Newspaper delivery costs

I just wondered if I'm being ripped off by my newsagent on newspaper delivery fees. I get charged about £10 a month by my local newsagent on top of the cover price to get them delivered and I wonder if that's good, or if I should start shopping around?

What do other people pay?

Comments

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    I've no idea what people pay for delivery charges these days - don't even buy a daily paper.

I suppose you would have to bear in mind the number of papers delivered per day AND if you get any magazines.

Would be interesting to know how much of that £10 goes to the delivery person - though the newsagent would be entitled to some expenses for maintaining a list of deliveries and managing them.
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Can you shop around? Are newsagents not like chemists where they have an 'area' they cover and they don't poach?
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi Doublesilver:hello:

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,458
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Depending on what you read, some papers (Times to my certain knowledge) do have schemes where you pay less for the newspaper so bringing your overall bill down.

Obviously I understand that some people have had to cut out papers to save money. However, if having a paper is expenditure you can afford then I don't think £2.50 a week is expensive. I certainly wouldn't deliver papers for that price.

Could you not walk to the shop and fetch your paper?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    Depending on what you read, some papers (Times to my certain knowledge) do have schemes where you pay less for the newspaper so bringing your overall bill down.

Obviously I understand that some people have had to cut out papers to save money. However, if having a paper is expenditure you can afford then I don't think £2.50 a week is expensive. I certainly wouldn't deliver papers for that price.

Could you not walk to the shop and fetch your paper?

Times, say 20 houses, (may be more), equals £50 a week re one delivery person, unlikely to be paid that amount.

A good money making exercise considering there will be profit on the newspaper as well.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,837
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    my local shop is £3.50 per 7 day week which I think is a bargain.

Getting out of bed and my paper being there is worth 50p a day :beer:
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tcall
    tcall Posts: 222 Forumite
    Well i'm a newsagent so i can give my perspective on this.
    There is a LOT of work involved in delivering newspapers. People seem to think it's just a case of delivering the paper to their door and that's it. But the newsagent has to manage the accounts (which takes me half a day a week on top of all the day to day management), and risk non paying customers and the work that goes with dealing with that. The newsagent also has to pay carriage costs to the wholesaler who delivers the papers to the shop. This can run into thousands of pounds a year, depending on the shop size and area.

For information, the profit on the papers themselves is approximately 20%.

For what it's worth, i charge 25p a day delivery, and rarely get anyone complaining about it. If customers think it's not worth it, they are welcome to get up at the crack of dawn 364 days a year, come rain, shine, snow, ice, wind or whatever and come to the shop for the paper lol.
    I've known newsagents in Surrey villages charging £2.50 a week, so it will certainly depend on your area.

I guess it really depends on whether you think the delivery service is of value to you. You could try shopping around, but i would imagine other shops in the area probably charge a similar amount.
  • hockeyguy
    hockeyguy Posts: 163 Forumite
    I've just started to receive The Times in York from my local newsagent for £1.30 per week (7 day delivery).
    I know that within the M25 The Times is currently offering free delivery if that helps!

There is another post in one of the forums from when I asked for prices that if you search you'll probably be able to find :)
    Good luck!
    2010 Win(s) - Soft toy Koala, £25
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    £10 a month is a bargain, it is easy to have to pay £3 a week at the newsagents I work at.

As tcall says, there are quite a few non-paying customers these days, and that has to be covered as well as all the normal costs.

That said, there is nothing to stop you shopping around for a better price - this is MSE after all!!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • derrick wrote: »
    Times, say 20 houses, (may be more), equals £50 a week re one delivery person, unlikely to be paid that amount.

A good money making exercise considering there will be profit on the newspaper as well.

Hi i also a news agent, i would love to think that the rest after paying paper delivers was profit. I pay another person to write out rounds every morning plus to run the accounts and price changes. Then theres the insurance, news delivery bags, also if any delivery persons off ill the a van and driver is used to cover which has to be at standby every day. Oh and sat and sunday the youngsters can not carry 20 papers due to the weight and health and safety.

What does a first class stamp cost ? 46p times that by seven days and that takes a day to get there, if you are lucky. Think if you get your car out every morning drive down to the shop to collect your paper how much is this going to cost you. Wear and tare on your car, fuel, time? We provide a service that is better than the royal mail but you expect to pay less? Madness and frustrating for us.

This service is a bargin and really should cost alot more! Would you work for free? or a very low wage? Think not. rant over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure