How do I trace direct debits?

I don't know if this is possible or not:

I am trying to 'streamline' my outgoings by getting rid of any payments I don't need to make (e.g. an internet access subscription from a previous home which I'd never bothered to cancel).

I reckon this could add up to a good £20pcm or so. :o

HOWEVER, there's several direct debit payments on my account which I'm not sure of the purpose of, and I want to know if I can cancel them or not.

Is there some way I can trace what they're for from the debit ID number? I don't want to cancel payments I might need or end up with a black mark against me for cancelling payments without cancelling the appropriate contract first etc.

Any ideas?
Debt at highest: £68,000 plus mortgages
Current debt: £0.00!!!:D
Now I just have to buy my Dad's share of my flat back and I can start on the mortgage...

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My direct debits show up with the name of the company they are going to.

Otherwise, I think you might have to go through your paperwork and see if you have bills or anything else that matches up with the id numbers.

You could look back of the past 18 months of your statements and see if any of these are an annual payment.
  • Another idea (if you have internet banking) is to look at the list of DDs as this may also give you the policy number/reference of what the payment is for.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • the fact you don't recognise direct debits suggests you need to tighten up on management of money. if you are to manage money effectively you need to be aware of what money is coming in and exactly where it's going. also check correct amount being taken each month. if you don't check statements start doing so. any wrong payments should stick out like a sore thumb and hit you in the face!
    ring up bank and ask for list. the list usually has name of company, when last paid and how much went out of account. also includes cancelled ones & who cancelled it (e.g. customer i.e. you). if not check id number against statements. if still no joy ask bank- they can usually also provide address of company.
    suggest you also check whether any standing orders and cancel any ones not required.
  • Some banks willl have a system like the one i work for have a tool called the Direct Debit Originator Tool where we get the originators number type it in and it will give us their address and their phone number. Just phone your bank and ask for details of a direct debit and their contact details and the advisor should be able to get those details for you.
    A true friend will be sat next to you in jail saying "omg that was so much fun" !!!!!!
  • bonvonnie
    bonvonnie Posts: 536 Forumite
    i went to my Bank (Natwest) and at the Customer Services counter, asked them to print a list of the standing orders and Direct Debits I have open on my account.
    The good thing about the list, it showed name, date set-up, and date last payment taken.
    The ones I had, which havent been used in a while, I cancelled. not had any problems.
  • suniil
    suniil Posts: 447 Forumite
    I've noticed a direct debit payment from my account, which i did not authorized. Checked online and saw company name. Went to a branch and they have given 2 pages one stating name/address and other one stating their full details (service provider reference number / customer ref. number etc)

Bank initially declined to refund, but returned back again to branch again with direct debit guarantee detailed in bank website and they immediately agreed to refund.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RhiannonB wrote:
    Some banks willl have a system like the one i work for have a tool called the Direct Debit Originator Tool where we get the originators number type it in and it will give us their address and their phone number. Just phone your bank and ask for details of a direct debit and their contact details and the advisor should be able to get those details for you.

My bank refused to give me details of one of my DDs over the 'phone which was why I didn't bother suggesting trying the bank. This was some time ago though so it may be they didn't have the systems in place to check at branch level (that shows how long ago it was, that I could telephone the branch!). In the end it turned out he DD was in the name of a parent company, rather than a store as I knew it so it was okay.
  • Thanks, everyone.

I'm going to try calling my bank for a list as the first step. I do have online banking, but I find it confusing when (as mentioned by Bossyboots) the company name is sometimes a parent company and the payment just has an ID number. For example, I have one payment where the company is just listed as 'Policy Services', which could be any one of several different insurance policies I have!

Homersimpson is completely correct - I do need to tighten up my management, and this exercise is part of it! :) If I'd been better at that to start with, I'd know what was what on my statement.

I'll let you know what happens with my bank.
    Debt at highest: £68,000 plus mortgages
    Current debt: £0.00!!!:D
    Now I just have to buy my Dad's share of my flat back and I can start on the mortgage...

• V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Policy Services is a Company name that deals with insurance on mobile phones. Usually through Phones4U.

Is this any help??

What are the others?
    :hello:
  • Benuk73
    Benuk73 Posts: 91 Forumite
    I was recently told by a bank that, If I Didnt know what a DD was for or who with, to cancel it, and I would soon get a letter from them asking to make an alternative payment
    Ben ;)

"Thanks Martin for opening my eyes"

‹( •¿• )›
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills