mobile carer - petrol allowance help

Hi, i am starting a new job on monday as a mobile carer.I was informed at my interview that i could claim back petrol allowance as i would be doing about 40 miles per day(5 days a week).This claim used to be off the company i am about to work for but its now changed as a claim via the goverment.I didnt pressure too much at the interview as to how to claim and how much could be claimed as i was just happy to get the job, but i believe it is around 25p a mile.Does anybody have a similar job or have any knowledge about this.I appeciate claims may varie from each company,but as its a goverment claim i thought it may be a bit more of a standard sort of rate of claim back.Anyway sorry to bore you but i would appreciate any help.Many thanks

Comments

• Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    I work for a county council and they pay 35p and my mum's company is a charity and they pay 42p so I'd say somewhere around there.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • Thanks for your reply gemmzie.I was wondering more as to how you claim.Is it at the end of tax year? And how do you tend to keep a record of mileage (bang on accurate) or do you get a bit of leeway as in a couple of mile here and there, how would it be checked.Should have been more clear in first post sorry about that.Thanks again
  • livinginhope
    livinginhope Posts: 1,897
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi harry58,you put in a claim at the end of the year to the tax office,can't remember the form number but your employer will tell you,or give it to you.You can get 40p/mile paid back from the tax you have paid,you can also claim for shoes,washing of uniforms and anything else needed for work like torches.Oh I nearly forgot you can also put in claims for MOTs/tyres/repairs,good luck with the job,it's something you either love or hate,but give it time before you decide which it is :D
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    the rates the inland revenue set are 40p for the first 10000 miles then 25p for all milage over.If you go over 10000 at 40p there is tax to pay.
    this rate would cover all the running costs of the car so you would not be able to put in seperate claim for mot/repairs etc.

donnalove
    xx
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    I'm given an official looking form, have to enclose one reciept a month for petrol (for VAT purposes).

Mileage is recorded on there, so it's quite accurately done.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Harry

I'm not sure if a few things are getting confused here.

Your employer should pay you a mileage allowance, which can be any rate they choose to set.

Then, over and above that, you can claim the difference between the amount you are paid, and the official Inland Revenue rates, as a taxable expense - which means you get 22% of it (or 40% if you were so lucky).

The Inland Revenue tax deduction isn't a substitute for the employer paying you something - if they are making out that's all you'll get that's ridiculous.

40p x 22% is only 8.8p per mile which is not even enough to cover petrol (or diesel for that matter).

Mobile care employers might likely pay you about 15p a mile and expect you to claim back tax on 25p which is around 6p at 22%, so in total you'd be effectively getting 21p a mile which is slightly less bad (but still far short of the total costs of running a decent car).
  • Thanks for all the replys.The company i start with tommorow just said i claim back at the end of tax year no mention of as to how i keep a log file of my miles,this is were i am confused as to how i keep a record do i just count each day and keep record.I would of thought it would need to be signed each day or something simaler.They also said they wont contribute anything themselves towards this,they said they used to but dont now as it was being abused.They have gave me a uniform which i have to wash every day myself and after 3 months they will give me another.I have to buy my own
    appropriate trousers and shoes to which they specify.I have my rota for next week and i reckon i will do about 100 mile a week on average.Im allowed 5mins to get to next visit anymore than that i lose pay.
  • HI

Hope you enjoy the job, I've been doing it for years for an agency

My agency pays 20p a mile and the allowance is 40p from the government

So at the end of the tax year, I ring my tax office and ask for a self assesment form and just fill in the relevent bits, (they send you the right ones)

They want to know how much you've been paid for milage over the year, so you do need to record yours, although I have estimated mine a lot!

I have a uniform which I wash myself and there is a £45 allowance for this.
    Some tax helplines say there isn't but there is!!
    Fill it in on the form

I do mine online it's easier
  • BenD_3
    BenD_3 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I am PAYE but use my own car for business use.
    I get 15p per mile.
    So I can claim back the tax up2 40p (22% of)?
    How do I prove this to on the form as I give my milage and receipts to my employer?

Any1 got a link to the 'form'?

Also does this mean I can claim back for my work stuff like shirts?
    Wud I need proof of purchase for these?

Thanks for ur help ppl;)
  • I am becoming a mobile carer next week but i can nto find any info about petrol allowance, my company only pays 20p per mile, how can i claim the rest - IS THERE A HELPLINE PHONE NUMBER - WHO DO I CALL PLS???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure