Real-life MMD: Secret Santa standoff

Comments

• No, definitely not! Don't be pressured into spending more than the limit especially as the limit is already so high. Secret Santa is supposed to be a fun extra thing not a serious gift. I have persuaded my work to bring it down to £10 and I know some people spend more. If you want to make it look more buy it on a special offer (3 for 2 or BOGOF) then it will be worth more but cost less!
  • As everyone else seems to have stated there are 2 problems with your secret Santa:

1. It's not secret.....!

2. See item 1.....!

It the maximum is £15, you've obviously too much spare cash at hand and remember, it's the MAXIMUM limit not the minimum.....! Find something at Poundland and get a life....!
  • A few years ago we had a secret santa. The limit was £5 MAX

We would all try and get brilliant gifts for less.

I got my boss.....that year he got eggs from my hens and quails eggs.

He thought it was wonderful and i hadn't spent anything...

£15 is far too much
  • Wow! They sound like a lovely group of people to work with :eek:
    IF you want to stay in the secret santa I personally would buy them a charity gift (I wouldn't want to buy people like that anything so this would get round that issue)
    Maybe buy something like a mosquito net/medicine/school equipment and give them the proof saying it was more in keeping with the spirit of Christmas. I can't post links but if you google 'Charity Gifts' you should get some ideas
    :hello:
  • Take a leaf out of my book..just say NO!! I haven't involved myself in this for years. Everyone knows that I think it's a load of nonsense to spend time, effort and £10 deliberating on what to buy someone, only to get somthing in return that you will neither want or will ever use.
    Conversely, the amateur dramatic group I am in has a Christmas Dinner, we all buy a present for £1, wrap it up, throw it in the communal box, they are then distributed and opened with great hilarity and ceremony:j:j
  • Definately stick to the budget thats why its there or make a suggestion to split the budget - a present for £14 and then set the challenge of the most interesting thing you can get for a pound.
    We did this one year and to be honest the pound gifts held more intrigue and got more attention than the 'proper' present. Its amazing the random gifts you can pick up for a pound! Then the challenge is about who is most creative not who spent most.
  • Hi

I think, if you want to participate, then go for it. I've decided never again as I always get pretty rubbish gifts to be honest...

Anyway, what I have done for the last few years that always goes down well is to buy a beautiful glass Christmas ornament... you can buy them so cheaply off ebay. and as they are clear, go with any decoration theme. They are really cheap but look really expensive when bought on ebay as the same things cost loads in the shops.

I also tend to add something handmade... so cookies, peanut brittle, etc. Check Nigella's website - she has some lovely, easy to make suggestions. I added in a 3D snowglobe card that I bought off ebay as well as they are much more expensive in the shops. This doubled up as both a gift and a card.

To be honest, I think you can spend a lot less than £15 and still get a really lovely SS gift and no one will know that you haven't spent as much as that. A bit of clever wrapping also goes a long way - add in some acid free tissue paper, wrap a box nicely and it looks like luxury but costs a lot less.

Hope this helps. x
  • Uplink
    Uplink Posts: 246
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    15 pounds can buy A LOT of coal. Enough for EVERYBODY in the office, and you'll have plenty to spare for "friends" and family :)
  • anniey
    anniey Posts: 11
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd decline to participate, no need to give a reason.
    (Not that I'm qualified to answer; I happily work alone so dont have to
    field off bull**** from workmates)
    I'd bow out this year, as an experiment, to see if it started a trend.
  • Secret Santa is a useless gimmick dreamed up by people who actually believe they have 5000 friends on Facebook ! Opt out and make a heartfelt genuine donation to a charity you believe in. The office gestapo will undoubtedly make noises but a 'Real' gift is one given freely and received warmly, unlike those in this childish game of peer pressure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure