Self employed + claiming income support?

chrismartin-09
chrismartin-09 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 27 August 2009 at 1:23PM in Benefits & tax credits
Ok, So you will proberly laugh at my stupidity!, but im a little confused, and i do not have a clue about benefits!.:confused:

I am currently not working, and am about to undertake an online course in accountancy. I am also considering the idea of cake decorating part time as there seems to be a gap in the market for them where i live!, I presume this would bring me in around £20 p/w, possibly more? Could i claim income support on these?, The current economy is making it difficult to get a job, and i am desperate to do my accountancy course.

Please could you give me any advice on what benefits i could claim, I would probably be working (on the self employed basis, 1 day out of 7) as my course would be full time.

also any advice on how to go about "becoming self employed", ( such as declaring it)

sorry thats alot but i would be more than greatful for anything :)

thanks

Comments

• dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    You need to fall into a proscribed group in order to be entitled to income support.

For example, a lone parent or a carer.
  • Zara33
    Zara33 Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    Agree with dookar, can I suggest you get us some more info. For example: any children, partner, savings. That sort of stuff.
    Hit the snitch button!
    member #1 of the official warning clique.
    :D:j:D
    Feel the love baby!
  • chrismartin-09
    edited 27 August 2009 at 1:23PM
    Can I get Income Support?

It is for people who:
    • are 16 to 59 years old
    • have a low income
    • work less than 16 hours a week
    • are not in full-time study
    • do not get Jobseeker's Allowance
    • do not have savings above £16,000, and
    • live in great britain
    (taken from the jobcentre website)

Im a little confused now, I always thought aslong as you where working under 16hrs i could claim income support. Could i claim Jobseekers? Seems a bit stupid, as i would in theory have a job, so would'nt be seeking?, also it states it is for people who dont have to sign on as unemployed. All that would happen is my income would need supporting?....

Im so confused!

I dont live with a partner, have no children and absolulty no savings!
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Yeah, that's the criteria for a person who falls into one of the groups.

Should you not then you could claim JSA but would, of course, need to be available and looking for work,
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    You cannot claim JSA whilst studying full time. How many hours would your course be?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Ok, So you will proberly laugh at my stupidity!, but im a little confused, and i do not have a clue about benefits!.:confused:

I am currently not working, and am about to undertake an online course in accountancy. I am also considering the idea of cake decorating part time as there seems to be a gap in the market for them where i live!, I presume this would bring me in around £20 p/w, possibly more? Could i claim income support on these?, The current economy is making it difficult to get a job, and i am desperate to do my accountancy course.

Please could you give me any advice on what benefits i could claim, I would probably be working (on the self employed basis, 1 day out of 7) as my course would be full time.

also any advice on how to go about "becomeing self employed", ( such as declaring it)

sorry thats alot but i would be more than greatful for anything :)

thanks

If you are making about £20 per week, on income support you would get at least an extra £27 to help you out (if you're eligible).

You would probably be better off looking at housing benefits and working tax credits.

I am self-employed and earn a little too much for income support, but I get help paying my rent and council tax, which is actually better for me - making my own money that is enough to keep me afloat, but not having to spend so much on my rent, so my money goes a bit further.

I'm not eligible for working tax credits due to my age and not having a partner of kids, but you may be - so it's worth looking into.
    Slowly working towards earning enough money (through various ventures) to live unworriedly, treat my family and sleep under a lovely roof. x
  • chrismartin-09
    edited 27 August 2009 at 1:38PM
    OK, Its just i ask because a friend of mine who willingly left college, went on to recieve income support, and he did not meet any of the first criteria?, and certainly did not have an income to support?....any way thats nothing to do with me, My course would be an online course, so although they say it could be full time i suppose the less work i do, the longer the course would take, therfore meaning it could be part time, or just when i fancy doing some of it!

just another point, I do not have children and am too young to claim working tax credits so they arnt an option, I live in a house shared with my sister, her boyfriend and his brother, and we all pay towards the bills etc, however i am struggling to meet my share (having to ask my parents to still lend me money), Strange i know but thats my choice, so not sure wether i could claim CTB or HB with that?...
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    OK, Its just i ask because a friend of mine who willingly left college, went on to recieve income support, and he did not meet any of the first criteria?, and certainly did not have an income to support?....any way thats nothing to do with me, My course would be an online course, so although they say it could be full time i suppose the less work i do, the longer the course would take, therfore meaning it could be part time, or just when i fancy doing some of it!

just another point, I do not have children and am too young to claim working tax credits so they arnt an option, I live in a house shared with my sister, her boyfriend and his brother, and we all pay towards the bills etc, however i am struggling to meet my share (having to ask my parents to still lend me money), Strange i know but thats my choice, so not sure wether i could claim CTB or HB with that?...

Income support isn't about supporting (ie "topping up") your income.

If you are studying part time and are available for (and actively seeking) work you can claim JSA, although there will be deductions for any income you have.

You should be able to claim the shared room rate of LHA if you all rent the house together but not if it's owned by a relative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure