jsa stopped/ esa refused/still off sick/ NOW WHAT

what happens if you have been turned down for esa, your jsa has been stopped but yr doctor still says you are not fit for work because of severe depressive illness ?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Why have you been turned down for ESA? Did you fail the medical/ WCA? Do you feel fit for work?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Have just seen your other thread - if she does not feel fit for work she needs to appeal the ESA decision (assuming she received it recently). She needs to advise the JCP that she wishes to continue to receive the ESA Assessment Rate whilst the appeal is being considered.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • eliza71
    eliza71 Posts: 7 Forumite
    esa refused because she didn't get enough points..... didn't get any in fact.. but feels she answered questions wrongly ie asked what time she gets up she said 7.30am.. thats to get her daughter to school.. didn't tell them she goes back to bed until her daughter gets home...cries for no reason and obviously not fit for job seeking but getting medical treatment and psycho therapy.... job centre told her that she has been assessed and HAS to seek employment in spite of this.. she has sent letter of appeal but meantime has no income
  • abhdad
    abhdad Posts: 1 Newbie
    Eliza
    30 years work, then business bust, lost house, loads debts, Mum died, son with leukaemia, wife went off with someone else, bitter divorce, 3 kids in the middle. all in 18 months.
    No family or friends support, only GP
    JSA used to watch me come in and sign in tears, no help offered, one staff gave me some 0845 numbers which i couldn't cope with, so everything got stopped. I went 8 months with nothing. Now improving, but going thru all the same old battles again, which drag me backwards.
    What is ESA and who are you going to appeal to. The thing that keeps me going now is bitterness and anger, that i wasn't given help, and was left to sort myself out. I couln't even have typed this a year ago.:(
  • Hannah_10
    Hannah_10 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    eliza71 wrote: »
    esa refused because she didn't get enough points..... didn't get any in fact.. but feels she answered questions wrongly ie asked what time she gets up she said 7.30am.. thats to get her daughter to school.. didn't tell them she goes back to bed until her daughter gets home...cries for no reason and obviously not fit for job seeking but getting medical treatment and psycho therapy.... job centre told her that she has been assessed and HAS to seek employment in spite of this.. she has sent letter of appeal but meantime has no income

This happens a lot, it's all so very very British, stiff upper lip and all that. The trouble is the stiff upper lip approach masks the truth and the truth was what they needed to see.

If she talks to her Dr about how life is for her she may be allocated a CPN (community psychiatric nurse) or social worker. Don't worry about the social worker, they're from the adult team not the child team, there is no way they will take the child away, they're there to put Mum back on her feet. Taking the child away wouldn't be right for the child (and anyway it costs hundreds a week to put a child in foster care), whereas helping Mum is probably a matter of continued support a few hours a week. It's normal for a mum with depression to fear losing her kids if she asks for help, but actually it's the opposite. Depression tends to be progressive and worsen over time. I know you called this severe, but this is far from the lowest depths a depression could sink her to, she needs to understand that where she is is currently in the middle and she needs to opt for up rather than down and get support before things do turn into her fears and she does lose the little one.

If she is assigned some comminuty assistance, be that a CPN or social worker (they all work together anyway, so whichever she has they'll be on the same side) that person will help her appeal her benefits and get what is fairly due. Thier position means they are taken a lot more seriously by the benefits agency than just her alone. Also when depressed she probably doesn't have the energy to fight these battles herself. But she has a daughter to support and so she needs to call in the pro's to help her asap.

Tell her to get an urgent Dr's appointment and pour her heart out and ask for an urgent call from the CMHT (community mental health team, where the CPNs and social workers work) it truly is the best thing she could do now.
    I refuse to be afraid of the big bad wolf, spiders, or debt collection agencies; one of them's not real and the other two are powerless without my fear.
    (Ok, one of them is powerless, spiders can be nasty.)

As of the last count I have cleared
    [STRIKE]23.16%[/STRIKE] 22.49% of my debt. :(
  • dookar
    dookar Posts: 1,654 Forumite
    Why has the JSA been stopped? Not due to illness, surely?
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    abhdad wrote: »
    Eliza
    30 years work, then business bust, lost house, loads debts, Mum died, son with leukaemia, wife went off with someone else, bitter divorce, 3 kids in the middle. all in 18 months.
    No family or friends support, only GP
    JSA used to watch me come in and sign in tears, no help offered, one staff gave me some 0845 numbers which i couldn't cope with, so everything got stopped. I went 8 months with nothing. Now improving, but going thru all the same old battles again, which drag me backwards.
    What is ESA and who are you going to appeal to. The thing that keeps me going now is bitterness and anger, that i wasn't given help, and was left to sort myself out. I couln't even have typed this a year ago.:(

Sounds aweful and I would not wish it on anyone but did you actually ask for any help?
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • eliza71 wrote: »
    what happens if you have been turned down for esa, your jsa has been stopped but yr doctor still says you are not fit for work because of severe depressive illness ?

ESA is tricky especially for mental health illnesses.

You really need to contact your local DIAL http://www.dialuk.info/ and ask for assistance. Also look for a local welfare rights organisation or CAB.

All these provide advice and assistance in claiming benefits, filling out forms and lodging appeals.

Now your ESA when were you turned down?

If you are still within a month of the decision call them and request an appeal form (it's called a GL24 form) or you can download it if times pressing.

Time is of the essence here so you need to get this form and get advice a.s.a.p.

You should also look at the DLA benefit and get advice to see if you meet the criteria for it.

Remember often with a mental health illness the illness itself effects how you perceive yourself and the therefore the problems you experience. This is why it's vital to get help of people experienced in mental health and benefits.

@ abhdad it's a benefit based on your 'Fitness to Work' or lack of it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There does seem to be a gap between JSA and ESA. Last week our local radio was discussing a man with ME who had been passed as fit at a medical and so had lost his ESA. JSA was being refused because his GP has said that he is not fit to work and so he wasn't "available for and actively seeking work".

There are a lot of conditions - physical and mental - where someone can do all that's asked of them in a medical but, unless the effect of doing those things repeatedly during the day, day after day, is taken into account, it gives a false view of their capabilities.

The OP needs to get help from an advisor to put in an appeal.
  • eliza71
    eliza71 Posts: 7 Forumite
    thank you all so much .. iknow she has written a letter to say she wants to appeal but didn't even know that there was a special form .... took me 5 hours to help her fill in the last one so good to know her cpn might be able to help with this .... after a 3 month wait she has finally got an appointment.. would u believe i used to work for dss but resigned after paying someon out of my own pocket i was so disgusted with the system .. and that was back in 1980!!!! it's even worse now but i do feel that maybe too many people r abusing the system and thats what makes it so difficult for genuine cases.. tks for help and wish everyone a good and uncomplicated future xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure