Comet Extended Warranty

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    B.Summers wrote: »
    I bought a washing machine from the comet clearance site a few days ago, says all their products are covered by a 12 month warranty. I don't usually buy refurbished/used products and only used the site because of the warranty, now I'm worried what will happen if my washing machine breaks down. Would I still be covered? I'm considering cancelling my order now. :(

It will almost certainly be worthless. Although you would be lucky to get a refund if you do cancel, you will become a creditor and will only get a fraction of your money back.
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Depends how you paid for it

If you paid by Credit Card and it was over £100 you have no problems as both the retailer and credit card supplier are jointly liable, so if the retailer goes bust (likely) you can still chase your CC supplier for 12 month warranty (and beyond using the SoGA)
  • Lovelyjoolz
    Lovelyjoolz Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Comet announces that they go into Administration next week:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/6500-jobs-under-threat-as-comet-goes-into-administration-8273828.html

Explains why their website has been down all day.
    You had me at your proper use of "you're".
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I bought a washing machine from the comet clearance site a few days ago, says all their products are covered by a 12 month warranty. I don't usually buy refurbished/used products and only used the site because of the warranty, now I'm worried what will happen if my washing machine breaks down. Would I still be covered? I'm considering cancelling my order now. :(

The standard 12m warranty? Then if Comet vanish you are depending on the manufacturer honoring it.

Extra Care? It is administered by AON/The Warranty Group, and shouldn't be affected. Their extended warranties are actually worldwide and you will end up being referred to a different repair agent, but should still get a repair (worst case, it could be on a reimbursement basis)

SOGA? You won't have anyone to claim against if the retailer are gone.
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    rtho782 wrote: »
    The standard 12m warranty? Then if Comet vanish you are depending on the manufacturer honoring it.

Extra Care? It is administered by AON/The Warranty Group, and shouldn't be affected. Their extended warranties are actually worldwide and you will end up being referred to a different repair agent, but should still get a repair (worst case, it could be on a reimbursement basis)

SOGA? You won't have anyone to claim against if the retailer are gone.

If you pay by credit card, is the credit card company liable if a product goes wrong and the retailer has gone bust,
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • I assume the product will have a manufacturer's warranty. But yeah looks like the standard 12 month warranty is useless now :(. I bought it with my visa debit bank card, looks like I'll have to keep the washing machine and hope it runs smoothly for a couple of years at least. I've fallen on hard times at the moment and it was the cheapest I could find/the reason I used the clearance site and so I can't afford to cancel if I lose so much money.

Thanks for your help guys :)
  • We bought a cooker from our local Comet a couple of weeks ago. When we bought it we were told the price was over £200 but the bill would be itemised and not to worry about it as this was standard practice. My husband paid by card and was asked to sign the paper for the extended guarantee (that came free with the cooker). When we had a proper look at the receipt it showed that we had paid £188 for the cooker and a further £45 for a five year extended warranty that we didn't need and hadn't asked for.

I contacted the head office and explained what had happened and he said that what they had done was wrong and told us to go back into the store and speak to the manager. We planned to go in this week while my hubby was on his holiday but when we heard on the news about them going bust we called the warranty department directly and cancelled it. They've said they'll send a cheque out as they can't pay it back directly to his card but am expecting that by the time it comes and we get it into bank there's a good chance it will bounce.

I still intend to go into the store, if it's still open and speak to the manager about what the shop assistant did, won't do any good but I hate the fact that they felt it okay to con us into buying an extended warranty.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,699
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't really see the problem, you paid £200+ for a cooker with a 5 year extended warranty or you could have paid £200+ for a cooker with no extended warranty. As Comet are about to go belly up that warranty could well come in handy.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,699
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2012 at 3:27PM
    I assume the product will have a manufacturer's warranty. But yeah looks like the standard 12 month warranty is useless now :(. I bought it with my visa debit bank card, looks like I'll have to keep the washing machine and hope it runs smoothly for a couple of years at least. I've fallen on hard times at the moment and it was the cheapest I could find/the reason I used the clearance site and so I can't afford to cancel if I lose so much money.

Thanks for your help guys :)
    I wonder what will happen if it does go wrong, Hotpoint specifically ask if the machine was purchased from Comet so I assume there is some sort of charge to Comet or they place the service callout with Comet's own team.
    1. My TV/laptop have been sent to Comet for repair, will they still be repaired and returned? The repair operations are continuing and we will seek to complete the repair and return the item.
    2. I bought an extended warranty with my goods a few weeks ago, will this still be honoured? ExtraCare Service Plans and Extended Warranties are provided by a third party (The Warranty Group) and is unaffected by the Administration of Comet Group Limited. In the event that Comet is unable to continue repairs The Warranty Group will appoint a new repair agent to ensure continuity of repair service for ExtraCare and Extended Warranty customers.
    3. An item I bought from Comet has become faulty, who do I contact? You should contact the Comet Customer Support Centre on 0844 800 95 95 and select option 3 and follow the voice prompts which will direct you to the relevant repair agent.
  • molerat wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem, you paid £200+ for a cooker with a 5 year extended warranty or you could have paid £200+ for a cooker with no extended warranty. As Comet are about to go belly up that warranty could well come in handy.

The problem is that the cooker came with a manufacturers 5 year guarantee for free so we should have paid £188 with a free 5 year extended warranty. We didn't ask for Comets own extended warranty as we didn't need it due to having the free one, they didn't offer it to us, just took our money while misleading us about what we were getting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure