Holiday cancellation & CC refund??

sassyblue
sassyblue Posts: 3,783
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA :)

Happy moneysaving all.

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    sassyblue wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA :)

Section 75 will only come in to play if the supplier fails to deliver, not if you cancel.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Section 75 wont cover it. You may have some other form of insurance with your credit card though (eg American Express cover such things upto a certain amount)
  • sassyblue
    Forumite
    Damn! cheers anyway typhoon and ILW.

What to do.... :think:

Happy moneysaving all.
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...
  • sassyblue
    Forumite
    goggle wrote: »
    you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Fiddlestick
    Fiddlestick Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    sassyblue wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.

As stated by another poster, this protection is only there to cover you against a failure to deliver on the part of the supplier.

If Center Parcs went bust and could not deliver the holiday, you would have a valid reason to claim, but since you are voluntarily canceling the trip then you do not.
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Bunting wrote: »
    How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.

Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?

It would certainly help me out!:rotfl:
  • Debras_Angel
    Debras_Angel Posts: 620
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Oh that made me chuckle ILW!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family