PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Sounds grand, but it's one of these really thick, cheap soups you could eat with a knife and fork.
Ingredients

3 tsp Olive Oil
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
2 lg cans peeled plum tomatoes in juice
1 lg can chickpeas (drained)
1 tbsp chpped fresh basil
grated parmesan
4 oz Thin Pasta Noodles

Method

Heat oil and cook onion & celery until soft (5-10 mins)

Add tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins

Stir in basil, chick peas and pasta, simmer for 10-15 mins

Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan.

Absolutely yummy !:D Nicked this recipe straight from the back of the pack of noodles, but it's really lovely and very cheap. Oh, but do watch out at end - you may need to add more water as it does start to get very thick and catch. I sometimes add an extra can of chopped tomatoes. Makes loads though.

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This can also be made with bacon if tuna not liked.

The following quantity made enough for 3-4 adult portions and a couple of kids portions.

1/2 onion, softened.
    Add tin chopped tomatoes, pinch of mixed herbs.
    Cook down and then blitz to make into puree.
    Added a couple of dessert spoons of cream cheese (philly type)
    Let it melt in then add tuna (I added one large tin)
    Add sweetcorn
    Warm through and add to cooked pasta.
    Sprinkle with cheese and grill.

Can also add a crushed bag of plain crisps for a crunchy topping. Bit of salad on the side or bread and you should fill them all up for very little.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,862 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cooking oil
    tsp cumin seeds
    2 chillies (fresh, dried or from jar)
    450g lean mince
    large onion
    1 inch cube ginger
    4 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsps cumin
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    tin of tomatoes or 4 fresh skinned
    1/2 tub nat yoghurt
    150 ml water
    100g frozen peas
    tbsp ground almonds
    1/2 tsp garam masala

heat oil and cook cumin seeds until popped,
    add mince, onions and chillis, cook until browned,
    add ginger and garlic fry for 2 mins,
    stir in turmeric, cumin and chilli powder and fry for 2 mins,
    add tomatoes and juice, cook for further 8 mins,
    add water and yoghurt and peas, simmer gently for 15 mins,
    stir in ground almonds and simmer for 3 mins,
    remove from heat, stir in garam masala and serve,
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad

INGREDIENTS:
    t.gif
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, cut into chunks
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    400g braising or stewing beef, cubed
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    150ml red wine
    150ml beef stock
    1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
    12 black or green olives
    1 courgette, cut into large chunks
    1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
    pinch each of salt and ground black pepper

french stick
    butter
    cheese

PREPARATION:
    t.gif
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Remove from the pan and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.

2. Add the diced beef to the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the beef is brown on all sides. Add the tomatoes, wine, stock, basil and olives and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat immediately and add to the ovenproof dish. Season to taste, stir and cover. Cook in the centre of the preheated oven for 1¼ hours.

3. Remove the casserole from the oven and add the chunks of courgette and red pepper. Cover and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.

4. Slice a french stick or similar diagonally and spread with butter or garlic butter, spread on top of casserole sprinkle with lost of cheese and return to oven until cheese bubbles

I took this recipe originally from I-Village and adapted it,
    different toppings can be used
    originally it was olive paste not garlic butter
    different veg can be used in the casserole too
    and sometimes I add wine or beer
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Glad
    500g parsnips, sliced
    50g carrots, diced
    1 large leek, sliced
    1 onion, chopped
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1 tbsp curry paste
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tbsp half fat creme fraiche or cream
    Seasoning
    Enough water to cover the vegetables

Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-35 mins or until the vegetables are tender. Liquidise until smooth along with the creme fraiche. Add extra water to achieve the consistency you prefer
  • Glad
    serves:6 cost per head:27p cals per portion: 260

2 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    225g/8oz red lentils
    1 tbsp oil
    1 sliced onion
    2 potatos, peeled & diced
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    400g can of chickpeas, drained
    4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
    Optional
    crispy fried onions to garnish
    cumin seeds browned to garnish
    coriander leaves to garnish

1. bring 1 pt water to boil. Stir in ginger, cumin and lentils.Season with salt. Simmer for 20 mins or until soft.
    2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan and stirfry onion and potato for 5-10 min, or until nearly soft. Add curry powder, chickpeas, garlic and tomatoes. Cook for a further 3-4 mins before stirring in lentil mixture. Taste and season. Cook gently for 5 mins.
    Garnish with onions, curry seeds and coriander, if using.
    Serve with rice.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Chicken crumble - with leftover chicken...
    try a savoury crumble.use mushroom or chicken soup and some extra veg as a sauce.
    Make a topping the same as for a fruit crumble but add some herbs/spices/salt and enjoy!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    L A Z Y P I Z Z A
    ===================

Preparation time: 10 mins

Cooking time: 20 mins

Ingredients:
    ==============

Dough:
    6 oz (150g) Self raising flour

1 oz (25g) Cooking oil

3 oz (75g) Water

1 pinch Salt

Sauce:
    1/2 tin Tomatos - finely chopped

1 tbsp Tomato ketchup

1 tbsp Tomato puree

1 - 2 drops Tabasco (optional but NOT more!)

1/2 - 1 tsp Dried mixed herbs

Garlic, Salt, and Pepper to taste

Instructions:
    ===============

Turn the oven on to Gas Mark five to preheat. That's 190C or 375F

In a small thick bottomed saucepan place the ingredients for the sauce, bring quickly to the boil and then leave on a high simmer until ready to use (Stir occasionally during preparation).

In a mixing bowl, place the flour and salt, add the oil and work vigourously with a wooden spoon. At this stage there will be no suggestion of a dough, nor even of 'crumbs'. Now add 2/3 of the water and work the dough again. The 'pastry' will be of a thick crumbly nature. Add more water, little by little, working the dough until it is of a soft pliable consistency. For best results, add water until the dough becomes a little sticky - then dust well with flour and rework - not forgetting to stir the sauce...

Prepare all the toppings you have chosen - not forgetting to stir the sauce...

Roll out the pastry thinly to about 12" diameter and place on a baking tray. (being lazy, I roll it out ON the tray)

Spread the sauce over the pastry, add the toppings of your choice, cover these with grated or thinly sliced cheese.

Place in the oven for twenty minutes.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Glad
    1/2 lb (250 g) red lentils,
    2 pints chicken or vegetable stock or water
    1/2 large onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 bay leaf
    3 medium-size carrots
    1 small sweet red pepper
    1 red onion, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    1 to 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 tsp black pepper

In a large saucepan set over high heat, bring lentils and stock/water to a boil. Skim off froth. Stir in chopped onion, garlic, seasonings and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered. Dice carrots and red pepper. Stir into soup. Continue simmering, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Lentils in soup will need a total of about 20 minutes to cook. Stir in red onion, coriander, lemon juice and pepper. Remove bay leaf. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered, up to 3 days or freeze.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Falafel party20.gif

Serves four, prep time 25 mins, cooking time 10-15 mins

650g canned chick peas, drained
    1 x red onion, chopped
    3 x garlic cloves, crushed
    100g wholemeal bread
    2 x small red chillies
    1 x tsp ground cumin
    1 x tsp ground coriander
    1/2 x tsp turmeric
    1 x tbsp chopped fresh coriander + extra for garnish
    1 x egg, beaten
    100g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
    vegetable oil for deep-frying
    salt & pepper

Put the chick peas, onion, garlic, bread, chillies, spices and coriander in a food processor and blend for 30 secs. Stir and season well.

Shape mixture into walnut-sized balls

Egg-and-breadcrumb the balls

Heat the oil to 180 degrees C, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 secs. Fry the falafel in batches for 2 to 3 mins until crisp and browned. Remove and dry on kitchen paper. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with salad and lemon wedges.

More vegetarian recipes please!!!!!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    For all you lucky people growing your own vegetables.....

Basque Ratatouille 23lauc

Serves four

1/2 lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1lb courgettes or marrow, washed and sliced
    1lb tomatoes, chopped
    1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
    1 tsp parsley, chopped
    salt & pepper

Cook the onion and garlic very slowly in the oil for about 10 - 15 mins so that they become translucent and juicy. Then add all the remaining ingredients and simmer with the lid on for about 1/2 an hour. Serve straight away.

Serve a big dollop with crusty bread as a main course or as a side dish. Make loads cos its good cold too. I sometimes add olives and/or capers when serving it cold. Also freezes quite well.
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport