This thread is specifically for reporting successful

SPLIT TICKETING ROUTES
as mentioned in my

Cheapest Train Fares Article

For OTHER ISSUES please use the
Cheapest Train Fares Discussion Thread

To add a comment just click reply

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• olympian
    olympian Posts: 162 Forumite
    Split at York to give Blackburn - York and York - Newcastle. Cheaper for saver returns, also even greater savings between York and Newcastle by using advance purchase on GNER or value fares on Virgin for that portion of journey.
  • I've made some great savings on the journey Peterborough to Cardiff, via Birmingham New Street. You travel on the same trains but splitting the journey/tickets into two stages Peterboro- B'ham then B'ham- Cardiff saves a lot of money. I always buy on the Trainline site and also make huge savings booking 2 singles. So for this return journey you may have to book 4 tickets, but save £££££££'s. e.g. Saver return Cardiff - Peterboro I was quoted £81:00. Buying a combination of tickets (in the latest case, Saver return Cardiff- B'ham and two singles for the Peterboro leg) the total came to £62. But I have done it a lot cheaper than this in the past.
  • djw_2
    djw_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Splitting at Wolverhamton seems to give some good savings.
  • JaneAire
    JaneAire Posts: 17 Forumite
    I couldn't get a cheap ticket to travel from Leeds to Newcastle on a Friday at the time I wanted to travel, so I got a cheap day Leeds-York ticket then a Virgin Value from York-Newcastle (staying on the same train). Cost is 9.50 plus 9 = 18.50 instead of 32.40 for a standard single. Very pleased with myself!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    swansea to preston, split at crewe and if booked early enough, book 2 singles, saved about £40 all together of straight reurn price.
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had to go Crewe to Bournemouth and Trainline said only full fare tickets available for travel less than a weeke away. By buying Crewe to London then London to Bournemouth I paid only about £10 more to go first class Crewe to London, then on return leg I split the journey at Oxford which allowed me to go first class from Oxford back to Crewe and still save £18 over the usual single fare! I love going first as you don't get so claustrophobic so this is a huge bonus. Always check the single fares as the value advance first class tickets on Virgin are amazingly cheap - eg my Crewe to London was £40 first class vs full fare of £137 first, £84.50 2nd.

I thought I was a dab hand at trainline.com so thanks for this tip!
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Unfortunately, on Virgin West Coast a lot of the options are stymied by peak hour trains not having many intermediate stops, which is great for speed of travel, not so great for this kind of wheeze. E.g. the 0651 from Preston doesn't stop anywhere south of Stafford, 1715 from London doesn't stop anywhere south of Warrington. However, have picked out the following combination to demonstrate things can be done for Preston (Lancaster, Wigan, Warrington will be similar);

0718 Preston - Rugby, returning on 1834 from Rugby is available as a Saver Return, £49.30.
    Remaining on same train down, Rugby-London cheapest fare is £32.50 (Advance standard B). Travelling from London on same return train (leaves London at 1745) costs £32.50 - again Advance Standard B.
    Total cost = £114.30.

By comparison, booking straight through to London
    Preston - London on 0718 = Advance Standard B = £68
    London - Preston on 1745 = Advance Standard B = £68
    Total cost = £136

...ie £21.70 saving.
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • Go visit Scotland, for under £15 return if you're lucky

Wrexham Glasgow according to National Rail

Saver Return £78.80
    Open Return £127.00

By going Wrexham-Manchester-Glasgow

Saver Return Wrexham-Manchester £12.60
    Mega train Manchester- Glasgow from £1.00 each way!

Total Price £14.60

Saving a minimum of £64.20 but could well be a saving of over £100!!!!!!!!
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cowbagger wrote:
    I always buy on the Trainline site and also make huge savings booking 2 singles.
    And do you pay the fee for CC use? AFAIK none of the train operating companies charge for CC use if you book through them
  • SINGLE York to Banbury £14
    SINGLE Banbury to Haddenham £4.90
    SINGLE Haddenham to Banbury £4.90
    SINGLE Banbury to York £14

Total cost: £37.80

Saver return cost: £60.80
    Single York to Haddenham: £56.60

Go figure!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories