no id for bank account

Hi hope you can help.
I am wanting to open a basic bank account but have no id such as passport , driving licence etc.

I am on electoral roll and all utility bills are in my name inc council tax , water , electric , gas , tv etc.

would this be sufficient or would more id be required ? any advice appreciated
we all have bad days , some more than others ..................

Comments

• seeya23
    seeya23 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2010 at 1:48PM
    barcalays cash card account you need

Identification documents required sp.gif Cash Card Accounts
    To open an account we need confirmation of who you are and where you live. We need two original documents (not photocopies) from the lists below.
    To confirm who you are, we need one of the following:
    • Full passport.
    • European Union member state Identity Card.
    • UK Photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence.
    • Benefit books/benefit entitlement letters; includes pension, Child Benefit, income support, disability and Job Seeker's Allowance.
    To confirm where you live, we need one of the following:
    • UK Photocard driving licence or UK full paper driving licence with current address (if not used as identification).
    • Gas bill (less than three months old).
    • Water bill (less than three months old).
    • Telephone bill for a fixed line (less than three months old), not a mobile phone bill.
    • Local authority council tax bill (current financial year).
    • Bank statement (less than three months old) from another bank (Internet statements are not acceptable).
    • Mortgage statement that's less than 12 months old (Internet statements are not acceptable).
    • Council rent book (must be current).
    • HM Revenue & Customs notice of tax coding (current tax year).
    You can't use the same item twice. For joint accounts, we'll need this identification from both of you.
    If you want advice on what documents to provide or need help completing the application call us free on 0800 015 4996 (Textphone 0800 015 4997). To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls.

[SIZE=+1]all so try abbey when i apply online they did ask for any id at all
    [/SIZE]
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 January 2010 at 1:51PM
    Do you have anything from the Revenue (notice of coding, tax demand, statement of account or benefits etc) - most banks accept these instead of the passport/driving license.

Are you looking any particular bank - others on here may have opened accounts with them.

[edit] I have used a Notice of Coding as a 'who you are' proof at several places (obviously not Barclays..)
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    how about applying online for the Natwest Step account?
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    A number of providers use electronic verification which is driven by electoral register and credit files.

It's very likely that such providers won't have any problems verifying your ID.
  • chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Are you employed? If so, you could ask your employer to write you a letter of recommendation to the bank they use, asking if they could extend you normal banking facilities.
  • nat west is pretty close to my house so i think i will give them a try , but what id will i need ?
  • i work on a farm and am paid in cash , so i only need a very basic account for occasional bill payments
  • opinions4u . can you name any of the ones that use this method?
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Halifax are one bank that uses electronic verification. They'll be able to tell you before they go through the application whether they'll need to see any ID documents or not.

Natwest did not use it in August 2008, but may do now, I don't know.

Barclays and Abbey do not use electronic verification at all.
  • book12
    book12 Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    nat west is pretty close to my house so i think i will give them a try , but what id will i need ?

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g2/id-required.ashx
    http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g4/common-questions.ashx

I would get a photo ID for other reasons besides a bank account in the future, such as going into bars/clubs, proof of age, and the right to work here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure