Delivery rights: Amazon

Former_MSE_Rose
Former_MSE_Rose Posts: 128 Forumite
edited 25 November 2011 at 4:12PM in Consumer rights
articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all, this discussion thread's part of the Delivery Rights guide, specifically for if you've complained to Amazon about delivery problems using the techniques in the guide.

Please tell us how you got on - we want to know if you were awarded any compensation from Amazon, and if so, how much? Just let us know the amount and reason below; to add more general feedback on the guide, pop over to the main Delivery Rights discussion thread.

Thanks
for your help,

MSE Rose

Comments

• macavity
    macavity Posts: 199 Forumite
    i complained about the delivery not turning up last week and all i got was a wet standard 'we're sorry we wont do it again' reply. rubbish, especially as they will do it again using flipping useless yodel.
  • silaren
    silaren Posts: 72 Forumite
    I didn't complain but was considering it, if I didn't receive my package this week.

I ordered from Amazon on 25 November. The estimated arrival date was 1 December. According to their tracking, the package sat at my local Yodel delivery centre from 28 December until 3 December. Then it was 'out for delivery' on 3 December. I didn't receive the package until this morning.

The delivery man was surly and he thumped on my door very loudly even though there was a working doorbell in plain sight. My package was damaged at the corners but thankfully the contents were intact but a little bit bashed - not enough to make a huge fuss though.

In the meantime, the part of my order that was delivered by Royal Mail, including a subsequent order that came from Jersey, arrived last week. I've never had problems with Amazon before and have been a customer for 5+ years, ordering about 5-7 times a year.

IMHO Amazon needs to have a serious review of Yodel and consider dropping them - they're damaging Amazon's reputation. If I knew that Yodel were delivering my order, I would have cancelled it and ordered from another supplier.
    2011 December - No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - UUs: 5 In: 5
    2011 December - Grocery Challenge - £8.70/£45
    2011 December - Make £5 a day Challenge - £7/£155
    2012 Frugal Living Challenge - £8.70/£4000
  • Has anyone experienced the fact Yodel (employed by Amazon) dump parcels instead of delivering them?

In our case our parcel was dumped by the roadside half a mile from our farm (we are remote!).

Amazon simply reply with a template apology email but no explanation.

Anyone know a contact at Amazon who is interested in what has occurred?
  • DJ_SA
    DJ_SA Posts: 6 Forumite
    Amazon refunded my delivery charges only because it was a guaranteed express delivery and City Link lost the parcel. I ordered another one and when the lost parcel was delivered, I refused it. In this case, I guess the feedback is neutral since I wasn't offered anything extra for two consecutive days of waiting.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ive had no issues with Amazon as such - but they could certainly do with adding the option to control the methods of delivery they use for prime subscribers - I would imagine this would make a massive difference as you never know if you can send it home incase they send it with a courier which needs a signature...
  • GibsonSt19
    GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2011 at 4:55PM
    I ordered a replacement modem router, as mine had died. I paid for RM Special Delivery (by 1pm the following day), and received and email to advise it would arrive that day.

I took a holiday day off work to take receipt, but the parcel didn't arrive.

I called Amazon Customer Service, and spoke to US based reps (even though I ordered on amazon.co.uk). The first rep didn't offer to address the situation at all, so I spoke to his manager. His manager offered to refund the delivery cost (which is policy), but I didn't feel this was good enough. She couldn't do anything further, so I spoke to her manager. After 30 minutes speaking with him (total of 1hr 40mins in on the phone) he offered £10 credit. I wasn't accepting this (as my holidays are worth more), and pushed him further. After a further 10 mins on hold, he came back and offered £11.50!

I was most uphappy at this point, and asked to speak with his manager. His manager wasn't available, and so after being put on hold again, they offered 20% of the value of the item. This didn't go far towards my holiday day, stuck in the house, but I accepted it (out of sheer phone fatigue!).

The rep promised the item would be delivered before 1pm the NEXT day, and my wife took the morning off work to take receipt.

It still didn't arrive before 1pm, therefore my wife went into work.

I returned home to find a RM delivery card, stating they'd attempted delivery at 12:25 (not so).

This was all such an inconvenience, as both my wife and I had work deadlines to hit in the evenings, but without the router we couldn't do this.

Out of interest, the RM Track & Trace site showed a delivery time of 14:50 (late), but I just couldn't face taking the matter any further.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2011 at 12:34PM
    Amazon - Yodel.

- delivery estimate 1st December.
    -on 30th November parcel marked as out for delivery at 2.27.00, marked as delivered 2.27.01. (for comparison took 4 hours a few days before - booked out 10am, delivered 2.15ish. Note: That one was placed in a "safe place" - picking up the doormat that was smaller than the parcel and placing it in front of it. It made it more obvious than just leaving the parcel on its own! Also the neighbours were in all day)
    -Didn't realise until Sunday 4th and emailed Amazon
    -they replied the same night with a "yeah, this isn't good service" but no confirmation of what, if any, action they were taking.
    -called in to Yodel 5th at 8am and was told it would take 48hrs to investigate.
    -Got call from Yodel this morning 9.10am or so to say "we've asked the depot for information.. we will let you know".

So far.. nothing good. No new parcel sent. Was told by Amazon I can't request them to use Royal Mail (at least they have a delivery office nearby) and supposed 48hr response from Yodel was barely an acknowledgement they were still actually trying to bother doing anything about it.

I will be hammering them later this week and will update this thread when we reach a resolution! So far... very unhappy!

EDIT: Nothing since Wednesday 8th. Called Yodel this morning and got told their system is crashing all the time and they couldn't even look up my tracking number until this afternoon. Poor girl on the phone sounded terrified I would abuse her and was thankful when I said I understood and would call back. (I am however annoyed at them in general but that particular person was as helpful as she could be.

I've now cancelled the amazon order and I'm taking a special trip to go get the item from a store in a not so near city. I will still be trying to confirm what I can do to get my address 'blacklisted' at Yodel because until I do I won't be using Amazon again until I can see who they will use for delivery before paying.
  • Padz_2
    Padz_2 Posts: 281 Forumite
    I pre-ordered a release day game (PS3 Skyrim) recently and it wasn't delivered on release day because they gave it to Royal Mail to deliver. I was livid and have vowed never to pre-order new releases from Amazon again. I complained but they didn't care.

I was on an Amazon Prime trial at the time and it was the deciding factor. I didn't sign up to Prime.
  • razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a package dispatched from Amazon on Sunday morning for delivery on Monday, by Yodel/HDNL of course.

This has been sat in their bristol depot since Monday, with no "Out for delivery" at any point. Amazon agreed to dispatch a replacement item yesterday, but also used HDNL, but this is showing as Out for Delivery this morning.

Amazon also just emailed me to say the delivery due monday "may arrive one day later than expected" - which suggests something pretty catastrophic has happened, as 2 other colleagues got the same email, but for them they've had parcels sent to the wrong delivery depots on Monday, and they're still there.

Amazon Prime seems less awesome when they use HDNL.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I find Amazon's telephone customer services very good. Had two instances where I've phoned them and been happy with the outcome:

1) I'm a Prime member. I ordered an item on a Friday and the website said "Guaranteed delivery on Saturday" throughout the order process. They dispatched via CityLink who... don't deliver on Saturdays. I phoned Amazon to complain and was given a free one month extension to my Prime membership.

2) A recent order was delivered by CityLink. It was a large item so I had to have it delivered to my home address, rather than work. Got a card when I wasn't in to take delivery and learned that my nearest CityLink depot is 60 miles / 75 minutes away! I called CityLink to try and get them to leave the parcel in a safe place but gave up after 30 minutes on hold. I then called Amazon who took all the details and called back 5 minutes later to say that CityLink would bring the parcel back the next day and would leave it as requested.

I find Amazon's telephone customer services much better than their email system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure