PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning suede

Hi folks,

Anyone got any good tips for cleaning suede jackets, or places that do it cheaply?  I have 2 desperately in need of cleaning, but I'm in Wedding Skinflint mode and can't face the bill of £70 upwards to do both.

I know some people say you can wash them, but love them both so wouldn't like to risk it.

;D Any tips to save this huge chunk of money gratefully received.

M.
:D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D

Comments

16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have a wire brush (available from most fabric shops) and i just give mine a good brushing every so often. for any stains, i dab with luke warm water, and blot really well with kitchen roll to get out all water possible so it doesn't leave a mark. if you do wash, put in a net bag, and do on a delicate wash with no spin, put on a sturdy hanger and drip dry, pref outdoors on a good day, and don't use fabric softner as this makes them go very flat. hope this helps, haven't had mine cleaned in 2 years since someone told me about brushing it!!
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    steam lots of lovely steam and a wire brush

you will get the brush in a shoe shop ask for a suede brush

hang over a kettle or even better if you have a steam cleaner or can cadge one from somewhere

theyll come up good as new

direct the steam on the soiled parts and wipe with clean cloth then as you continue to steam brush the pile up with the brush
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have steam cleaner, i never thought of that. :-[ ::)
  • Marsie
    Marsie Posts: 96 Forumite
    Aha, I currently have custody of my sister's steam cleaner, and I didn't think of it either. Will arm myself with a suede brush and go to work.

One of them is pale pink (pale pink suede, what was I thinking ???), so will have to have a bit of clean mainly round arm cuffs first, but hopefully will be OK.

Thanks folks!

M.
    :D £2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - £800 :D

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin :D
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have a light blue suede jacket that came up great with my steam cleaner

good luck

;D
  • mazza245
    mazza245 Posts: 245 Forumite
    I got a bargain, some beautiful pale pink suede Bertie boots for £5 as they were a bit grubby! My best bargain for some time! I also bought some suede cleaner which nearly cost as much as the boots but it hasn't got them clean! I assumed that I would be able to find an old household recipe for cleaning suede but everywhere just seems to recommend the spray cleaner! Please has anyone any ideas? I suppose I could just wear them under trousers but it does seem a shame.....!
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    i had a suede cleaner from Brantano that worked. it was like a small fine sanding block and cost around £2.50. You could try some very fine sandpaper on any stubborn marks but you would have to be very careful. I expect somebody willl know f a dry cleaning method with bicarb or something!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you tried putting masking tape over them and then lifting off the dirt. Cobblers don't recomend you use suede brushes as it removes a layer of suede.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    You need the suede cleaning block that forever skint mentioned. Clarks call it a 'nubuck block'. Either that or a 'crepe brush'. Suede brushes are too harsh as they are wire and like Poppy says remove the suede. A crepe brush is made of crepe (suprisingly!) and as you rub the suede or nubuck the crepe gets hot and sticky and dirt and stuff sticks to it.

A nubuck block costs £2.95 & the crepe brush is £3.20. This is from Clarks although I imagine a supermarket or local discount store would sell their own versions a lot cheaper. I always find the nubuck block works better - its like an eraser and rubs of any marks although very stubborn marks may not come out.

Once you have cleaned them then spray them with protector spray. As well as making your boot water resistant it will also make them stain resistant so they will be easier to clean the next time. OMG - listen to me, I'm like a walking advertisment - can you tell I work in a shoe shop :D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Well done on your bargain boots - they sound very pretty.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills