Littlewoods - any advice appreciated

My husband has an account with Littlewoods. We've had minor problems with them in the past but these have been easily sorted. Today however, FUMING.

Last Wednesday 26/10/2011, I attempted to pay my husbands balance on my card (different name, same address) and was told it would not go through. The advisor attempted twice with the same result.

About twenty minutes later, £140 is missing from my account :mad:

I go to my bank, Barclays, who tell me that the two payments of identical amounts are pending with LITTLEWOODS.

So I wait for a few days, after being told by Littlewoods that we can regain the payment.

Nothing happens. The £140 is still not registering with Littlewoods, or my bank.

This morning, we have rung Littlewoods to ask what is going on. They have told us to ring the bank, blaming them squarely but saying we can get a reference number to register it as a missing payment and not be charged the £12 penalty fee. The payment is now five days late.

Barclays have told me that they will put the money back into my account at midnight, providing Littlewoods will give me an email saying they will not claim it again (for my own protection on my account).

Littlewoods again. The customer services put us through to debt collection, who put us through to missing payments, who say they don't have the facility to send emails (!!!!!!???) and it's our banks fault. I reply it is not my banks fault, they have been incredibly helpful and have tried to resolve the issue. Littlewoods claim we just have to wait and see if the money comes back. £140. Not a small amount in this economy, in fact, a WEEK'S wages for myself. Also, they're still going to charge us missing payment fees and amend my husbands credit file.

Before I was fuming, now I'm absolutely enraged.

The woman shouts at me to calm down, "she" does not appreciate the language. I say I will be making a complaint, can she put me through to the complaints department.

"We don't have that facility"

AGAIN. !!!!!!??? Is this a company run by toddlers????

Really not impressed, she then curtly informs me again that my husbands credit will be affected, payments are overdue and then HANGS UP. I'm disgusted.

I cannot find a number for a complaints department, am now £140 out of pocket which is floating around in the ether and am tempted to drive to to Littlewood's HR and pelt them with things.

Any advice??

Comments

• Elle7
    Elle7 Posts: 1,271 Forumite
    If the payment has been taken twice, surely Littlewoods have received at least one payment?

I appreciate that you need one back, but where are they both? Have you asked your bank to recall them both?

Littlewoods are usually good at not recording missed payments provided you made the card payment 3 days before the due date, like they advise, to give it time to clear.

The phone operators aren't great - they are easily confused, and often say different things to each other, and the email help address.
  • My bank have tried to recall them. Apparently Littlewoods have still got their little claws in.
  • Littlewoods
    Littlewoods Posts: 160 Organisation Representative
    My husband has an account with Littlewoods. We've had minor problems with them in the past but these have been easily sorted. Today however, FUMING.

Last Wednesday 26/10/2011, I attempted to pay my husbands balance on my card (different name, same address) and was told it would not go through. The advisor attempted twice with the same result.

About twenty minutes later, £140 is missing from my account :mad:

I go to my bank, Barclays, who tell me that the two payments of identical amounts are pending with LITTLEWOODS.

So I wait for a few days, after being told by Littlewoods that we can regain the payment.

Nothing happens. The £140 is still not registering with Littlewoods, or my bank.

This morning, we have rung Littlewoods to ask what is going on. They have told us to ring the bank, blaming them squarely but saying we can get a reference number to register it as a missing payment and not be charged the £12 penalty fee. The payment is now five days late.

Barclays have told me that they will put the money back into my account at midnight, providing Littlewoods will give me an email saying they will not claim it again (for my own protection on my account).

Littlewoods again. The customer services put us through to debt collection, who put us through to missing payments, who say they don't have the facility to send emails (!!!!!!???) and it's our banks fault. I reply it is not my banks fault, they have been incredibly helpful and have tried to resolve the issue. Littlewoods claim we just have to wait and see if the money comes back. £140. Not a small amount in this economy, in fact, a WEEK'S wages for myself. Also, they're still going to charge us missing payment fees and amend my husbands credit file.

Before I was fuming, now I'm absolutely enraged.

The woman shouts at me to calm down, "she" does not appreciate the language. I say I will be making a complaint, can she put me through to the complaints department.

"We don't have that facility"

AGAIN. !!!!!!??? Is this a company run by toddlers????

Really not impressed, she then curtly informs me again that my husbands credit will be affected, payments are overdue and then HANGS UP. I'm disgusted.

I cannot find a number for a complaints department, am now £140 out of pocket which is floating around in the ether and am tempted to drive to to Littlewood's HR and pelt them with things.

Any advice??

Hi,

We're sorry to hear of the problems that you've had making this payment.
    Please ask your husband to email us at [EMAIL="help@littlewoods.co.uk"]help@littlewoods.co.uk[/EMAIL] and we'd be happy to help in any way we can.

Many Thanks

Dave
    Littlewoods Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Littlewoods MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Elle7
    My bank have tried to recall them. Apparently Littlewoods have still got their little claws in.

If you have recalled both payments, I can't see why Littlewoods wouldn't charge you for being late....you have effectively not paid them now...

You need to allow one payment to go through, to pay, and get your bank to stop the other one as a duplicate payment - or ask Littlewoods not to claim the money, and it'll return to your bank.
  • I don't think I quite made that clear Elle7, Littlewoods rejected the payments in the first place and now I can't get the £140 back into my account. It's apparently floating around in the ether and until Littlewoods confirm they will not try to claim it, the bank can't return it. And how am I supposed to pay them if the money I need to pay them has, in effect, disappeared?? It isn't my fault, so why should I be charged for it??? Littlewoods refused to comply with the bank's requests.
  • Elle7
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood!

In that case, it's very much an error on Littlewoods end, as the information you gave must have been correct for them to take the money.

Did you contact the person above (the Littlewoods poster?) I'd contact them and/or the Littlewoods email address, I've had more sense from them then over the phone.

I'd also try the bank again - explain that Littlewoods are being very unhelpful and you are concerned about the payment. I think they can help, but its more work for them so they prefer not too!

I hope someone helps you out soon, it sounds like such a mess!
  • JohnLa
    JohnLa Posts: 13 Forumite
    I have sent at least 6 emails today noone has responded with a good answer even had the same email twice from two different people waht an absolute joke.

Hi,

We're sorry to hear of the problems that you've had making this payment.
    Please ask your husband to email us at [EMAIL="help@littlewoods.co.uk"]help@littlewoods.co.uk[/EMAIL] and we'd be happy to help in any way we can.

Many Thanks

Dave
    Littlewoods Help Team
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    JohnLa wrote: »
    I have sent at least 6 emails today noone has responded with a good answer even had the same email twice from two different people waht an absolute joke.
    JohnLa, do you have a problem, with Littlewoods?

Why not start a thread about it, and maybe someone will be able to help you.

All you have told us so far is that you have sent six emails today. You don't say where to.

You say the responses you have received are not good.
    What is a good answer?
  • Littlewoods
    Littlewoods Posts: 160 Organisation Representative
    JohnLa wrote: »

Hi Johnla,

We're sorry to hear that you aren't happy with the service that you have received so far. If you could email us at [EMAIL="Help@littlewoods.co.uk"]Help@littlewoods.co.uk[/EMAIL] we'd be more than happy to look into your query.

Many Thanks

Dave
    Littlewoods Help Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Littlewoods MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JohnLa
    JohnLa Posts: 13 Forumite
    I will start a thread but SO angry at the moment I have emailed Littlewoods Help Team with my questions maybe they can sort it but Im not holding my breath.

Prove me wrong Dave please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport