IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Court Summons

Around a year ago, a few people I knew got parking tickets from Parking Eye and ignored them, and never heard back. But a few months ago, a family member received one, ignored it like others have and then got sent a Northamptonshire Court Summons letter from Parking Eye.

The ticket was from over staying in a car park in Cambridge.

Is there anything they can do, I know now that you shouldn't ignore this, but is it possible to get out of it now, or will they have to pay the £150+ fine?

I believe that it doesn't matter who the driver was now? You cannot see the driver in the pictures they attached.

Comments

• E34M5
    E34M5 Posts: 20 Forumite
    We have been ignoring these letters and now my wife wants to pay, I can't attach the letter as I am a new user but I would value any advice on what to do. Do you think I should seek legal advice?

LETTER BEFORE COUNTY COURT CLAIM

Basically it says at the end of the letter that, "unless payment of £85 is made within the next 14 days further action will be taken and court proceedings will be issued, which will incur further costs. These costs will include, but are not limited to £50 solicitor's costs and £15 court claim issue fees."
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What date did the letter arrive and who has headed it ?
    The solicitors they use are suspended and should not be posting anything.
    Be happy...;)
  • E34M5 wrote: »
    We have been ignoring these letters and now my wife wants to pay, I can't attach the letter as I am a new user but I would value any advice on what to do. Do you think I should seek legal advice?

Basically it says at the end of the letter that, "unless payment of £85 is made within the next 14 days further action will be taken and court proceedings will be issued, which will incur further costs. These costs will include, but are not limited to £50 solicitor's costs and £15 court claim issue fees."

Which PPC have been sending you these letters? Notice the first two threads have different usernames, maybe these are different claims? Would suggest starting a new thread, makes it easier for people to help.
    This is my *anonymous* account on MSE Forums - I post under a different username normally.
  • E34M5
    E34M5 Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2013 at 6:31PM
    The letter is headed, 'Parking Eye' and it is dated 11th Oct, it arrived today.

It is signed by, 'ParkingEye Legal Department'

Sorry this is a new claim, I have started a new thread
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,661
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 16 October 2013 at 8:07PM
    E34M5 wrote: »

Your case is completely different and easily sorted as you are not at court papers stage. I have replied on your thread.

7ewis wrote: »
    Around a year ago, a few people I knew got parking tickets from Parking Eye and ignored them, and never heard back. But a few months ago, a family member received one, ignored it like others have and then got sent a Northamptonshire Court Summons letter from Parking Eye.

Is there anything they can do, I know now that you shouldn't ignore this, but is it possible to get out of it now, or will they have to pay the £150+ fine?

I believe that it doesn't matter who the driver was now? You cannot see the driver in the pictures they attached.

No it doesn't matter who was driving but this isn't the time to just fold and pay. It is possible to get out of it but requires the family member being proactive and acknowledging the claim, complaining to the landowner/retailer ASSERTIVELY, and submitting a skeleton (bullet point) defence. Are they up for trying?

Just like hundreds of other people (and I mean hundreds) as posted on every third or fourth thread on pepipoo:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Read the advice already there on the first, say, 20 PE court claim threads you find on the first few pages. There is loads of advice about submitting a defence and most of these do not end up in a hearing. Read and learn what others have already done and how far they have got with stopping this 'steamroller' rogue PPC called PE.

But beware, the court threat is now real and does require an acknowledgement and defence being submitted within strict deadlines. Read the other threads and learn; I hope your relative would rather give the MASSIVE complaint to the retail CEO or Store Managers, and the online defence, their best shot. If it doesn't work out at least they will have tried - but many, many people get these quashed even at this stage by the client in the car park. And if it really comes to nothing they can still pay at ANY time before a hearing or make PE an offer if it comes to it (but I really hope they can complain assertively enough to stop this).

Read back a good few pages on that pepipoo forum and then post again here to tell us if your relative is up for this fight? Post on pepipoo as well if you wish but the advice will be the same as you will read on other threads anyway. You will be amazed and impressed by the fightback some newbies manage - and do tell your relative it is risk-free because they are already in the firing line and they can always pay up and fold if they play their best hand and it comes to nowt.

Also there's no CCJ even if someone loses in court as long as they pay straight away after the judgment - so don't let them make a knee-jerk decision, thinking this is all about their credit rating when it is UNAFFECTED. Remember most cases never go near a court, as you will see on pepipoo.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • tomba_2
    tomba_2 Posts: 63
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mmm...sounds like an idle Court threat to me...familiar....got this over a year ago from a company in Scotland...nothing heard since...but then I never replied to ANY of their letters.
    I think it's a scam...don't panic!
  • martmonk
    martmonk Posts: 863
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tomba, unless I'm very much mistaken Livingston is in Scotland. ignoring in Scotland is fine.

However in England and Wales this is not the case, please read the threads here to understand fully and please do not advise posters to ignore court papers, PPC's and in particular Parking Eye who are the subject of this thread ARE doing court.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I am a bit concerned that OP's query may have been overlooked as this thread appears to have been hijacked by E34M5 and is now quite confusing.

So just in case the original post by 7ewis has got missed.......

1. You need to go to MCOL, file the Acknowledgment of Service, and request time to defend. This extends the time for filing a defence to 28 days

2. There is a useful post here by Coupon-mad (she posts as schoolrunmum on PPP)

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...t=#entry862298

Follow the links and you will get an idea of how to formulate a defence

3. Have you complained to the hotel? They can cancel the charge even at this late stage.

See THIS thread for success stories, including hotels, and see post 3 for advice on making a successful complaint

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4766249

D
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2013 at 11:56PM
    ''There is a useful post here by Coupon-mad (she posts as schoolrunmum on PPP)''

Link didn't work, did you mean to post this one, Daisy?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=82744&st=0&gopid=862298

HTH - follow the links, 7ewis.
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite

Any update? Got it cancelled by the retail managers yet by loudly complaining? Do update your thread. Help is out there, see this to help with your case, I do hope you haven't folded.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/do-you-have-court-hearing-with.html

A lot has happened with PE small claims in recent weeks, read the blogs there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure