Fostering Niece & Nephew -Can Finances Cope?

My brother's children (aged 3 & 5) have been placed on an Interim Care Order with Social Services. It is possible that this will become a permanent thing and so my husband and I have put ourselves forward as foster parents.

Due to their ages I think I would have to give up my part-time job to be able to look after them and our own 2 year old. I am concerned about how we would cope financially and so was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what allowances we would get, and if we were to eventually adopt, would we get any allowance then?

I know you don't get Tax Credits for foster children but I think I am right in saying that tax creds would increase for my child as foster allowance isn't counted as income.

I didn't like to bring this up with the Social Worker at first because I don't want them to think that I was only taking the children on to be able to give up my job. That isn't the case at all, we are concerned for the welfare of the children and would prefer to keep them in the family.

Any help or advice would be welcome at this stressful and upsetting time.

:eek:

Comments

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is from my local council's pages on fostering, the amount paid may be different when children are fostered by a relative. HTH and good luck
    QDo I get paid?AFoster carers receive financial support and allowances for each child they look after which covers the costs associated with looking after children in your own home.
    Additionally, some carers receive an allowance based on their assessed skills in meeting the needs of more complex care needs. These allowances can range from £50.00 to £400.00 per week.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Incisor
    Incisor Posts: 2,271
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    [Comment addressed]
    After the uprising of the 17th June The Secretary of the Writers Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?
  • UglyBetty
    UglyBetty Posts: 82
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you were approved to foster your niece and nephew you would be entitled to fostering payments. You shouldn't be disadvantaged because you are related but the allowance would depend on their legal status. If you did eventually adopt you would be entitled to an assessment of your need for adoption support (Adoption & Children Act 2002), and this includes 'ongoing financial support'. This will depend on the needs of the children and your income - allowance are means tested but enhancements can be given for needs over and above the norm. Don't be afraid to be open with the social worker as it's best to be up front earlier rather than later. The children are likely to have experienced disruption and upset so it will usually be in their interests if you can find a way to be around for them if they are eventually placed with you.
    If you decide to go ahead the assessment process can be stressful and can take between 3-6 months, because the local authority will want to ensure that the children have the best chance of a successful placement with no further disruption. Get some support and advice:

The Fostering Network www.fostering.net
    The Post Adoption Centre www.postadoptioncentre.org.uk (they advise before and after adoption)
  • c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Sharon, if you have a local CAB branch you could pop in or give them a call. They should be able to advise you of all potential entitlement. Good luck, i think its a great thing for you and your husband to take on the children. I wouldn't be afraid of discussing finances with the social worker though, they will want to be sure you can financially cope with the children if placed with you and should be advise you of appropriate benefits.
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    A family member of mine has been assessed to foster her neice and has been told she will get £450 a week for long term fostering
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    fabwitch wrote: »
    A family member of mine has been assessed to foster her neice and has been told she will get £450 a week for long term fostering
    :eek: :eek: I must be doing something wrong then. I have had my nephew with me for four years now...i have parental rights/responsibilities and i certainly do not get anywhere near £450pw i would double check that figure tbh.

I know it sounds very strange that even though i have had my nephew for four years i am not classed as a foster parent :confused:
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Zara33 wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: I must be doing something wrong then. I have had my nephew with me for four years now...i have parental rights/responsibilities and i certainly do not get anywhere near £450pw i would double check that figure tbh.

I know it sounds very strange that even though i have had my nephew for four years i am not classed as a foster parent :confused:

I am in the same position, my sister died 18 months ago and since then my niece has lived with my husband and I. We got no help from social services they weren't interested unless there was a crisis! We had to go through the civil courts to get custody of my niece and parental responsibility. The only financial assistance (if you could call it that!) is child benefit and £41 per month tax credits.

Everyone that has their niece or nephew living with them is doing a great thing and as we are they are putting the children first however if we were not able to take in our nieces and nephews they would go into the foster system, so we are saving the system a fortune but we don't qualify for these allowances.

Not sure about the rest of the country but in Scotland an allowance for kinship carers has been introduced. Initially I thought great but there is always a huge BUT! Each council can choose when and how to introduce the allowance as there is no guidelines to cover the whole country.

As Claire has suggested I would contact your local CAB and see what they have to say, check out the government website as well, they will have some information there as well.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Zara did you go through the Family Court to have your nephew. My Sister in law had to be assessed since last September by the Local Authority santioned by the Family Court because two sets of relatives offered the child a home. Because a Judge will decide soon who will get the child it has to go through the Fostering panel for long term fostering care. We have seen all the paper work it is definetly £450 a week. Most Local Authority if they can get away with it just get a relative to take a child to look after long term if the parents are not able to, otherwise if it goes through the Court and a Judge awards you custody of a child (neice in this case )they then have to pay you the full fostering fee of £450 a week
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    It is probably different in England from Scotland but as we have full custody of my niece it is different from fostering and we are not entitled to any fostering allowances
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Been to court got residence of nephew. Like Engadine says we only get child benefit and child tax credit. We did at one point get kinship care allowance but since the residence order went through this stopped...we should be getting a residence allowance :rolleyes: certainly not holding my breathe for it tbh. As we no longer have any contact with social services.

I honestly believe that is a huge amount of money for one child per week.

Looking on the web i found this: http://www.bristol-cyps.org.uk/socialcare/providers/claplacements/pdf/SSL14a-foster-carer-allowances.pdf

Foster carers receive an allowance for each child or young person we place with
    them. The rates from 1 April 2008 are by age as follows:
    Age Of Child or young
    person
    Weekly Allowance
    £
    0 - 4 121.60
    5 - 7 138.61
    8 - 10 138.61
    11 - 12 172.55
    13 - 15 172.55
    16 - 19 209.86

So i'm totally baffled as to where £450 comes from :confused:
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family