Do your own wedding flowers

Comments

• MsChazzer
    MsChazzer Posts: 701 Forumite
    I thought I had come up with a great idea for my bridesmaids. There's a couple of shops in Edinburgh called Napiers who sell bunches of lavender (you can get them in other places, I know I've seen them) for about £5 each. I was going to get them one of these each and tie a nice ribbon round them.

I was in Napiers the other day and had a closer look at them, picking one up. Some of the lavender fell off, hardly any, but I realised that it wouldn't take long for them to be looking pretty bare after being carried about.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who had the same idea. Back to the drawing board!
    Got married 23rd May 2009, many thanks to all on the Weddings and Anniversaries board for their help and support!
  • miss_kat
    miss_kat Posts: 27 Forumite
    Thought I'd post this as I thought they'd make lovely table centrepieces...

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/ivy-heart/

You just need to add a bit of ribbon or some little fairy lights and they'd look really nice.
  • I found some video on flower arranging for weddings along with loads of colour theme ideas at www.marthastewart.com
    Some of the links on the site dont work though as they are quite old but still loads of good info and photos for inspiration.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Victorians used to assign meanings to their flowers to send a secret message of love, here is a list of a few of them that might be useful:

Alstoremeria devotion
    Baby's Breath pure of heart
    Calla Lily beauty
    Camellia excellence, beauty
    Carnation, white perfect loveliness
    Chrysanthemum, white truth
    Daisy innocence
    Delphinium open heart and deep attachment
    Gardenia refinement
    Lily of the Valley return of happiness
    Magnolia magnificence
    Lily, white sweetness and purity
    Orchid love and beauty
    Ranunculus radiant with charm
    Rose, red I Love You
    Rose, white purity and love
    Rosebud, red pure and lovely
    Stephanotis happiness in marriage
    Tulip, red love
    Violet faithfulness
  • paddingtondoo
    paddingtondoo Posts: 3,392
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Had a trial with my wedding bouquet yesterday.
    Bought:
    10 roses
    2 bunches of gypsophilia
    2 bunches of sea holly (bit like thistles)
    9 bits of green stuff

Total cost £10, took 15 mins and it looks fantastic. The women on the market stall had a bouquet made up almost exactly the same and she was selling it for £35 :eek:
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended :p
  • Had a trial with my wedding bouquet yesterday.
    Bought:
    10 roses
    2 bunches of gypsophilia
    2 bunches of sea holly (bit like thistles)
    9 bits of green stuff

Total cost £10, took 15 mins and it looks fantastic. The women on the market stall had a bouquet made up almost exactly the same and she was selling it for £35 :eek:

Please post photos,I would love to see the flowers.I am having sea holly too and dont know quite how it will work in an arrangement.
  • paddingtondoo
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not sure how good this will look as its a pic from my friend's mobile but they look lovely
    http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk55/paddingtondoo_2008/bouquet.jpg

I tried to paste it straight in but it was huuugggge :rotfl:

I'm having white roses on the day but £1.50 each wasn't very MSE just for a trial
  • Gorgeous.I can picture it with white roses and it will be perfect.I love the sea holly in there.
  • paddingtondoo
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you. I'm so lucky to have such a talented friend she is also making the cake!

I now realise I have some sea holly growing at the bottom of my garden - have told OH not to touch it in case we can't get any more - like he needs an excuse to leave weeds alone :rotfl:
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Hi i went into our local florists last week just to see what they had, dd wants burgundy and ivory and the first thing i said was i need some flowers for a wedding, think that may have been the first error!! The next is we want burgundy and she said it's quite hard to get? around £50 for my bouquet nevermind the others..
    they are going to be silk as taking them on the cruise with us so can't be real but just wondered what type to ask for at a different florists and what you all said you needed them for..i know they won't always bang the price up but come may!
    thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport