CV for 15 year old

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Good idea - keep the CV short and clear, at 15 nobody expects you to have any experience anyway, and the jobs you might get will be things like glass collecting, washing up, etc where experience helps but are essentially entry level roles. Getting a glass collecting job for instance will mean building public confidence, learning how bars/restaurants/whatever work, maybe learning some cellar skills, all of which will be valuable later in life, or even at 18 when they can legally work the bar!

I had a buddy who was 15 who collected glasses at a holiday park over the summer. He stayed in the industry, when I last met up with him he was turning over over £10M in food and drink at a holiday company...but all based on the skills and experience aged 15, entry level work. The pay may be lousy in adult terms, but without tax and rent, even a couple of quid an hour is a lot aged 15, and it sends all the right messages to later employers if someone has 6 years experience when going head-to-head with a fresh graduate down the line.
  • westv wrote: »
    Has the job market become that competitive now that children now have to have CVs for simple Saturday jobs?!

I also did it at 16, back in '96 and it worked. Even then I had to take a maths and English test to finally get the job!

By 16, I had 2 lots of work experience on my CV (through school, and one arranged through family in the summer holidays). I think it's a great exercise to get a teenager to write a CV out. They should understand that it's not a 'detailed history of your working experience' but a sales sheet designed to get you a job. Every aspect of it should be there to 'sell you'
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I also did it at 16, back in '96 and it worked. Even then I had to take a maths and English test to finally get the job!

By 16, I had 2 lots of work experience on my CV (through school, and one arranged through family in the summer holidays). I think it's a great exercise to get a teenager to write a CV out. They should understand that it's not a 'detailed history of your working experience' but a sales sheet designed to get you a job. Every aspect of it should be there to 'sell you'

Well I got my first full time office job at 16 but I never did a CV then - the agency did all the paperwork.

When it came to Saturday jobs I just assumed that school children just turned up and asked if there was anything doing.
  • ACDC1978
    ACDC1978 Posts: 52 Forumite
    I applied for a job in admin when I was 15, and about to leave school... I took in a 'record of achievement' which contained a selection of certificates I gained from going on various courses, and also contained slips I had been given when I had 100% attendance for a whole term... I was called into the MD's office after my interview - daunting at 15 years old! Turned out they were so impressed with me they decided not to offer me the admin job and I was offered a job in the accounts department! So just goes to show if you can be committed to the job and not a shirker (attendance slips) and also get involved in various activities then you will be a team player! Good luck to her though, I'm sure she'll be fine!
  • westv wrote: »
    Well I got my first full time office job at 16 but I never did a CV then - the agency did all the paperwork.

When it came to Saturday jobs I just assumed that school children just turned up and asked if there was anything doing.

And when there's hundreds of kids doing that, you need a CV.. I've never used an agency to find work before (not to say they don't approach me with work - thanks LinkedIn!)
  • I guess the big question is: why?

Based on those grades, she should be in a good position to get excellent results in her GCSEs/A-levels and move onto a good degree, probably in a science (if that's what she wants to do!)

Because of the way the UCAS system works (universities have to make their decision before A-level results are available) and the removal of all mathematical content from science GCSEs, failing to get an A* in maths is likely (rightly or wrongly) to raise the question of whether she can cope on a science-based degree.

Given her clear academic ability, the priority should be her education/homework rather than making a few quid washing dishes. Getting an A* instead of an A in maths is probably worth a few hundred thousand over the course of her future career.

Still, I'd move the GCSEs up to emphasise them over the other qualifications (which employers are likely to be unfamiliar with). If somebody is looking to employ a 15 year old they are probably not expecting a totally professional CV - this should be fine to get an interview (the wishy-washy wording will make somebody who reads a lot of CVs think she has no experience and hasn't done any 'real work' but that's accurate and expected for a 15 year old).
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    westv wrote: »
    Has the job market become that competitive now that children now have to have CVs for simple Saturday jobs?!

I have to admit to being surprised at a 15 year old child having a CV to apply for Saturday jobs. I din't even know what one was at that age! To me CVs are a very recent thing for non-professional jobs.

I hope she is succesful.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Just a small point, don't use contractions (It's)

Try to write in bullet points, and for the instances where you make claims such as 'hard working', 'team work' say how these can be demonstrated e.g

- I am a hard worker - voluntary work with GGUK
    - I enjoy team work - playing in part of a sports team

etc.etc.

Best of luck
  • I guess the big question is: why?

Based on those grades, she should be in a good position to get excellent results in her GCSEs/A-levels and move onto a good degree, probably in a science (if that's what she wants to do!)

Because of the way the UCAS system works (universities have to make their decision before A-level results are available) and the removal of all mathematical content from science GCSEs, failing to get an A* in maths is likely (rightly or wrongly) to raise the question of whether she can cope on a science-based degree.

Given her clear academic ability, the priority should be her education/homework rather than making a few quid washing dishes. Getting an A* instead of an A in maths is probably worth a few hundred thousand over the course of her future career.

Still, I'd move the GCSEs up to emphasise them over the other qualifications (which employers are likely to be unfamiliar with). If somebody is looking to employ a 15 year old they are probably not expecting a totally professional CV - this should be fine to get an interview (the wishy-washy wording will make somebody who reads a lot of CVs think she has no experience and hasn't done any 'real work' but that's accurate and expected for a 15 year old).

I do see your point. She does intend to carry on her education and go onto uni. At this moment in time though she has absolutely no idea what she wants to do. It is her decision to try and get some part time work to have her own money so to speak. I think she will gain a lot from working anyway as long as she doesn't have to put it before school work ( we wouldn't allow that anyway) She will probably struggle to get an A* in maths as her class were doing the GCSE a year early, but have found doing it this way that results have dropped. So where she was predicted an A*/A she will probably only get and A, but will be starting AS level maths in year 11 if that makes sense! :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You might want to add that rainbows is a section of GirlGuidingUK - many employers won't know this, but they will know that GGUK is a respected organisation. Your daughter could also give examples of how her skills learned from voluntary work can be transferred to the workplace.
    Essential, IMO. And I'd consider getting those skills further up the CV rather than at the bottom in the 'interests' section.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport