Tesco staff Privilege Card

Comments

• daymo
    daymo Posts: 171 Forumite
    I knew Tescos were cheapskates, but that takes the biscuit!!!
    I dont think we have hit that limit in the last 10+ yrs that mybetter half has been working for them!
    I would love some decent telly on a Saturday night
  • The only person you can sign the discount card over to is your husband or wife, you used to be able to sign it over to your mum or dad as long as they lived at the same address, which was good if you were a young person living at home as it's usually your mum or dad that does the shopping. But they stopped that a few years back, probably costing Tesco too much money :rolleyes: 10% discount :eek:
    I have worked for them for over 15 years and I have never reached the discount limit but some people in my shop are over it every year.
    My daughter works for Boots so I have discount card for there too as they give the staff member one and give one to a family member as long as they live at the same address, also their discount is far better than Tesco's with no upper limit. Pity Boots don't sell food :cry:
    The discount at Boots is 22.5% on Boots products,
    12.5% on Non-Boots products,
    and 15% on all online purchases.
    She also got a discount card right away just to use in her own store and after 3 months she got a proper one to use in all the stores and online.:T
    I think this is better than Tesco's as I think waiting a year for a discount card is far too long. :sad:
  • I know someone whose husband works at Tesco and she will only use the self serve checkouts as then she can use his card.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • jaymac wrote: »
    I'm sure they make staff wait a year so most schoolkids who work there part time never qualify for the discount!

My teenage son works for Tesco in Bristol . He was working his shift in the store and due to finish at 22.00 . I went to pick him up and whilst I was waiting for him ,I took the opportunity to purchased the weeks shopping using his staff discount card (it`s just the two of us at home).
    One of the team leaders in the store served me and spotted his name on the card .
    My son was never informed that immediate family members could not use the card . The team leader humilated me in front of other customers waiting by barking "you are not entitiled to use this !" . I felt like a common thief . My son is very hard working and conscientious .The team leader then told me my son could lose his job, and she would be reporting the matter to management .
    We both left the store that night feeling very upset and are currently awaiting the outcome of our "transgression" .
    So Tesco really look after their employees ...and families (don`t think so).
  • TessieK
    TessieK Posts: 57 Forumite
    Tesco staff only have to wait 6 months for their discount card now.

When you receive your card you sign a sheet with terms and conditions on it, and are given a copy with your card. This very clearly states that you must be present when the card is used and disciplinary action may be taken if you allow anyone else to use it.
    If he did not sign these terms and conditions then Tesco cannot discipline him.

The spend limit on the card is about £7500 per year.
  • Nice - thank you :D
  • I did years years for them, and the staf card is so old fashioned, even John lewis who I used to work for allowed staff to nominate someone to have another card, which was great as as an 18 year old at home it meant mum could use it for shopping.

Tesco did have a trial for giving out a card for you (staff) and one for whoever you nominated. Not sure what happened, but you can have the card made out to your mum and not yourself(staff).
    I never really saw the point of the cards if you were 16 and at home.

Maybe tesco will change and give out cards to staff and partners.

I was a Team leader at the front end and if it was one of our staffs parents using it we would let it go, it is not a big deal. But that only really appled to our own branch staff. But it is very old fashioned in that only one card is issued.
    John Lewis for all its fuddy duddynss let partners of staff have a card and they also had to sign the T&C's
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Geoff_Amor wrote: »
    My teenage son works for Tesco in Bristol . He was working his shift in the store and due to finish at 22.00 . I went to pick him up and whilst I was waiting for him ,I took the opportunity to purchased the weeks shopping using his staff discount card (it`s just the two of us at home).
    One of the team leaders in the store served me and spotted his name on the card .
    My son was never informed that immediate family members could not use the card . The team leader humilated me in front of other customers waiting by barking "you are not entitiled to use this !" . I felt like a common thief . My son is very hard working and conscientious .The team leader then told me my son could lose his job, and she would be reporting the matter to management .
    We both left the store that night feeling very upset and are currently awaiting the outcome of our "transgression" .

Your son was informed that only he could use the card, it would have said so on the letter that the card was attached to. However, the rules state that the discount can be used for the benefit of the people who live with you at your address on record, so the simple solution around this is to make sure that your son is with you whenever you do your shopping.
  • Geoff_Amor wrote: »

sorry but i for one take side with tesco on this one!

these privallage cards are for staff members only, many retailers operate such a scheme.and some retailers usually end up selling products at next to cost price, just to keep the staff happy with a small perk such as this.

it was all too easy for your son to get the shopping done for you himself, all you had to do was wait!
  • they limit the spend for income tax reasons,too much discount and the taxman would be after you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure