Petrol vs Diesel on short distances

Comments

• Thank you all for your suggestions!

It keeps coming up, so I'm relunctantly going to mention my car for the final time. It's in near perfect condition, 58,000 miles, with full service history, it's still bright red and looks only a couple of years old due to the care of the owners. I had PROFESSIONAL help when buying it in July 2009, and it was coming out at £1950 for the same models . I purchased it for £1500, which was a cracking deal!
    I have seen a T reg, same as mine, selling for £1500 (not starting price), as it has 68000 miles. I have sold cars before, and although I am no expert I don't feel I need avice on asking prices as none of you have seen my car or know anything about it.

Anyway....................

I have looked into a moped/scooter and I am tempted, my concern is if the weather is bad, I would be happier in car and I also go the gym and play golf straight after work, so space is needed.

Thank you all for your comments on the diesel in short distances. There seems to be a lot of similar comments which is good and reassuring. I really appreciate it!
    debt - £1566 (owed to OH)

2011 Challenges
    Sealed Pot Challenge
    £2 Challenge
    Grocery Challenge
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Huwmungas wrote: »
    Thank you all for your suggestions!

It keeps coming up, so I'm relunctantly going to mention my car for the final time. It's in near perfect condition, 58,000 miles, with full service history, it's still bright red and looks only a couple of years old due to the care of the owners. I had PROFESSIONAL help when buying it in July 2009, and it was coming out at £1950 for the same models . I purchased it for £1500, which was a cracking deal!
    I have seen a T reg, same as mine, selling for £1500 (not starting price), as it has 68000 miles. I have sold cars before, and although I am no expert I don't feel I need avice on asking prices as none of you have seen my car or know anything about it.

I think that we know enough about it to tell you that it isn't worth what you think it is worth.

You need to take a reality check. ;)
  • Gene_Hunt_2
    Gene_Hunt_2 Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    OP why did you ask if you know best?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It doesn't really matter what it is worth OP. If it is as tidy as you suggest it will only be worth that amount to you. Based on the principle of "The devil you know".

Why would you sell it to buy someone elses pile of junk? A has been said petrol is your best option on the miniml mileage you appear to do.
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Get something like a Fiesta, Corsa, Clio ... just a little run around that wont cost the earth to run but you can still get your golf clubs etc in
  • Flearoy
    Flearoy Posts: 274 Forumite
    Keep the Focus. It's obviously a good car. And given you do 22 miles commuting a week, you probably will use about a gallon of fuel. At todays prices, that's about 6 pound and a bit of fuel. If a new car ran on fresh air, it'd take over a year recoup even the extra £500 you considered spending to buy it.
    Skip dipper and proud....
  • JQ.
    JQ. Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    I'm with Flearoy on this one - keep the well maintained reliable car you already have. The cost of swapping cars will wipe out any savings you'll make in petrol costs on the basis you do a tiny mileage. And what happens if you get a lemon, the costs will seriously rocket?

If you want a new car, then get a new car, but don't do it on the basis it's a moneysaving excercise - it's not.

I also agree with the comments on diesels - if you do get a new car, get a small engined petrol.
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 648
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you can get £2k for a W reg focus do you want to start a business? I can get as many as you can sell.

I'll have some of that as well if there is room for another investor :D
  • I agree with the above. You aren't doing that many miles so the scope for saving any money is going to be very small indeed no matter how efficient your new car is.
  • As said most of us would like to think our car can get top dollar, but £2k aint going happen for you, I'm in too on the business venture if you can get top dollar for current car. A 1.8 petrol which you and most people want to get rid of for the same reason to reduce petrol, so it's not going for top price. Better the devil you know, keep car unless you can sell for £2k and buy a top notch small engine car for £1k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure