Average utility bill for a 2 bed flat

Hi, It's the first time I'm going to actually rent my own place, and I'm just wondering what the average monthly price for gas, electric and water would be - as it's pretty much critical as to whether I can afford it or not.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Comments

• tizhimi
    tizhimi Posts: 457 Forumite
    Gas in winter was apx £160 (per quarter)
    Gas in summer was apx £35 (per quarter)
    Electric was apx £65 (per quarter)
    Water was apx £55 (on a meter per quarter)

(Two bed in Sheffield)
    I run an event management company, I put on events, I go to events, if I don't know anything about events - its not worth knowing!
    :j:j:jNegotiate, Negotiate, and Negotiate again.:j:j:j
  • Thanks - does it make any difference as to where you are in the country?

(Sorry if I sound a bit clueless - just never had to do this stuff before!)

Jon
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gas and electricity prices vary regionally but not hugely. Water varies more (eg the West Country is the most expensive place in the UK for water). And of course it's colder further north so you may spend more on heating.
    But the biggest variable will be your own habits. If you have half hour showers, turn the CH up to 25C and leave all the appliances on, that will outweigh any regional variations.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Tell me about the water charges in the Southwest:eek: a total rip off, a disgusting abuse, how on earth can I use £50 WATER a month!!!!!!! and why the hell should we have to pay for the entire clean up of the coasts? In my opinion it should be spread evenly across the U.K. after all thousands come down here to use the beaches, and when the locals want to go its too bl****y cold :mad:
    Sorry, rant over, it just touched a very sore point:o
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    I used to pay £69 a month for water. Have moved about 5 mins away and now pay £29. Who knows why!

We live in a 2 bed in Leeds, electric only and pay £45 a month electric, £29 for water.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Two bed Bradford £34 electric, £20ish water but we are VERY careful.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Two bed London £20 gas, £23 electricity (always end up with a small credit). I work from home though so use more but I am also very careful. Water is on rates at £28 a month.
  • Cheers guys, the last message has definitely given me some hope as Im looking at flats in south east London. But even witht he most expensive figures quoted here, it still works out cheaper a month with bills included to rent a flat then it is to go back to the (overpriced) uni accommodation!

Jon
  • unfortunately I am also in the same boat. Lookin for a two bed apartment, but with prices goin over £1100 pcm, I was also wondering how much the utility bills will affect the monthly cost of the house; but reading from elsewhere, its seems to be around £30 each for gas, electricity and water.
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    blizzard5 wrote: »
    unfortunately I am also in the same boat. Lookin for a two bed apartment, but with prices goin over £1100 pcm, I was also wondering how much the utility bills will affect the monthly cost of the house; but reading from elsewhere, its seems to be around £30 each for gas, electricity and water.

fairly reasonable place to start, things to look out for that will affect you are how well insulated a place is -base the above on a well insulated place with double glazing in all windows, if you're looking around somewhere dated with single glazed windows/any noticable draught/feels particularly cold in any part that poor insulation will cost a fair bit more (start from +£50pcm for a smallish problem).

Also if you should avoid 'all electric' places if you're worried about bills as they can be £100-£120 pcm on electricity and even then you have to be very very careful with how your electric heating is setup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure