Wireless network connected, but can't get online

Comments

• GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Now it won't let me access broadband at all through IE or Firefox, though dial-up still works but is obviously very slow.

have a look in IE Tool menu >> internet options >> connections tab >> you should have clicked on never dial a coonection .

Then under the "LAN Setting " button ensure you do not have a proxy server set up.
    HTH till u get ur ipconfig/all details here
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    albertross wrote:
    I assume priscilla is ok now, as she hasn't followed her post up for 2.5 months, lamb has resurrected the thread..

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: just answered lambs post - may delete it now ..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

thanks albertross :beer:
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • Wow! Thanks guys, you were quick!

Ok, firstly the IE connection settings are all correct (never dial a connection and no proxy set up, but has automatic detection on).

Here are results for pings:

ping 127.0.0.1 - Reply: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 (good)
    ping 192.168.0.1 - request timed out
    ipconfig /release - "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."
    ipconfig /renew - "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

ping https://www.google.com: "Ping request could not find host."

ping 66.102.9.104: request timed out

ipconfig/all:

Windows IP configuration:

Primary DNS suffix: (there was nothing displayed here)
    Node type: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter WNC:

Media state: Disconnected
    Description: Wireless Mini PCI Card Model 0508

Ethernet adapter LAC:

Media state: Disconnected
    Description: VIA PCI 10/100mb Fast Ethernet Adapter

Is that all the info you need? (BTW Is it safe for me to put this on the net for all to see?I'm paranoid as well as ignorant);)

Thanks again for the assistance.

:T
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    I'd remove the host name, and physical address details..

Has your neighbour setup any security (ssid broadcasting off, mac address filtering) or encryption on his router, any changes in that area will mess up your connection.

Did he issue you with an encryption key.

It is going to be difficult to do any diagnosis, unless you have access and proximity to the router, the only thing I can suggest is to delete all your wireless connection settings, and re-enter them.

you could download netstumbler, to see if you can see his router at all..

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

and turn zonealarm back on, to give you some protection if you manage to reconnect.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Done!

Thanks for that, I'm glad I asked!
  • albertross_2
    Earlier post edited..

Have you tried right clicking on the wireless icon and doing a repair connection?
  • Chippy_Minton
    Chippy_Minton Posts: 3,339 Forumite
    Firstly reboot your computer. Then click Start - Connect To - Show all connections. What is the Status of Wireless Network Connection? If 'Disabled', enable it. Try double-clicking Wireless Network Connection. If not connected, this will show a window containing all wireless networks; click Refresh network list to see if your neighbour's wireless network appears and if it does click Connect.
  • I have tried repairing the connection but get message " Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action could not be completed: Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance contact the person who manages your network." (He has seen this message).

Yes, I was given a encryption key.

I'll try and get that other info from my neighbour. However, no one else has these problems with access, wouldn't the security settings effect the other systems too? Another point I should explain is that I'm living in Germany at the moment although the laptop was brought in the UK. Maybe this explains why my system fails while all the others are successful?

Chippy- The wireless network is 'not connected' I double click and the screen asks me to choose a wireless connection from a list. I select my neighbour's network. It says 'not connected' but in the text block it says "This network requires a network key (which I have). You are currently connected to this network. To disconnect from this network, click Disconnect below" (there is an option to disconnect.) I seems strange that the system tells me I am 'not connected' but then tells me I am connected and tells me how to disconnect. Does the system have a bug?

Cheers for your time guys!
  • albertross_2
    Are you using the same channel?

I'd try deleting all your wireless details, and re-entering them if you can't connect at all (making sure that your numlock isn't on).

The wireless dropping off after 30 minutes, sounds like an interference, or wireless signal dropping error. But if you cannot connect at all at the moment, it may be best to sit next to the router, and re-enter all the info, to rule out wireless signal problems (unless you have done this already).

Is this in-built wireless, or a dongle, if the latter, could you try (borrow) another dongle/PCMCIA card?
  • -previous message edited-

How do I check the channels? Do I need to know which channel my neighbour has too?

Where do I delete my wireless details from?

The wireless is inbuilt (I think). I don't think it is a signal problem, the strength was excellent whenever it did connect and my girlfriends laptop has no problems with finding the signal or losing the connection. However, I will talk to my neighbour and see if he'll let me try what you suggest.

Cheers albertross!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport