Indulgence Flights, can you help me please?

2»

Comments

• Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    They are there - or at least always used to be, provided you accept you can be bumped off at the last minute (although that has never happened to me).

My favourites were for two fabby holidays in Asi :cool:
  • ralabaf
    ralabaf Posts: 18 Forumite
    Discobaby - ask your husband to look into it from the Cyprus end. He should be able to book everything from there a lot easier than you will be able to. Also, although they might have change the rules since I was there in 2000, but you used to need to be sponsored from the Cyprus end to be allowed to get a RAF flight there at all.

Be aware though that there is a strict pecking order for trooping flights and indulgence comes right at the bottom. You might also find that because he is only there on a short tour you are not eligible to use the system, which generally puts families living out there higher up the list.
  • discobaby, all the information is in JSP 800 Vol 2. Not much help that probably. I have been looking into as the Mother-in-Law lives in Cyprus. There is a seperate form for indulgence flights to Cyprus that has to be sent to RAF Akrotiri (the Form is RAF 2768 IND CYP). It looks incredibly easy to fill out. Don't know how easy it is to get flights, but if its that much cheaper then its worth a try. I have never used indulgence flights. I'm in the Navy and we have always assumed it more of a RAF/Army thing, but based with the RAF it was easier to find the info. Hope this helps.
  • Snunn1
    Snunn1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hello all,

I'm a serving Mover at Brize so I should be able to answer your questions.

We fly to AKT several times a week, generally things are busy when the RIP kicks off every 3 - 6 months out in the hot spots. Flights cost £35 one way, its a non-guaranteed seat so if the RAF choose to replace you with some freight, you've got no leg to stand on.

If you can, trot down to your PSF and ask for some indulgence forms; if you have any major dramas, phone the Brize Info Desk (its on the website) and they'll dig out the numbers for DPRC, the people who actually book the flights so you can deal with them direct.

I've indulged several times and its never been a problem. However, I have also been working when aircraft go U/S and its not a pretty sight. You could end up in the Gateway for days on end if this happens. Its worth doing some homework before you go in case of techie delays, you'll then have the opton to fly civair if it gets you there quicker.

Wives, kids and siblings are all entitled, across all three Services. Girlfriends/boyfriends aren't though I'm afraid. Its worth getting matey with your local Mover, indulgence won't be around forever if the top brass have anything to do with it. Make sure you take a photocopy of your forms with you when you check in! If you're not on the list because of a booking error, at least you've got some proof that you've filled in the forms!

Hope this Helps
  • Snunn1, As you are in the know am I right in saying there is a separate form for flights to Cyprus. I've looked through the JSP and it seems to say that Cyprus has its own routine and everthing has to be done through Akotiri and not Brize or the DPRC. I'm only asking here because when I leave the Falklands, I'll going back to a Naval Base and if you ask them about Indulgence Flights they look at you like you've gone mad!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_15433899", true);
  • To be honest, the hasstle of booking the filghts and the risk of being taken off at the last minute .... it isnt worth it. The flights are prioritised for military personnel, so you could effectivley be stranded in either Brize/Akrotiri.

Good Luck!!
  • ;) Hi Discobaby...i lived overseas for 3 years with hubby serving in RN....i never once got lucky on an indulgence flight....scenario is thus...you are basically 'hanging around' for a very unspecific period of time, got to be prepared to fly WHEN they tell you they have a seat/seats....so it doesn't always fit especially with children! You would be better off trying Martins links to getting cheap flights your own way, don't rely on the Military!!;)
  • Just as an update. I managed to get 4 flight to Cyprus and back on Indulgence this July and August. It is nerve racking as they told me one day that there were definately no flights back the following day, but then phoned me at 8:15 in the morning saying can we be at the terminal by 10:30. Saying that though the cheapest return flights we could find were £1266, so it worked out a great saving which outweighed the stress of the wait. Thinking of trying again for Christmas as the guy that sat next to my wife on the flight back had used Indulgence 4 times in the last year. Can anyone out there PM me the phone number for the indulgence desk at Akrotiri so I can check if there is any suspension of flights over the Christmas/New Year period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure