Un-Sorn a vehicle.

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 January 2011 at 3:09PM
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    I just took my insurance and V5 to the post office and got a tax dsk (car doesn't need an MOT) I think you can get a copy V5 (or your brother can) and you will need a prebooked MOT or you can be prosecuted for having an untaxed car on the hghway.

If the car is over 3 years old it DOES require a valid MOT to purchase road tax.
    If the MOT isnt pre-booked you could possibly be prosecuted for no tax AND no MOT. (assuming the car wasnt taxed of course)
  • rev_henry wrote: »
    You could just keep it in his name for the time being until you find the V5. Then MOT and insure it, then order your tax online so no one has to see the V5 you can't find. Thus you have a useable car while you're finding the V5/applying for a new one.

Yep, MOT it, insure it in your own name as registered keeper and owner, buy the tax online and it will be delivered to your brother.
    Meanwhile, download this. http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067819.pdf

Fill it in and send it away with a cheque for (I think, double check) £25. Perhaps make dearest brother pay for it.
    Now everything will be sorted.
  • catieeb06
    catieeb06 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Thanks so much! Someone I know in the motor industry has just rung me back and confirmed this!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    If the car is over 3 years old it DOES require a valid MOT to purchase road tax.
    If the MOT isnt pre-booked you could possibly be prosecuted for no tax AND no MOT. (assuming the car wasnt taxed of course)

Sorry for any confusion I mean't in my case the car didn't need an MOT not that the OP's car doesn't need an MOT...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You dont need the logbook to change owners, You can apply for a new log book in your name.

BUT the DVLA may send your brother a fine for not notifying them of change of keeper by sending the
    V5 back. You can insure the car in your name but your brother still being the owner. Insurance may
    charge you more though. Some online quotes assume you are the registered keeper and the legal owner.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• nearlyrich wrote: »
    Sorry for any confusion I mean't in my case the car didn't need an MOT not that the OP's car doesn't need an MOT...

Was thinking that, I changed my reply a couple of times as well as what I'd written didnt read right and may have mislead lol.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    You don't have to do it like this but this way is easiest IMHO

You need to MOT first, whilst it's still your brother's name.

Get the best insurance quote and insure it to start in a few days time say about 7 days - this gives you a few days for the insurance certificate to arrive.

Then buy it/register it in your name on the day the insurance is due to start and send off the V5 keep the section 9 (?) green part for yourself.

Go to Post Office with MOT, Insurance and V5 green slip, to get your tax disc and you are officially UNSORNED
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2011 at 10:40PM
    Wig wrote: »
    You don't have to do it like this but this way is easiest IMHO

You need to MOT first, whilst it's still your brother's name.

Get the best insurance quote and insure it to start in a few days time say about 7 days - this gives you a few days for the insurance certificate to arrive.

Then buy it/register it in your name on the day the insurance is due to start and send off the V5 keep the section 9 (?) green part for yourself.

Go to Post Office with MOT, Insurance and V5 green slip, to get your tax disc and you are officially UNSORNED

You can't mot it without insurance. (Well you can, but you can't drive it there)
    So I would say the best way it to apply for a new V5 in the op's name, with the brothers agreement. (Assuming he has transferred from his Gran)
    As this now makes him the owner and keeper, he can insure it in his name.
    Drive it to the pre-booked MOT.
    Pass.
    Apply for tax at the post office with the V5 (if it has arrived), MOT, and insurance.
    Or
    Apply online, and get the tax in the post.
    Enjoy the drive.
  • It's already at the garage. My mechanic came up here last week and drove it down there.

I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow and ask him to check if the log book is in there. IF it isn't then I have that form that another poster has given me the link to.

I can tax it, insure it etc... I checked on the website, I can drive it for the last 5 working days of the month having bought the tax online but not displaying it. It's not an offence so long as I have a cover note in my car to explain.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    catieeb06 wrote: »
    It's already at the garage. My mechanic came up here last week and drove it down there.

I'm gonna give him a call tomorrow and ask him to check if the log book is in there. IF it isn't then I have that form that another poster has given me the link to.

I can tax it, insure it etc... I checked on the website, I can drive it for the last 5 working days of the month having bought the tax online but not displaying it. It's not an offence so long as I have a cover note in my car to explain.

I may be wrong.

It's hard to insure a car you don't own. (unless it's your wife or parents)
    You can tax a car one or two days before the month end, and drive it up to 5 days into the month without displaying a tax disc.
    eg, you can tax a car on the 30th of Jan, to start in Feb, and drive up to the 5th of Feb.
    Before that you have to tax starting the 1st of Jan.
    Nothing about the last 5 days I know of though.
    But keep the email from the DVLA in the car, along with your insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure