Fitting a log burner help

Comments

• bltchef
    bltchef Posts: 292 Forumite
    hi i have a woodburning stove from eay natural heating it is very good no prob with it had it 2 years now my onll regreat is we did not have boiler fitted at the same time hope this is of somehelp
  • Hi just a quick question in a similar vein if you please. We'd like to fit a wood burner to power the central heating but don't have a chimney. We do have a flueless gas fire insitu atm (broken) will it fit there and what do you need instead of a chimney, or is it a complete non-starter?
    Thanks
  • jim38curl:

A stove must be installed to meet certain regulations and building control (council) may have to be informed. Our chimney sweep fitted ours and is registered with HETAS so did all the paperwork. I don't know if it can be fitted by someone else and then simply inspected by a certified person, or whether it is like CORGI and nobody is allowed to touch it. Also if the stove is over 5kw extra ventilation needs to be installed (somehow, we stopped at 5kw as that was all we needed).

With regard to prices, our stove cost about £500 (Stovax Huntingdon 25 in a sales), 1 metre flue was £70. Fitting and register plate was £350. We ripped out the old fireplace and got everything ready ourselves to cut costs. (All work in June 2007)

Our chimney did not need lining at the time but may well do in the future. This is likely to cost around £1000. So the prices quoted do not seem too bad in this context.

Hope this helps.
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Installer should be HEATAS qualified and the installation whether done by HEATAS or not should be done to building regs (J I believe but not 100% sure)

yup just found it.

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html
    The 2002 edition of Approved Document J of The Building Regulations stipulates that any work that affects an existing chimney (ie fitting a new stove or liner) or creating a new chimney now comes under building control.

An existing chimney or a new flue or chimney installation must be given a visual inspection to check that it is in good order, clear of obstructions and is of a suitable size and type for the appliance you plan to install. It may be necessary to sweep the flue (which should always be done anyway before fitting a stove or lining a chimney) and also, if necessary, to do a smoke test to check for gas tightness.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 122 Forumite
    hey guys be careful of these cheap stoves. often enough they are chinease cast and very poorly made, a lot of them turn up without flue collars. Also many of these chinease imports are not CE approved. Because of this it is illegal to install them in UK

be wary,

best prices on internet for branded stoves is either http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk or http://www.firesonline.co.uk
  • Thanks to everyone for all the advice, just an update really. The wimborne market guy got in contact again after a few days and couldn't apologise enough for forgetting to visit. He quoted £1640 to supply and fit everything which my mum seemed quite happy with so went ahead with the work. All this was finished yesterday and i also ( like 1111111 - post above ) couldn't recommend him enough. He seems such a kind genuine bloke you at first don't trust that he is and wait for the hidden surprise to come but it doesn't. He's also HETAS reg'd and supply's cert's for his work. If anyones intersted he can be found at http://www.ukstoves.com/ Thanks again everyone.
  • littleange
    littleange Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    spookycat wrote: »
    Hi just a quick question in a similar vein if you please. We'd like to fit a wood burner to power the central heating but don't have a chimney. We do have a flueless gas fire insitu atm (broken) will it fit there and what do you need instead of a chimney, or is it a complete non-starter?
    Thanks

I'd also be interested to know if you need a chimney?
  • Hi all, first post here. have bought a multifuel stove made by Franco Belge the model is a savoy, bought it really cheap and is like new. my question is how hard a diy job is it to fit. I have all the right clearances around the stove with a five foot flue coming out of the top. Is it ok to just put the flue through the steel plate and seal it up? Does it require a flue all the way to the top of the chimney? The chimney was in full working order as an open fire before i bought the stove, many thanks Chris
  • waj1234
    waj1234 Posts: 63 Forumite
    chris11ok wrote: »
    Hi all, first post here. have bought a multifuel stove made by Franco Belge the model is a savoy, bought it really cheap and is like new. my question is how hard a diy job is it to fit. I have all the right clearances around the stove with a five foot flue coming out of the top. Is it ok to just put the flue through the steel plate and seal it up? Does it require a flue all the way to the top of the chimney? The chimney was in full working order as an open fire before i bought the stove, many thanks Chris

It is best to fit a solid fuel liner as it makes the stove work better due to a smaller chimney and better air flow. The problem with using a standard chimney which was designed for an open fire is and open fire looses most of the heat up the chimney so makes the chimney hot enough to burn most of the soot etc. A stove is more efficient and will not get a chimney hot enough so if burning wood that is not dry enough the condensation stops the smoke rising properly and causes deposits which lead to chimney fires.

Best to get in lined. My install including a new liner, plate, chimney pot and room vent and all flues is £800 and my stove is £600. I did my fireplace myself at a cost of £200 for all materials (slate). The installer is Hetas so he does all registering with building regs.

Hope that helps.

Simon.
  • yes after trailing round all the high priced shops i bought little stove from glasgow company on e-bay and it has been great , don`t get one thats too big for your room and if you can put in one with back boiler , don`t know much about local regs as i went into existing chimney hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure