Cats Protection neutering vouchers?

Comments

• Hi all, thanks for all the help, i'll pass it on to her. Her Brother called for the quote, she thinks it might include microchipping but will find out herself. Both cats are vaccinated & insured & she had the money for this but had to go to America in an emergency & didn't know they'd maybe come into season now, she wasn't planning to let them out till they're done but it was me who said they might come in season & will be a nightmare & loud etc etc so blame me all! lol she's not seen a cat in season only a dog so doesn't know the joys!
  • Notsosharp
    Notsosharp Posts: 2,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Kimberley wrote: »
    The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that.

I could be wrong but I think the CPL would prefer for her to have the cats neutered at their expense rather than having the even larger expense of re-homing any of the resultant kittens if they are not done.....Its not really taking money from a charity if one the reasons they give the vouchers in the first place is to prevent unwanted litters of kittens, some of which they may end up re-homing. It probably SAVES them money in the long run.
  • windra
    windra Posts: 199 Forumite
    Here is the link to the Nottingham RSPCA, you would have to google for your local rspca site.

http://www.rspcanottingham.co.uk/neutchip.php
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Notsosharp wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the CPL would prefer for her to have the cats neutered at their expense rather than having the even larger expense of re-homing any of the resultant kittens if they are not done.....Its not really taking money from a charity if one the reasons they give the vouchers in the first place is to prevent unwanted litters of kittens, some of which they may end up re-homing. It probably SAVES them money in the long run.

Hmm I guess so but it does make me angry when people take on pets without thinking about the costs and rely on others to pay for them.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hmm I guess so but it does make me angry when people take on pets without thinking about the costs and rely on others to pay for them.

Sorry but who exactly has done that? My friend had the money for neutering etc but unfortunately her b-f died in America & she had to go to his funeral which cost quite alot in flights & accommodation etc. It was ME not HER that suggested asking about vouchers because she didn't realise they'd be as they are when in season, she's only seen a dog in heat & not had the joys of a cat, she was gonna wait & resave & do them in a few months, keeping them in in the meantime.

Sorry to get mad but she's been thru enough & I feel as though she's getting criticised when she's done the right thing for them & circumstances have changed her plans, plus it was me who said get them done asap & that decided to try to find ways to help before they're in heat. Normally I agree, if people (Like my Stepsister) get pets with no thought to it but these have had alot of thought go into them even before they became available.
  • UKTigerlily
    Sorry Kimberley I was out of order above, I realise you're trying to help. I shouldnta got upset x
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Tigerlilly I appreciate that your friend has had a hard time, but we can only respond to the information given. All we knew was that she didn't have the money to pay and wanted help. The it emerged she "had" to travel to the US for an "emergency" which unfortunately on here often doesn't REALLY mean emergency... As you didn't elaborate we assumed that like 99% of cases this was more a case of "want" than really emergency "need".
    If you read back over the advice given maybe that gives a new view on the replies :)
    I am truly sorry for the times she's been through, I'd say if she can't afford to pay the spays now (after shopping round for prices) then maybe you or her dad could lend her the money to have them done? Or the vet might be willing to do a payment plan with her... if you don't ask... :)
    I know at 6 months my little girl became a little hudini so she was in the vets for her op the second they would accept her :) More to the point I got fed up with having 5 male cats yowling outside my house and fighting because she obviously "interested" them ;) Her brother thankfully couldn't have cared less... He still prefers a big cuddle from his mum although he was done soon after his sister :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • UKTigerlily
    ogod I forgot about the male cats hanging about, don't think i'll warn her of that yet! I'm waiting for her to come online cause she was gonna ring round other Vets for quotes & a few numbers I gave her today, i'm not sure if her Dad can help her but imagine not, I have suggested asking for installments though so hopefully her Vet willl let her do that. It's ok about responses, only one upset me but I should expect it & I just snapped for which i'm sorry, I just don't like it when people decide on situations without all the facts but like you say I didn't post them all at once. I think if it's closer to £100 for both than the £200 her Bro said that'll help lol I was suprised as I thought I paid about £35 when I lived in Devon for my females, even though my friend is in Hertdordshire £200 for them seemed alot lol

I'm hoping she'll have got a few quotes from local Vets & asked about payment plans & some will say yes. If it's more like what I paid £35ish per cat it's not so bad, her Dad could maybe help with that I dunno.
  • moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    The vouchers are meant for the most needy, if she can afford it she should really pay for it herself. I would never have bought my kittens if I couldn't afford to neuture them, I could never take money from a charity like that. What would she to do if they needed veterinary treatment? I hope she has insurance ;)

That is not an attitude that ANY of the animal charities would approve of or condone! Many times we are more than happy to assist people on low incomes in having a pet (that is, after all, what the schemes are for) and the fact that one does not have much money does not preclude one from being a decent and caring pet owner: just as having money does not necessarily make people suitable as pet owners;).
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • lxpeanut
    lxpeanut Posts: 8,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £200 pounds is far too steap. My vets charge £36 for a boy and £65 for a girl. I would get her to phone cats protection ect and see if they will help usualy if its a choice between contributing to the nuetering and unwanted kittens they will try to help.
    "You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts" - Arthur Schlesinger

Proud to be have dealt with my debt :D Debt Free Sept 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport