Invisalign teeth straightening

Comments

• is 1k about right for a fixed brace though? I used to have one on the nhs when i was in secondary but didnt wear my retainer(which is exact same as invisalign) so my teeth went back to where they were..what a waste of time... so learning from mistakes as a kid..

and apparantly its being classed as cosmetic for my teeth now. I NEVER smile i hate it.. im not too bothered about invisalign would be nice..

i dont know how to go about getting a brace though I think my dentist does it but i need to know a good price?
    Debts to clear
    HSBC CC:1000/846 19.9%(atm)
    Barclay Card: 750/650(o%balance transfer)
    HSBC Loan:1000/0 COMPLETE!!
    Capital One CC:200/0 34.9%!!!! COMPLETE
  • fluffyb
    fluffyb Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    If you shop around and do a search on the internet you should be able to find dentist who does an initial free 'smile makeover' where options are discussed with you.

I did this myself recently ;)

I opted for 4 veneers. This was a top notch cosmetic dentist who only used the very best stuff and I was treated like a Queen on every visit. I ended up spending about 4k but that was for 4 teeth and my confidence has been boosted so much.

If it is only one tooth that bothers you, veneers may be the best option, but you should be able to get an initial free smile makeover like I did :D

Best thing I ever did and I wish I'd done it years ago!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The problem with veneers is that you take teeth that are essentially healthy, and could probably last you the rest of your life with little maintenance - and you turn them into things that will need regular maintenance, and replacement throughout the rest of your life.

I'm sure the dentist will have discussed this with you, and you are prepared to spend this much on your teeth every 8-10 years, so for you it's the right option.

Although it's slower though, to get nice straight natural teeth will be much easier to maintain throughout the rest of your life.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thepopster wrote: »
    is 1k about right for a fixed brace though? I used to have one on the nhs when i was in secondary but didnt wear my retainer(which is exact same as invisalign) so my teeth went back to where they were..what a waste of time... so learning from mistakes as a kid..

and apparantly its being classed as cosmetic for my teeth now. I NEVER smile i hate it.. im not too bothered about invisalign would be nice..

i dont know how to go about getting a brace though I think my dentist does it but i need to know a good price?

It really depends exactly what you need doing.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to tell my patients a course of ortho treatment will cost about 2k.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Hi ive just been reading some of the posts on here. Ive signed up to get my teeth done and its costing me £2500 in Liverpool thats for top and bottom. The dentist am going to works in i think he said 5 different dentists and he said this is the cheapest one. Ive took it out on the payment plan and over 2 years i will have paid £2900 so its only £400 interest which i think is good compaired to a bank loan.

I would recommend visiting metal mouth message board its really really helpful there is loads of information on there and its extremely helpful. :j
  • Hi Ems1982.
    I'm looking to get some Invisalign treatment in Liverpool - could you let me know which practice you're using? I've been ringing around, and some of the prices are terrifying!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I started doing invisalign at the beginning of September. I also worried that my teeth were too crooked to be suitable, but when I spoke to my dentist, he said they would be classed as a "moderate" case by invisalign, and when he sent off the impressions, I was accepted. The final result (if their CGI diagram is correct!) will be pretty good - about 98% perfect in fact, which I'm very happy with, as I'm not a big fan of the fake american look either. If they looked now like my projected after picture, the thought of orthodontics would never have crossed my mind!

I'm on aligner 4 now (of 21 at the bottom and 32 on top) and I'm really pleased with them. My teeth are moving as expected, and no one (not even my husband) has noticed that I've got them in. That was important to me as I'm 40 now, so would feel a bit silly in metal braces! My OH says he can tell a little when he kisses me, as my teeth feel very smooth(!) but he can't see them, and my speech isn't affected. It was a slight pain to start off with taking them out to eat and drink but I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me at all. And my teeth are becoming a lot whiter too as well as straighter as I brush and floss every time I eat and drink now. Even after just 8 weeks I can notice some movement on my teeth, though clearly I've got some time still to go.

I actually like the feel of the braces in my mouth, and prefer to have them in, than out. My OH had metal braces when he was a child, which he said could be quite painful and uncomfortable, and limited what he could eat too, so its nice not to have those problems either.

The other bonus is that when I first looked into having my teeth straightened (before invisalign were around) I was told it would take about 3 years using conventional metal braces, but my invisalign treatment will only take just over a year.

Mine is costing £3,500 in central London but this doesn't include the final retainer which will be extra.

Hope this helps anyone considering it. I'm really pleased I finally decided to do it.
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    I've been looking at this for a while there is a local private dentist which is costing £3000 for it and then about 5 miles away from that practice at my practice they are charging £2300 for it.

I've not made my mind up yet as I was considering crowns as its my top 4 front teeth so would only need a small brace.

Steph xx
  • Hi Steph B, I bit the bullet, no pun intended and started Invisalign last week. It took me months to save up the £2600 (Cardiff) but I think it'll be worth it.

They take lots of casts and pics of your teeth then generate a small video of how your teeth will transform over the course. I was soo excited to see MY teeth beautifully straight. It's going to take 10months and my wedding is in 7 months but at least they'll be better! I'm more confident already, knowing I'm doing something about it.
    It was really scary trying to take them off for the first time. They clip onto tiny catches fixed to your teeth and I thought I'd never be able to get them off, but i did and I'm getting the hang of them. Even when I show people they can't see them.
    So go on, join me and have them done...
    :D:D
  • Does anyone know about 'chelsea smile' they are offering invisalign for £1495 Is this a good deal or maybe for top OR bottom therefore actually costing £3000?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure