Really worried about Artex

2»

Comments

• ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    nelly wrote:
    To be honest I havent got a sodding clue, wheather it will or wont contain asbestos. My job is generally to skim over artex.

The reason artex was used so much was, it's fast and cheap, plastering a ceiling takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours give or take. But artexing can take 15 minutes

and just for ben500 check out the video page on my website :)

http://myplasterer.com/

I hope you didn't pee in that mix Nelly! I've heard about you plasterers you know.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • You might like to check out this link:

http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/

My house was built in 1979 and last summer my shower leaked and my artex living room ceiling began bulging. I contacted my insurers who sent out a company called Rhoddar to take a sample for testing - it transpired it did contain asbestos so my living room had to be completely cleared out, windows and doors sealed up while it was removed and double bagged.

I was very lucky as my insurers arranged for all of this and I got a wonderful new (artex and asbestos free!) ceiling.

I know that the rest of my house has the same but I was told if it's not disturbed in any way, it is fine.

I hope this helps.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ben500 wrote:
    I acknowledge Nelly is indeed a plasterer he has said so many times, but I think his expertise may lie more in getting plastered I've seen his posts! But I haven't seen any walls he's worked on :rotfl::rotfl:

Having seen the website, references and video...........I think we can say nelly is an expert plasterer.:D

Is that humble pie you're eating ben500?:D

Thanks nelly;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • donnalove
    donnalove Posts: 574 Forumite
    sorry to hijack this thread but after reading it i have got a bit worried.
    we have a wall in the front room that is do to be knocked down, this wall is artexed, with big icecles like op, we have been in the house since 1991 and previous owners were there 1988-1991 we think it was them that did it.
    would this wall need testing??
    also the artex on the ceiling in the kitchen is peeling off this is a thinner type is it a problem??

sorry but now worried
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    People get paranoid about asbestos. There are or rather were three types used in industry generically known by colours blue, brown and white.

The former two were banned some time ago and have largely dissapeared today. White (Chrysotile) is still very commonly found in pre 80's buildings.

As long as its bound in a matrix and not free floating in the air its harmless and easily removed with sensible precautions.

Your local council may even take it away free providing its bagged and labelled correctly - some do some dont.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    donnalove wrote:
    sorry to hijack this thread but after reading it i have got a bit worried.
    we have a wall in the front room that is do to be knocked down, this wall is artexed, with big icecles like op, we have been in the house since 1991 and previous owners were there 1988-1991 we think it was them that did it.
    would this wall need testing??
    also the artex on the ceiling in the kitchen is peeling off this is a thinner type is it a problem??

sorry but now worried

The thinner artex you say is probably textured paint, not all artex is actually artex a lot of plasterers use plaster and put a pattern in that, You can easily check this by knocking of one of the peeks if its white its artex if its pink its plaster.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You might like to check out this link:

http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/

My house was built in 1979 and last summer my shower leaked and my artex living room ceiling began bulging. I contacted my insurers who sent out a company called Rhoddar to take a sample for testing - it transpired it did contain asbestos so my living room had to be completely cleared out, windows and doors sealed up while it was removed and double bagged.

I was very lucky as my insurers arranged for all of this and I got a wonderful new (artex and asbestos free!) ceiling.

I know that the rest of my house has the same but I was told if it's not disturbed in any way, it is fine.

I hope this helps.

I have just sat and read all of the report on this link and it is certainly reassuring. From the report it sounds like the "white" is pretty harmless and the whole thing has been blown completely out of proportion.

Must admit though, I was scared after reading some of the sites on asbestos.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport