The Ultimate February Challenge

NinjaSavingKat
NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 February 2013 at 6:37PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
The Ultimate February Challenge; 28 days Later!!!
Take Only What You Need

We have all heard of or watched the zombie film 28 Days Later. A man wakes up in a deserted, litter strewn and creepy London. He realizes the world has been taken over by the walking dead so he runs. What does he take with him - only what he needs! He meets with others and they travel together, protecting and encouraging one another and what do they take with them - only what they need!!!

I am on a journey! Every month a new challenge arises with barbarians ready to take on this challenge and join me on my quest of debt freedom. I am fighting the great fight against the marketing of merchandise I supposedly need, of conglomerate food prices and the ever present girly urge to buy something new and shiny!!!

So join me dear reader, follow my rules, support your comrades and clear those debts. The theme this month is this; take only what you need! Afterall it’s only 28 days?

It started as rioting. But right from the beginning you knew this was different. Because it was happening in small villages and market towns. And then it wasn't on the TV any more. It was in the street outside. It was coming in through your windows. It was a virus. An infection!”
This infection = SPENDING!

There are rules to follow but you need to create and discover your own self-restraint, your own desire to succeed and your own strength. This month’s challenge is a little bit different to others that have been posted in the past few months.

We will use “Spend Free Day” = SFD to indicate your lack of spending on a particular day. Mark up your name on this thread and you will be added with a number for “UFC”. If you are wanting to lurk and cheer-lead please do. If this challenge doesn’t suit you please be aware it is VERY difficult to incorporate rules that suit everyone. Perhaps this challenge isn’t for you.

1. This challenge will commence on the 1st February 2013 @ Midnight and finish on the 28th February 2013 @ Midnight.
  2. In light of some needing to avail of yellow sticker promotions when they are immediately available (me included) there is NO specifically required SFD. You are NOT tied into only doing your spending on a particular day. But if by chance you DO have a SFD tell us anyway.
  3. Those who are desperate to be told what to do and work better with rigid rules I want 20 SFD's.
  4. Set your overall budget before the commencement of UFC. Make sure you are compensating for food, possible vehicle malfunctions, birthdays, public travel and outings and also include beauty products. Then see if anything can be deducted from that. This month has to be TIGHT with the most amount of money saved.In total including food mine is £150.
  5. Ladies downshift some beauty bits. Use up EVERYTHING of what you have then reconsider that £30 foundation, the £25 face wash and such like. Are these products REALLY making a difference of providing a nice placebo effect? I downshifts my hairspray from Tresemme @ £2.89 to Tesco's Everyday Value @ 37p. No major difference!
  6. Social outing MUST be planned for and budgeted for otherwise you don’t go. Book your friends in now.
  7. Food budget has to be set and stuck too religiously. Many mishaps in January on my part will now be rectified. My budget is £60!!
  8. As with every other challenge those with stuffed cupboards need to clear them first - your budget will be for essentials like milk, bread, fruit and vegetables. You will be astounded by how much you save.
  9. Buy a homeless person a coffee/tea out of your budget.
  10. Get to grips with eBay, get ruthless and sell what you haven’t worn in 6 months and what you haven’t read. No particular budget required but I would say a minimum of £50 is a good start for each participant.
  11. Bring your lunch to work everyday with no exceptions. Stay away from Starbucks, Costa, Nero, work Canteens, cafes and take away’s. Buy a travel mug or flask and use that and batch cook.
  12. Put aside £10 for a treat at the end of the month - preferable day 28. it can be anything as your reward. Mine will food related no doubt!:p

That’s it. Who’s with me?

When joining in please do not copy and paste this entire thread and comment on each point. You are either in or out. It will take up too much space and clog the thread. When you are putting forth your name just a one liner is sufficient. Commenting, cheering, lurking and updates will commence on the 1st February only. Until then I will simply be adding names to the list. And please remember the theme of this thread is to HELP ONE ANOTHER so unhelpful, nasty or rude comments will not be tolerated and marked as spam and reported

[FONT=&quot][threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

Comments

• NinjaSavingKat
    NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2013 at 10:40AM
    Saved for the barbarian contenders..... are you ready???

1 = NSK
    2 = StopLurking
    3 = KarmaChiLoveThing
    4 = ThriftyLass
    5 = Kerfuffle
    6 = Sholly
    7 = Ninno820
    8 = Mayfair1985
    9 = RosisCheeksBlossom
    10 = NikSyg
    11 = HappyBeingMe
    12 = Siouxsie32
    13 = PurpleJay
    14 = Cranny44
    15 = PoodleGal
    16 = BeckyBoo1980
    17 = Abundant1972
    18 = SunnyFace
    19 = LearningToBudget
    20 = Fairy3
    21 = LionHeartedGirl
    22 = CandyCupcake
    23 = WiggysGirl
    24 = NannyGladys
    25 = DottyDoodle
    26 = Maylea
    27 = Everhopeful09
    28 = KM1977
    29 = Squinky
    30 = Gien
    31 = StressedSteph
    32 = Missyv30
    33 = Munchin
    34 = Capricious
    35 = WantTobeSE
    36 = Welshdreamer71
    37 = CrazyCatLady1
    38 = IWillSucceed
    39 = YorkshireLass
    40 = His_Missus
    41 = ComplimentsChemistry
    42 = RebekahR
    43 = Oompa Loompa
    44 = Gretchen2012
    45 = Kerri_DFW
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I'm in. back later with Budget
    MFIT -T5 #42
  • I'm in too. Will confirm budgets later.
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2013 at 3:56PM
    Count me in, off to read the rules. Thought I commit first so I can't chicken out ;)

Thanks for a great new thread NSK

Edit. 20 SFD should be ok. As I already did my numbers for Feb I can let you know my budget. It's £290. That basically includes all variable spends/bill i.e. my mobile, my fuel/bus money, food for 2.5 people (£150, gonna try again as I went way over last months, so the initial aim is to finally make that target) as well as HH and extras. It's my birthday on Valentine's but I'm not planning anything big. Maybe BF will take me out for tea or we have friends for dinner (in the budget). Ebay is my friend now so set myself a target of £100
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Kerfuffle
    Kerfuffle Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Count me in too please.
  • Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269 Forumite
    Can I have a number please Kat? :)
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Count me in as well please. I want to set a total budget of £228 to include everything from lunch out to hairdressers with food and groceries included. Will aim for 20 SFD and £50 ebay as well.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • I'm back in. Will be back to post a shameful budget later.

Barbarian #10 reporting for debt slaughtering, eBay plundering, survey site pillaging and general bludgeoning of those red figures.

My friends are booked in. Apparently they missed us in January and all want to do things in Feb, which is fine but you know, purse strings etc.

There's a lot going on this month that's going to cost. I've been shying away from the budget doing but shall do it tonight after a run. In the same breath I'm so happy with how January went (and December, and November) that I am not to sad about the coming month. It'll be nice to relax a bit after being so blinking strict for the last 3!

Lets Get It ON!!!!!!
  • Hello everyone

NSK, Keeping up the good work as always:j:j:j:j:j

As in the Hokey Kokey, Im putting my whole self in for your february challenge, just not letting my whole self out.....

Not sure about numbers yet, will get back to you soon, dont get paid until thursday and wages are never the same every month.

Looking forward to it xxx
    Halifax CC All paid Mort £7669.99,Car loan 31 months to go
    Food 99.25/100 Petrol 133.12/150 presents 59.12/80 going out 73.75/150 toiletries 4.50/5 other 179.07/100 money made 480 SFD 11/20
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    I am IN! Already set budget in my head, will go through figures and update.
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport