MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

1121314151618»

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have finally received my sticker for the mail box from Royal Mail. Looks like I'm the only person in the whole street that have it. That shows how unsociable individual I am ;)

Most people don't even know the scheme exists. I rang Postcomm after the scheme started and even they didn't know.

To date, I have received 20 opt-out stickers. I am still waiting for about another 80! It took 4 weeks from the time of ordering to when the first one arrived.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,574
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I got mine yesterday too.
    One I have is fading fast, hope this one is more up to the job.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    KxMx wrote: »
    I got mine yesterday too.
    One I have is fading fast, hope this one is more up to the job.

Any difference between old and new stickers you have? The older ones I have seen have red writing over three lines. The newer ones have black writing over 2 lines.
  • UK007BullDog
    UK007BullDog Posts: 2,607
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have my sticker too. Its very small and white with black writing. I do not think the postie will notice it on my white door.

On a by-note, I noticed that the posties (Royal Mail and the other delivery services) do what they want. I found a couple of packages from Amazon placed behind my bins, totally wet and must have been there for a couple of days as I did not see them coming home in the dark. and a delivery service chucked a package over the fence again. At least they left a notice that its in the garden. Luckily it was wrapped in plastic.
  • Our Postman is too busy to be bothered trying to leave mail with neighbours, our post arrives mid afternoon, they seem to have cut right back and I feel sorry for him trudging round in all weathers. There tracking system is a joke and the only way I can be sure I get a urgent package delivered is to wait in.
    I have now been waiting four days for one.
  • Reading all the posts had me laughing and cringing in turns. However, apart from the hassle of trying to get your post from some unknown neightbour (oh, you live there do you!), what about the contract you have with your supplier.
    You pay a sum (and some are quite high) to have a parcel delivered to your address unless specified otherwise. For the RM to now say they are going to hand the parcel to someone else at another address, is in effect rending the contract with your supplier null and void. Should we now demand a lower price for delivery from suppliers, given that the parcel(s) may now not be delivered to us?
    And surely does the RM not also have a contract with the suppliers to deliver the parcels to the address written on them and not to some other.
    There have over the last few years new companies that have appeared, that for a small fee will take delivery of your parcels and then notify you of a delivery whereby you can then collect it at a time to suit you. However, what happens when that office is closed for lunch, having a fire drill, closed for holidays etc. do all those parcels get handed to a neighbouring office/property? One hopes not.
    If you accept a contract to deliver an item to a particular address, then that contract has to be completed; end of story.

Why of why, hasn't the RM got to grips with the 21st century and started texting or emailing addresses to let them know that there is a parcel coming. You could then let them know when it is convenient or make arrangements to be in, still letting RM know. This doesn't have to man mananged (sorry, ladies also). The info could be stamped automatically on the package when scanned. The software and hardware justs needs to be updated. This in the long run would be much cheaper. No wasted man (& ladies) hours, and no delivering to a wrong address. Of course there will cases whereby you have an emergency but surely texting the info directly to a contact number, the data could be updated to the post(wo)man whilst either on their rounds or just prior. The technology is available, it just seems that the RM doesn't want to spend the money to use it. However, with time marching on, eventually they will have to. Otherwise, the time will come when items of post, be it parcels or just ordinary mail will no longer be available for them to deliver. And then another company bites the dust! Either get on board with technology or disappear!
    Their current system is archaic and not in keeping with what is available today.
    I wonder if there has been any recent time and motion study on the whole of the RM operations? It would be interesting to read, I think! :rotfl:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    peaches48 wrote: »
    Reading all the posts had me laughing and cringing in turns. However, apart from the hassle of trying to get your post from some unknown neightbour (oh, you live there do you!), what about the contract you have with your supplier.
    You pay a sum (and some are quite high) to have a parcel delivered to your address unless specified otherwise. For the RM to now say they are going to hand the parcel to someone else at another address, is in effect rending the contract with your supplier null and void. Should we now demand a lower price for delivery from suppliers, given that the parcel(s) may now not be delivered to us?
    And surely does the RM not also have a contract with the suppliers to deliver the parcels to the address written on them and not to some other.
    There have over the last few years new companies that have appeared, that for a small fee will take delivery of your parcels and then notify you of a delivery whereby you can then collect it at a time to suit you. However, what happens when that office is closed for lunch, having a fire drill, closed for holidays etc. do all those parcels get handed to a neighbouring office/property? One hopes not.
    If you accept a contract to deliver an item to a particular address, then that contract has to be completed; end of story.

Why of why, hasn't the RM got to grips with the 21st century and started texting or emailing addresses to let them know that there is a parcel coming. You could then let them know when it is convenient or make arrangements to be in, still letting RM know. This doesn't have to man mananged (sorry, ladies also). The info could be stamped automatically on the package when scanned. The software and hardware justs needs to be updated. This in the long run would be much cheaper. No wasted man (& ladies) hours, and no delivering to a wrong address. Of course there will cases whereby you have an emergency but surely texting the info directly to a contact number, the data could be updated to the post(wo)man whilst either on their rounds or just prior. The technology is available, it just seems that the RM doesn't want to spend the money to use it. However, with time marching on, eventually they will have to. Otherwise, the time will come when items of post, be it parcels or just ordinary mail will no longer be available for them to deliver. And then another company bites the dust! Either get on board with technology or disappear!
    Their current system is archaic and not in keeping with what is available today.
    I wonder if there has been any recent time and motion study on the whole of the RM operations? It would be interesting to read, I think! :rotfl:

They have,its called Royal Mail Tracked. its been in use by RM for years now
  • The leave with neighbour scheme is a cheap excuse so Royal Mail don`t have to extend the opening hours in the depot/callers office.
  • peaches48 wrote: »
    Reading all the posts had me laughing and cringing in turns. However, apart from the hassle of trying to get your post from some unknown neightbour (oh, you live there do you!), what about the contract you have with your supplier.

Royal Mail will be testing a system similar to usps tracking next year.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I'm very lucky to have decent neighbours.

Our postman was already dropping off parcels with neighbours before it became official policy.

I've got no problems with taking in parcels for neighbours - they've taken in my parcels, so I'm happy to return the compliment.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family