments about no contract being formed, I'm afraid, speaking as a lawyer!

You have a carpark with a sign saying parking is free for 1 hour 30 mins, and after this time you will be subject to a fine. An offer. You enter the carpark and park your car. You accept that offer. Offer + acceptance = contract. No need for writing, and the terms are straightforward, upfront, and not unfair. You stay over the hour and 30 mins, thereby bringing into play the penalty cause. What am I missing here?

But has a private company got the power to "fine" you?

There are 2 different sets of answers on this thread. One half has got it wrong, if people do not know the correct solution ( half of you ) why not shut up?

I would never pay this by the way.
    S!!!!horpe
  • Bunny
    Bunny Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've never noticed any cameras at middlebrook to be honest especiallly with it being sooo big a car park! what is scary is how many people on here are from Bolton!
  • changkra
    changkra Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nicki wrote: »

OK, so what if that notice is not visible. I shop there regularly and to this day have never seen a notice stating 1 hour 30 Min's parking on match days. Surely it has to be visible to all motorists parking up :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure