Santander online banking problem

Comments

• I've had exactly the same problems. In the last 4 months I was with them it blocked my details 3 times, and each time it takes up to 10 days for them to issue a new log in. I'm now with the Halifax and their online banking has been great so far.
    2013 - Finally got the house we' ve worked so hard to get......now it's a life of diy and no money....couldn't be happier 😊
    2020 - mortgage free target set 8 years and counting 🎯
    Even the longest walks start with one small step....get your boots on.
  • krycek985 wrote: »
    I recently requested new reistration numbers pins etc for online banking.

I recived them a week or so later. I input all the information asked and then it asked me to change the info to something I would remember. Problem was after I tried to log these new details it kept saying I had input the wrong details.

After a while of trying and retrying I called santander who told me it was a regular fault.

They suggesed I put all the info they had sent me into the required feilds and when it asked me to change my details, just type the info they send me in reverse.

This worked instantly.

Why santader dont fix this problem I have no idea ?

yep
    i seem to have like 5-6 online banking customer numbers with them LOL
  • krycek985 wrote: »
    I recived them a week or so later. I input all the information asked and then it asked me to change the info to something I would remember. Problem was after I tried to log these new details it kept saying I had input the wrong details.

Why santader dont fix this problem I have no idea ?

I reported this to Santander back in 2009 for my Santander Zero card. Still not fixed!! But not a surprise considering it's Santander.

A workaround I suggest has worked for others. You could try if you have enough patience to stick with Santander:

1) Call Santander and request new a passcode/security number to be re-sent. Wait until they have all been sent.
    2) When you receive the new passcode/security number, check the date on the letter is AFTER the date you requested it above. This is important if you've called them many times and they have sent you many letters.
    3) Sign in with those details on the Santander website.
    4) It should prompt you to change your passcode/security number. Input your NEW details carefully and click next just ONE TIME.
    5) You will probably get an error saying your NEW details don't match. STOP. Don't input anything else otherwise you will lock your account.
    6) Close your browser and open it again.
    7) Go to Santander's website and log in again using the NEW details you input in step 4. You should be taken to your account (with some luck).
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Yep - this has happened to me, I've just changed my 5-digit (ex-A&L, still using A&L internet banking) PIN and it told me it was incorrect and locked me out :mad:

Lucky that this month all payments in/out have been switched to my Barclays a/c ;)
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • I had the same problem when my A & L online finally came up with a Santander screen. I had none of the numbers required so was locked out effectively for about 12 days until the new ones came through the post. Why they hadn't sent them BEFORE migration i do not know. I have to say when I got put through on the phone to A & L complaints they were very helpful.
  • beelzebomb
    beelzebomb Posts: 414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It gets worse - today after noticing a payment had been rejected, I was informed that Santander have an "intermittent problem" with payments going through ('payments & transfers' tab). I've since tried the same payment 3 times for it to be rejected immediately each time.
    There is also a problem with 'quick transfer' not working intermittently as well as I have experienced to my cost.
    Quite unbelievably poor really.
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    beelzebomb wrote: »
    It gets worse - today after noticing a payment had been rejected, I was informed that Santander have an "intermittent problem" with payments going through ('payments & transfers' tab). I've since tried the same payment 3 times for it to be rejected immediately each time.
    There is also a problem with 'quick transfer' not working intermittently as well as I have experienced to my cost.
    Quite unbelievably poor really.

Apart from the quick transfer problem (I had to do mine over the phone) I now cant open an Esaver as it rejects my email address and any other email address i might try
  • debbie2020
    debbie2020 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 January 2012 at 9:09PM
    I have had an account with the Alliance and Leicester building society for over 20 years, I have used internet banking forever and never had any problems BUT ever since Santander has taken over the online banking has been a nightmare I am continually locked out of my account .....I know I have used the correct login details but I am still locked our. Then the next hurdle is calling the help line .....where they ask you question after question, I know this is for our security safety but one question they ask me is what is my overdraft I don't actually know as I have never used it....you think this would be enough to know that I don;t use it along with the other million questions they ask, but no, answer just one question wrong and I am now locked out on the internet and also now can;t get my balance over the phone. What to do next I must wait until the next day for a call back, and so they can do an experion credit check on me........I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY ACCOUNT ONLINE!!! When I complained to them and said this is rediculous I have been with you for 20 years the operator said to me `no you haven't been with us that long, because you are now with Santander!`. I am so fed up with them I am moving accounts to the Halifax...this will be a pain because of all the direct debits that need to be changed but hopefully in the long run it will save me time as I might be able to use the internet when I need to...,..lets hope they are better.
  • boobbby
    debbie2020 wrote: »
    I have had an account with the Alliance and Leicester building society for over 20 years, I have used internet banking forever and never had any problems BUT ever since Santander has taken over the online banking has been a nightmare I am continually locked out of my account .....I know I have used the correct login details but I am still locked our. Then the next hurdle is calling the help line .....where they ask you question after question, I know this is for our security safety but one question they ask me is what is my overdraft I don't actually know as I have never used it....you think this would be enough to know that I don;t use it along with the other million questions they ask, but no, answer just one question wrong and I am now locked out on the internet and also now can;t get my balance over the phone. What to do next I must wait until the next day for a call back, and so they can do an experion credit check on me........I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY ACCOUNT ONLINE!!! When I complained to them and said this is rediculous I have been with you for 20 years the operator said to me `no you haven't been with us that long, because you are now with Santander!`. I am so fed up with them I am moving accounts to the Halifax...this will be a pain because of all the direct debits that need to be changed but hopefully in the long run it will save me time as I might be able to use the internet when I need to...,..lets hope they are better.

Yep their online is problem at the moment although I have never got locked out. The problem starts when the internal transfer did not work and then opening an Esaver both of which I had to do over the phone. I also could not answer the overdraft question as I dont normally use the santander account.. (I think the answer is £200) so they asked me another question. Anyway once they had confirmed my identity all transfers and Esaver account where set up by a very friendly Irish lady. If you transfer to halifax they should also set up all your direct debits and give you £100 plus £5 each month you pay in £1000 into your current account !! good luck!
  • boobbby
    newsgirl wrote: »
    I've been locked out of Santander online banking for the last 10 days after a stupid employee cancelled my 5-digit pin number to get me a phone pin I hadn't asked for and didn't want. I specifically told her I didn't want my online pin affected in any way.

I was only using the phone bank at the time due to an online technical failure where money failed to transfer between my accounts.

Since then I've had three new pin numbers and none of them work. I've now been told that my 8-digit personal ID is "wrong" as it was an old Alliance and Leicester number and that this is why none of the pins work. This afternoon I was told that I am now getting a new personal customer ID of 10-digits, some other number and then a new 5-digit pin. I'm very pleased that the man I spoke to this afternoon actually tried the new pin with my original 8-digit number and found it didn't work.

By far the worst is the patronising attitude of the man I am dealing with in their complaints dept who told me when I got the pin today I had to phone the technical helpline so they could help me to enter it on the site.

I might be a woman but I have a professional job and I thought his attitude was disgusting.

So now I have to wait for these three new numbers to arrive and then hope for the best. It's unbelievable that none of the people I have spoken to so far at Santander, including the man supposed to be handling my complaint, have been able to sort it out.

I despair of their incompetence. I understand they are the worst bank in the UK with the most complaints and I can understand why. I have now told them if it isn't sorted within seven days I want a deadlock letter so I can take it to a higher level.

There is a very serious side to this which is that I am going into hospital for a big op next week and I won't be able to visit the branch for at least three weeks afterwards. So not being able to check my account online may mean I go overdrawn or that DDs may not be paid if my account is low in funds and I am not around to top it up from my savings.

You may not be able to get into your account on line but you can still transfer money into it from another bank providing you know your account and sort code. Should get you over worrying about the funds in your account until you can get back in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure