What's the maximum amount of time for a credit/debit card payment to clear?

I made a payment 2 months ago and it still hasn't cleared. Anyone else had similar experience? Is there a maximum time limit for card payments to clear (cheques can only be cashed upto 6 months after dated)????
:eek:

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    IIRC, 6 years. Assume the money has already been taken, and account for it as such for the moment.

Contact the issuer if you want to be certain.

If it's directly from your bank account, contact your bank and let them know that (if you want) you're still prepared to pay the amount, but since it's been so long you'd like use of the money in the mean time, and if it does get called, you'd like some extra time to sort your finances back to pay the amount.

CC's may be less lenient, but they (essentially) give you extra time anyway.

What sort of amount is the bill? pounds? £10's? £100's? £1000's?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have same issue, made 2 purchaces on same date about 2 months ago and although they went from available balance they were never picked up by the companies so went back onto my card. I rang card company and they said could take up to 6 months.( I think )

My problem is this is a prepaid card that I want to close but cannt as I still have £100 on it to cover these transactions .................wish they woudl hurry up
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • Thanks for the reply. The amt is in the thousnds. The bank has said there's an indefinate time limit and I can't get hold of the company I paid. The problem is that it's a big amount to keep in my account, I'd rather have it in my savings! Did you mean 6 years is the max time limit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure