PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to change the title deed of my house?

Hello All

I bought my house in May 2004 and the solicitors I used could be compared to theives.

Anyway, I changed my name last year and informed my mortgage lender Halifax about that through deed poll etc. I guess they were OK as my license and passport were all updated in my new name by then.

No I am re-mortgaging my house with First Direct (FD). I sent them the deed poll but they are refusing to accept that as it does not have any solicitor or notary public's approval on it (law does not require it and I used my deed poll successfully everywhere else).

They have asked me to get my title deed for the house updated to my new name. They have advised local solicitors (which rules the one I used to buy the house out for sure).

Another solicitor informs me that FD should do that themselves when they change the deed from Halifax to FD and inform land registry about it. He has also advised me to contact the land registry myself but I don't have the title reference for land registry which apparently you need before you discuss anything with them. Where do I get this title reference from? Solicitor says it should start with EX as the house is in Essex...

Could someone please advise what is the right way forward with costs (if any) associated etc..

Many thanks in advance...

Comments

• amandajp_2
    amandajp_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    When I got married last year I added my maiden name to my married name by deed poll and all I needed to do was send my deed poll document to the local land registry office with a letter (including old and new signature) and they changed the land registry record without any problem. (Done within 2 working days). You can find the address of your local office here http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/regional/

Hope this helps
    Amanda

P.S. There was no charge for doing this.
  • Richard_Webster
    Richard_Webster Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When I got married last year I added my maiden name to my married name by deed poll and all I needed to do was send my deed poll document to the local land registry office with a letter (including old and new signature) and they changed the land registry record without any problem. (Done within 2 working days). You can find the address of your local office here http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/regional/

Hope this helps
    Amanda

P.S. There was no charge for doing this.

That's right - find out your local Land Registry then phone up their enquiries and give your address and they will find the title number for you. Explain what you want to do and they will walk you through it. It is pretty straightforward as the last poster says. FD are being silly but they have probably got a factory remortgage conveyancing operation.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Is it relatively straight forward and inexpensive to have house deeds changed from joint names to just one name? I know there is information on here but the last post was oct 2006 just wondered if things have altered
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    iansheff wrote: »
    Is it relatively straight forward and inexpensive to have house deeds changed from joint names to just one name?

If the other party agrees, then yes. But you really need to explain what's going on. Is one party buying the other out? Is there a mortgage involved? If so, is it currently in joint names?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Can we get our deeds put into joint names? Hubby got a sole mortgage because he had good credit and got a better rate, but the deeds went into his sole name too. I hadn't realised until recently.
    :beer:
  • My mother-in-law recently died and my father-in-law has vascular dementia. His son and daughter are now in the process of applying for power of attorney in order to look after his financial and health care affairs.

We have been advised to have the deeds of the house put into my father-in-laws name.
    If he has to go into residential care how can he 'gift' his house and savings to his son and daughter so that he will be exempt for paying for the nursing home?
    I have tried to look into this but all the sites I have looked at almost in a foreign language!!!!

I would be grateful for any advice.
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    He can not gift the house and it WILL be used for the care costs. As it should be because why should we pay it while son and daughter get lots of free money...look up deprivation of assets care home fees and you will find out there are no tricks out there...
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Bigbird101 wrote: »
    My mother-in-law recently died and my father-in-law has vascular dementia. His son and daughter are now in the process of applying for power of attorney in order to look after his financial and health care affairs.

We have been advised to have the deeds of the house put into my father-in-laws name.
    If he has to go into residential care how can he 'gift' his house and savings to his son and daughter so that he will be exempt for paying for the nursing home?
    I have tried to look into this but all the sites I have looked at almost in a foreign language!!!!

I would be grateful for any advice.

If the FIL Has assets then why should he be exempt from paying for his ongoing care ? As Geoffky says, theres no way round this one.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Seems like common sense really.

You change your name - you tell people your new name and get their records updated!

Why should Land Registry be any different? Just contact them and update your name n the Title. Job done!
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    timmyt wrote: »
    Get a local lawyer to do the work, be about £150 plus VAT to do it

It should be sorted by now, that was from June 2008.;)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport