Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2010 at 10:54AM
    Hi poopoo, and welcome to MSE :hello:

Refer to the earlier responses within this thread.

The address provided to you is incorrect. The postcode does not exist as you say. There is a Garratt (note no 's') Lane in Wandsworth, but that is in SW18 4DP and the Wandsworth Volunteer Bureau /Wandsworth Voluntary Sector Development Agency is located at number 170 (which you can safeley assume is not connected at all with the person or organisation that called you), and their postcode is SW18 4DA (slightly different - Garratt Lane is quite a long road.)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Had two calls from this bunch in 24 hrs. First one was a woman who kept asking for my date of birth. I refused and when I asked her to write to me as I would not divulge private details over the phone, she disconnected.
    Just had call no 2- this time a bloke, said my bank was going to return all charges taken in last 6 years. Wanted my DOB again. I asked which bank? - he said don't you know your bank?
    I replied - yes but you don't so F *** off.
    It's no good being on TPS with this lot as they phone from outside the UK.
  • I just had a call from these people. Not just one either, but 4, the last two I did not answer. Somehow they had my 16 digit card details, at least 4 of the security numbers on the reverse and my adress with post code. They would not say where they got these details and were wanting me to confirm all this. With this confirmation they would send me "legal documentation" allowing me to claim £00's of pounds of bank charges back from my bank.
    To give me "confidence in their call, the caller, with a very strong asian accent gave me his name - Peter Parker; hmm, I think I have heard that name before - does this relate to the "web" of intrigue they tried to make!!
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 September 2010 at 1:31AM
    I just had a call from these people. Not just one either, but 4, the last two I did not answer. Somehow they had my 16 digit card details, at least 4 of the security numbers on the reverse and my adress with post code. They would not say where they got these details and were wanting me to confirm all this. With this confirmation they would send me "legal documentation" allowing me to claim £00's of pounds of bank charges back from my bank.
    To give me "confidence in their call, the caller, with a very strong asian accent gave me his name - Peter Parker; hmm, I think I have heard that name before - does this relate to the "web" of intrigue they tried to make!!
    If that is true, don't waste time signing up with a new user account on MSE, get directly on the blower to your card company and explain the apparent breach of security that has occurred.

Btw, it should only be a 3 digit security number on the reverse ;):rotfl:
    Perhaps it was your PIN? :eek: :cool::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Errr - it's a company cold calling, offering financial services (and in connection with a CMC, I use that in the loosest possible sense of the word) it's FOR SURE a scam. No probably about it.
  • Thanks to you both - I did phone the building socity and my new card has now arrived.:) They passed it on to their fraud team. the thing about the reverse of the card - there are 7 digits, a group of 4 then 3, somehow they knew the group of 4. :eek:
    Anyway, hopefully, all sorted but I will keep an eye on the account.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ... the thing about the reverse of the card - there are 7 digits, a group of 4 then 3, somehow they knew the group of 4. :eek:...

Compare those 4 digits to the last 4 of your card number on the front of the card ;)
    (a number you said they knew)
  • This company called themselves 'Claims Online', same address and postcode, offering to recover compensation for injury following a recent bump to my car which was rectified to my complete satisfaction. Basically they suggested that 'back and neck injuries typically suffered in similar accidents could be worth £3000 in compensation'. They claimed to have received details of the accident from 'RTA Management, a government organisation'. As I suffered no injury, I found their approach unethical in seeking to tempt me to claim injury where none existed. I wonder where it would have led if I had agreed that I had indeed suffered injury.....
  • Thought thread might be interested in this. My family is having a spot of bother with BT (YOU know those people who supposedly offer an ethical telephone service)

Two days ago a student who is a student of mine suddenly started moaning about being phoned by people somewhere in an Indian call centre. They knew his bank account number, his address, his phone number etc etc how much was in his bank account.

They said they were UK Claims (the person speaking claimed his name was David Austin or Dave Austin) -

I said to the student... you havent by any chance opened a broadband account with BT recently.

Sudden silence

"Yes" he said

The opening of the BT broadband account was about ten days before he got the series of calls from UK Claims.

He has found out that BT SELL on their customers details (he was told this by a BT online person) but they claimed not to know who UK Claims were.

I am about to post this same message on the BT customer forum discussion list as well.

Rebecca
    PS the student's bank fraud people have changed his card and are doing some investigation into this.
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...He has found out that BT SELL on their customers details (he was told this by a BT online person) ...

Only if the customer gave BT permission to do this. ;)
    Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
    As a normal part of our business we share with other communications companies information for connecting and charging for calls over each others networks.

We sometimes use other companies to provide services to you or to provide services to us. To enable them to do this, we may need to share your personal information with them. When we do so, these companies are required to act in accordance with the instructions we give them and they must meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act to keep the information secure.

We may share your personal information with other parts of BT to enable them to conduct their own businesses and to market their products and services to you. We provide this information in accordance with our code of practice on the disclosure of customer information. This code limits BT's ability to share information in this manner and is intended to prevent BT gaining unfair competitive advantage over its competitors.

We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.

We may provide information, in response to properly made requests, for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. We may also provide information for the purpose of safeguarding national security. In either case we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act. We also provide information when required to do so by law, for example under a court order, or in response to properly made demands, under powers contained in legislation.

If there is a change (or prospective change) in the ownership of BT or any of its assets, we may disclose personal information to the new (or prospective) owner. If we do so, we will require them to keep it confidential.

If you believe the personal information we hold on your is incorrect you may amend it by following the procedure set out below in "How can I change the personal information BT holds about me?"
    http://www.btplc.com/privacypolicy/privacypolicy.htm#Do we share

(my highlighting)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure