Over 60 rail card

I am 60 in May and I can apply for my bus pass up to 3 months before my birthday and it will be delivered approx a week before.[ I live on Merseyside and 60 is still the eligible age. Very MSE as I normally pay £600.00 for a yearly bus pass.]

Does anyone know how soon I can apply for a rail card as there is no info on the website? I am planning on travelling by train the day before my birthday so will obviously be buying in advance to save money.

Thanks

Mags
:hello: N:hello:A :hello:N :hello:A :hello:M :hello:A :hello:G :hello:S :hello:

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You dont get your bus pass these days till you are eligible, and it will be around when you actually qualify for your state pension.

Rail cards, dont know whether you realise that these are not free, you have to buy them at a discounted price.
    You wont be able to use them until after you qualify and I dont know if this is linked to your pension age either.

Check on the website for details.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Senior Railcards are available from your 60th birthday.

Currently cost £26 for one year, or £65 for three years.

There are often offers of 10% or 25% discounts... bringing the one year card's price down to £23.40 or £19.50.

As suggested above, see the website.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Senior railcards are excellent, they reduce late booking to much lower costs and early bookings can be very cheap:cool:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just worth pointing out that if you are eligible for a Disabled Persons Railcard, then that can work out better value, because any companion also gets a discount, whether disabled or not. Disability can include a hearing loss.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You can buy rail tickets online using a senior railcard without actually having the railcard - as long as you have one when you actually travel. The website doesn't ask for any 'proof'

So you could buy the tickets in advance online and buy the railcard at the station on the day of travel.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    dzug1 wrote: »
    You can buy rail tickets online using a senior railcard without actually having the railcard - as long as you have one when you actually travel. The website doesn't ask for any 'proof'

So you could buy the tickets in advance online and buy the railcard at the station on the day of travel.
    I'd leave plenty of time for that, and double check beforehand that you can do it at the station you are leaving from! and that your ID is up to date.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Just a note to male readers of this topic ....

Some councils have a policy of not age-descriminating for men - so for example Test Valley Borough Council state:
    You may apply provided that you are a full-time, permanent resident within the Test Valley Borough Council area, and fall into one (or more) of the following categories:
    • You are a woman who has reached state pension age
    • You are a man who has reached the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day as you (see Eligibility date)
    It's clearly worthwhile checking and not presuming that men will not get their passes until their normal retirement age.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    uk1 wrote: »
    Just a note to male readers of this topic ....

Some councils have a policy of not age-descriminating for men - so for example Test Valley Borough Council state:

It's clearly worthwhile checking and not presuming that men will not get their passes until their normal retirement age.

Worth checking yes - but I (a male) have had a bus pass since I was 60 and I don't think the age limit has changed other than in line with the female pension age.

And I don't think it's council policy - it's national
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2011 at 1:40PM
    This topic is about Railcards not the National Bus Pass.

The Senior Railcard is nothing to do with the local council. Its terms & conditions have not changed. It is available to anyone over 60 for a fee.

(It is a requirement for ALL English councils to offer a bus passes to men from the current WOMEN's retirement age which is increasing from month to month from 60 to 65. Nowhere do men currently have to wait until 65.)
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Still 60 for a bus pass in Wales and Scotland.

Tesco sell Rail Passes for £26, presumably you key in a number to the relevant website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure