DPD Driver Franchise

Comments

• This type of thing isn't real self employment, you are still dictated to, it's just that firms like DPD have got around employment legislation.

It is sub-contracting to their rules. I mean, that £150 fine, is in effect you fining yourself for having a day off! Well it would be if you were really self employed.

And if you were really self employed then why are you told what holidays you can have?!

I was genuinely self employed in this sector, as I had my own vehicles and customers, and could do what I wanted!

I moved on to something better but I'd never advise anyone to take up a franchise with muppets like DPD and the rest.
  • Strange how two posters have resurrected this thread in the companys defence as they have just started advertising their franchises all over the web ;)

:rotfl:

I was was a bit dubious about the "aren't DPD great!" comments that have poppped up on two threads recently. Hmmm....!
  • Hi all, glad to see everyones got there opinion. Personally, dont put negitives on a job when you havent even done the bloody job!
    Right, im in the process of starting up with dpd as a franchise....
    Yes it is £1300 up front , £1000 of that is the deposit for leasing the van. £150 if you don't turn in for work, but yes you have to realise that dpd need to pay someone to carry out YOUR CONTRACT!.
    I'm on the business course all next week (unpaid) but you do get a £300 bonus in your 2nd months wage as thank you for attending the course.
    You don't need to do 6 days a week, i'm not going to do saturdays as im a youth football coach.
    £25 you have to pay for a basic disclosure.
    You do need to be commited to the job but its the same as any self employed job, but if you don't then go for an easy £6 an hour/ £200 a week job.
    I start on the 23rd april and i will keep this blog updated so it gives everyone an idea on taking out a franchise with dpd.
  • Hi, have you any reccomendation for everyday health insurance? Were all human, and if i break my leg or something more serious then i want to ensure im covered while at dpd.

Also, what depot do you run from?
    Goli1 wrote: »
    I've just stumbled upon this thread whilst searching for some details for my nephew, so I apologise for resurrecting a *buried* thread - however I feel it may be pertinent to correct some misguided or indeed incorrect information.

I am a current franchisee for DPD with nearly 17 years under my belt, and maybe an extra 1 as an employee of Parceline (DPD's former name).
    One of the biggest problems we have is the opinion of our *employed* colleagues who, frankly have no idea of what a franchise involves or the costs therein.
    Linehaul drivers do have it quite easy (one of my best friends is a current linehaul driver) - but they don't earn anywhere near the money I earn. And a blowout costing 30% of your income? Seriously, do you really actually believe that?

A franchise at DPD is one of the cheapest start-up businesses around (£1300) and the current earning expectations of a new franchisee to earn up to £30k ish *after* direct expenses. Direct expenses are things such as vehicle lease, insurances, fuel and service costs. Other indirect expenses such as your own mobile phone, holiday cover, accountancy etc are not included in this figure but as they are tax deductable (and with different tax rates for self employed or limited companies) should be easily swallowed.

Im not going to say its all roses. If you are don't turn in for work, you do not earn anything and you will get fined £150, but then if you are the sort of person who feels the need to stay in bed because you have a cold then don't run your own business. I have only been fined on one occasion, after an accident at work - and the only reason they fined me was to cover their own procedures as they knew I would have to sue them to cover my own losses (funny old world, huh?). There have been occasions when I have had an upset stomache, migraine etc and I have rung up explained the situation and either turned up later in the day when I was better or just been told to "get well soon, we'll cover it".

If you have a blowout, you will have to pay for it - what did you expect, the tyre fairy to come and fix your van for you? When I leased a van from them I bought and carried my own spare tyre etc and researched which companies were cheaper to call out in cases of emergency. But even if you use ATS to fix your van it would never cost 30% of weekly profit.

You have to pay for a manual handling course? Sure, but why not - YOU ARE SELF EMPLOYED! Just as an update I believe these courses are now supplied free, at least the refresher courses are.

Long hours? Sure, i'm at the depot for 6:30 most days and some days I'll work 12 hours and others i'll work 8 - it's the luck of the draw and dependent on business/route.

I do hear a lot of naysayers when talking about DPD franchises sometimes, mostly from the ill-informed, the jealous or just the plain ignorant. If you can handle the life, the hours and the work load you can earn a very decent living. I have managed to support my family to a very high standard and now own 2 houses - all thanks to my franchise career at DPD. I would throughly recommend a franchise to anyone who asks me, provided they walk in with their eyes open and realise that it's not an employed job. If you become self-employed then take responsibility for your own actions, prepare for the worst case scenario if you can (tyres?) and be prepared to work hard to achieve what you want to.

Oh and mostly, I would advise those who have no in-depth experience of a subject matter to keep your opinions based on what you know, not on the hearsay or misguided opinions you pick up. Had I seen this message earlier I would have advised the OP, an un-employed family man, to go for it as it is certainly a less risky venture than the one he plumped for - I hope he was ultimately successful in what he did though.
  • Hi Andrewsjohn,

I am also looking at becoming a DPD ODF, what do you think so far?
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So hang on, you pay £1.3k and they only let you take 2 weeks off in total for a whole year of working 6 days a week?

2 weeks? That isn't generous at all. Thats shocking and the fact that you pay for the privilege of as little time off as possible :eek:

Strange how two posters have resurrected this thread in the companys defence as they have just started advertising their franchises all over the web ;)

I think you may have missed the bit about them being self employed? , I cant remember if the poster said they got paid for those 2 weeks , or maybe they didnt get fined? .........if you fail to turn up , apparently you do get fined , so say to cover the costs of a replacement

However I would be surprised if its such a brilliant job , I dont know anyone with a DPD francise , but am in the transport business and know people who have worked for similar set ups ........but not for long !

About 15 years ago we were involved in parcel deliveries and we were only getting a few £ per delivery , it would take some doing to nett the figures quoted . Transport running costs are horrendous and if your deliveries are far and wide you arent going to earn much per mile driven
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • pelirocco
    Hi all, glad to see everyones got there opinion. Personally, dont put negitives on a job when you havent even done the bloody job!
    Right, im in the process of starting up with dpd as a franchise....
    Yes it is £1300 up front , £1000 of that is the deposit for leasing the van. £150 if you don't turn in for work, but yes you have to realise that dpd need to pay someone to carry out YOUR CONTRACT!.
    I'm on the business course all next week (unpaid) but you do get a £300 bonus in your 2nd months wage as thank you for attending the course.
    You don't need to do 6 days a week, i'm not going to do saturdays as im a youth football coach.
    £25 you have to pay for a basic disclosure.

You do need to be commited to the job but its the same as any self employed job, but if you don't then go for an easy £6 an hour/ £200 a week job.
    I start on the 23rd april and i will keep this blog updated so it gives everyone an idea on taking out a franchise with dpd.

have spent the last 20 years running a transport company , so know how hard it is to make it pay

What do DPD pay per drop ? , have they said how many drops you are expected to do , and how many miles a route will cover in a day ?

Do you know what your insurance costs will be? that's vehicle as well as public liability?
    Does your lease cover any repairs? , servicing ? Mot costs? do they give you a replacement when its off the road?

How and more importantly when will you get paid?

Are you responsible for paying for the fuel for the van? if so will you be vat registered to claim back the vat ?

Will you be self employed as in the true sense of the word? ie responsible for paying your own tax and NI?
  • pelirocco
    Gilbert2 wrote: »
    This type of thing isn't real self employment, you are still dictated to, it's just that firms like DPD have got around employment legislation.

It is sub-contracting to their rules. I mean, that £150 fine, is in effect you fining yourself for having a day off! Well it would be if you were really self employed.

And if you were really self employed then why are you told what holidays you can have?!

I was genuinely self employed in this sector, as I had my own vehicles and customers, and could do what I wanted!

I moved on to something better but I'd never advise anyone to take up a franchise with muppets like DPD and the rest.

I have wondered how they get around the self employed thing , because of course the drivers cant be , as they cant pick and chose who they work for .
  • Anyone actually working for DPD as a franchisee? I'd be most grateful for any info you could provide.
    Thanks
  • Likewise, considering taking a franchise so would appreciate any advise from existing or ex drivers at DPD ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback