Christmas Shoebox Appeals

I just wanted to remind you all about the shoe box appeals around Christmas time. January sales would be an excellent time to buy little bits to go in some shoe boxes and you might not notice the extra cost, if you buy bits all through the year.

I mention it now, as I forgot *hangs head in shame* last year, and missed the deadline date...so am DEFINATLY on a mission to make up as many shoeboxes as possible.

The thing that spurred me on to post this now, was pictures of Romanian children receiving the shoeboxes in the local paper this morning. Their little faces brought a tear to my eye, and there and then I vowed never to forget it again!

http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/filling-a-box.asp

There are many organisations who run shoebox appeals, some with religious attachments and others without, I saw a fair few mentioned on here before Christmas, but for a general idea, the link above gives you an idea of what it entails.

Well done to everyone who made a shoebox last year :T ... and just think if everyone on MSE made one shoe box, so many little kids Christmas's would be made so much brighter! :money:

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

Comments

• play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    Thanks Jamtart6 I have already started mine. I donate a shoe box for every person I feel I 'should' buy a present for but know for certain that they have all they want and would rather not recieve one. I am such a person and ask allmy friends to do the same. i sent 14 boxes last year via this service:

http://www.linkromania.co.uk/filling_a_box.htm

Each box is for a family rather than just one child and there is no religeous materials put into the box after it is sent.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    oh I really like sending them to a family idea!!! I know christmas is children orientated, but Im sure the whole family have had some hard times!

Thanks for this link, the info and "what to pack" is really good, and there is a collection point close by to me. I might get all the family involved and try and get over the 50 shoe boxes. If we start now theres no excuse!!

I have just found my first item, a 5 pack of unopened socks that I have no need for as I definatly have enough socks to last until im 30! I also *shamefully* know that there is plenty of stuff in my wardrobe unworn with the tags on...so clearour will be first port of call followed by buying little bits each week!

I did it when i was younger, and still write to the girl who got my shoebox!! I am THRILLED that the link you posted, goes to her village!!!!

thanks!!

• play2day
    Oh bless, Jamtart6 that is lovely!
    I like the idea of going for 50 boxes. Your right if we get started now it should be achievable though storing them could be a problem.....
    I bought some small 'chilly and friends' stuffed toys in Tescos today at 64p each and also boxes of dominos in Wilkinsons at 25p each so I am off to a good start for this year.
  • jamtart6
    maybe we could keep each other posted on where there are cheap/cheerful things to go in shoeboxes and encourage other money savers to get involved too!

• play2day
    Super idea! Will do. As you have insider info as to what would be very useful and welcome in the shoe boxes I hope that you will be able to give us all hints and tips!
  • jamtart6
    Just out of the corner of my beady eye i spotted a bag of marbles which i saved from the semi non tacky crackers, there is also a tape measure (not so sure that will be useful!) but if you still have bits of things like that knocking around, im sure they could go in gratefully too!

• barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    cant remember why but after a report on our local news a couple of years back lots of schools and other organisations stopped doing them. my daughters school has not done them for about 3 years.
    wish i could remember why.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    barmonkey wrote:
    cant remember why but after a report on our local news a couple of years back lots of schools and other organisations stopped doing them. my daughters school has not done them for about 3 years.
    wish i could remember why.

http://humfam.humgroups.org.uk/Samaritans_Purse.html may remind you.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    that was it
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    I think this is a great idea, and would like to participate.:T

Won't be going with the Samaritans one though - the Romanian link appears the better one.

Just need to buy shoes now to get a box....:p
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure