TMPP complaint success, but...

I had Halifax TMPP on my first ever mortgage in 2003. I complained that it was missold as I wasn't told that I could look elsewhere for an alternative policy. I have had a response now and they are refunding me PPI portion of the policy at £609.33 including interest. (I only had the mortgage about 18 months then I sold the place)

My question is though, what about the other parts? Apparently TMPP was made up of mortgage repayment cover (PPI essentially), life cover and critical illness cover. Surely my reasons for being missold apply to all of these, which I naively didn't realise I could shop around for (first mortgage, fresh out of uni, a bit wet behind the ears!) I'm not sure why they have only taken my complaint to refer to the MRC part of the insurance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I complained that it was missold as I wasn't told that I could look elsewhere for an alternative policy.

That is not a valid complaint reason and any other firm or bank would reject your complaint. However, Halifax are currently auto upholding PPI complaints so you are getting lucky.
    . Surely my reasons for being missold apply to all of these

Did you state that in your complaint and give your reasons?
    I naively didn't realise I could shop around for

That is not grounds for complaint. Halifax can only retail their own product and are not required to tell you that you can shop around. It is only by luck you are getting a refund on the PPI.
    I'm not sure why they have only taken my complaint to refer to the MRC part of the insurance.

If your complaint was about PPI and not about life assurance or any of the other things you hold with them then they would not have any reason to look at those other things.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    That is not a valid complaint reason and any other firm or bank would reject your complaint. However, Halifax are currently auto upholding PPI complaints so you are getting lucky.
    I disagree, one of the main reasons given for misselling PPI is that the seller didn't make it clear the policy was optional. I knew that an insurance policy was necessary for a mortgage. They let me think that the only way to do that was through them. I'm not lucky, I have a valid complaint.

dunstonh wrote: »
    Did you state that in your complaint and give your reasons?
    Yes, I complained about the TMPP as a whole, not the MRC portion of it and gave my reasons.

That is not grounds for complaint. Halifax can only retail their own product and are not required to tell you that you can shop around. It is only by luck you are getting a refund on the PPI.
    Thankfully I didn't state naivety as my grounds for complaint.

If your complaint was about PPI and not about life assurance or any of the other things you hold with them then they would not have any reason to look at those other things.
    See above, I didn't complain solely about the PPI portion of the product.

SO, my original question still stands. Should the complaint process not have taken into account all portions of the product?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I disagree, one of the main reasons given for misselling PPI is that the seller didn't make it clear the policy was optional.

You can disagree but very few complaints are upheld on that reason. Its unprovable.
    I'm not lucky, I have a valid complaint.

You are lucky because that reason alone would not have seen an upheld decision elsewhere unless it is under their floor limit for auto upheld. Halifax have such a backlog they are auto upholding even though you dont have a strong case.
    SO, my original question still stands. Should the complaint process not have taken into account all portions of the product?

If you made it clear it was all elements of it then ask them why they have only done the PPI part.

Be wary though, a complaint paid out under floor limit with no case to answer may take it over the floor limit if you start looking for larger amounts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure