Magnet v Howden kitchens

As the title suggests.. anyone have any experince of both? How do they stand up against each other?
Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

Sir Winston Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Comments

• I've fitted both and because they are rigid units, they tend to be better than B&Q. I could not really say one was better than the other in terms of build quality but I'd always go for Magnet, but then I get up to 60% discount from them!!
  • I would never buy Magnet after the way they treated their workers

Magnet Dispute
    The 1996 Congress carried an emergency motion condemning the sacking of 350 striking workers by Magnet Kitchens, Darlington. Member of UCATT, GMB, TGWU and AEEU had been engaged in a lawful trade dispute over pay and conditions when they had been dismissed on 3 September. The company had continued production by engaging a replacement workforce.
  • but I'd always go for Magnet, but then I get up to 60% discount from them!![/QUOTE

Sorry to be nosy Bad Boy but is that a trade discount ?

Thanks
  • Yeah, I used to buy alot from them a yar or two ago, not so much now but they let me keep the discount as I still buy from them from time to time.
  • Don't have experience of both but other readers may be interested to know I didn't have any problems opening a Howdens account in my local town, and paying for a kitchen ordered/delivered on that account in a different town.

The resulting fitted kitchen turned out fine and the inevitable minor problems were resolved without hassle. I'd be happy to use them again.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My current kitchen is Magnet & the quality is excellent. The fact that they are not flat packed makes a huge difference.

I've had my kitchen for 4yrs now & when last year I wanted an additional base unit after having a space that the tumble dryer had occupied, I was able to get one from Magnet delivered to my door in 2 days. I was happy to find that they continue to manufacture this particular range.

I'd definitely buy Magnet again.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • For me the Magnet kitchen was great, but only really worth it if you are going to go for their little extras, such as the self closing drawers, corner carosels, etc. If not I would personally say from the outside the cupboards weren't much different to a B&Q one.

Much as Magnet say they will get their own people to fit them, they are still contractors, and the people who fitted mine had never fitted a kitchen before, only a conservatory! So as you can expect they were complete novices and messed the job up.

So if I did it again, I would perhaps purchase from them again, but only if I had someone of my choosing to fit it!
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Would not let Magnet install a kitchen for me again. Nothing wrong with the units however the cowboys that put it in will not be crossing my door again. They failed to seal the worktop round the sink properly so that needs replaced. And can I get someone to do it? Can I *%$£
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • So if I did it again, I would perhaps purchase from them again, but only if I had someone of my choosing to fit it!
    I totally agree with you there, with Magnet there is no obligation to use their fitters and as with mechanics, plumbers etc, I would only ever use someone who has been recommended or you are happy with from previous work.
    A good kitchen fit can be done by an novice, but an experianced joiner will know all the problems and answers before he/she starts, and the end product is generally much better.
  • stu3105
    stu3105 Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Howdens are the trade version of MFI although their kitchen ranges have different names.Got mine from Howdens they were very good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure