Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do?

Comments

• where's the page that says it's not allowed to put 4% on the auction value to cover paypal?
  • 3. eBay Fees: Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees

There's one bit from
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

can't find the exact bit but sure i've seen it somewhere
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eBay has adopted the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay prohibits surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge.

Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Fuzzy_2
    Fuzzy_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    I've seen one tonight asking for 4%, want to report but also want to bid on item. Would the seller know I've reported them? As of course you can only report if you're logged in, which Ebay will have your ID tag, would they pass it on to the seller?
  • Ebay did indeed change the rules in respect of Paypal earlier this year.

The issue I have is the commercial relationship between Ebay and Paypal... they are one in the same as I understand it.

I personally think it fair if sellers wish to charge extra for using Paypal because they have to bear the cost - about 4%... PROVIDE it is clearly stated in the listing AND the winning bidder has alternatives i.e. cheque, cash etc which don't cost extra.  If the winning bidder is willing to pay for the convenience of Paypal it is their choice.

This effectively applies in many types of transactions.  Try buying cinema or concert tickets... the add ons e.g. service charge, handling fees etc are ridiculous and for most they cannot be avoided.  At least on Ebay you usually/should have a choice.

As for astronomically high postage the solution is simple... exercise your choice and don't bid on it!  I decide the total I am willing to pay, inc P&P and thats it.  Cheap postage is no help if the winning bidder has bid 'over the odds' in the first place.
    'A Man Who Knows The Price Of Everything Knows The Value of Nothing' Oscar Wilde
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I personally think it fair if sellers wish to charge extra for using Paypal because they have to bear the cost - about 4%... PROVIDE it is clearly stated in the listing AND the winning bidder has alternatives i.e. cheque, cash etc which don't cost extra.  If the winning bidder is willing to pay for the convenience of Paypal it is their choice.
    I really don't agree! It is just as much for the sellers convenience for someone to use paypal when buying from them. I have sold quite a few items recently and bore the paypal costs myself so the last thing I want is to also bear the paypal costs when buying something!(It also isn't allowed on Ebay and you could get kicked off for doing it!)

After all, if you sell something through the ads in a newspaper you don't expect people to pay for the item and the cost of your advert too do you?
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have decided to take paypal option off my auctions -
    1.fees adding up,
    2. heard of a few alledged "unwarrented" claimbacks
    3. Recently took them over 3 weeks to process a withdrawal !

most people have online banking - takes 2 days for an inter bank credit , or immediate in paid into any branch of my bank
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Not convinced you are right Payless. I offer a discount for bank transfer and no one takes me up on it as of yet.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i wonder if no one takes you up on direct bank transfer because they are worried re safety of their bank accounts,
    i have just started using ebay and am happy with paypal to buy goods although would be unlikely to want to pay more to use paypal.
    i also think i am right in saying that by sending money by direct bank transfer (over internet) you coulnt see my bank details but somehow it doesent seem as safe!! i know thats a bit strange (and i use internet to buy most things, i guess its the unknown of the auction site/vendors etc)
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Not convinced you are right Payless.  I offer a discount for bank transfer and no one takes me up on it as of yet.

you could be right
    but now offer cheque or credit ( online or via branch) nothing else

OK some people might not bid, but I feel a little safer - a couple of recent (lastminute) winners
    with lots of negs have paid by paypal, and I was worried of possible claimbacks after sending the goods
    ( heard someone here had a claimback - saying that paypal account was funded by someone with a claimback- and paypal followed the money down the line- true or not I prefer not to take the risk of offering
    it automatically - although might give the choice at end depending on winner etc..
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure