PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    GOOD MORNING ALL

Another NSD for me ,, last night I had to rush DH into hospital and didnt get back until late ,,, that was why I was sleeping a lot just in case I had to do this,,, i did wonder,,I did not get to sleep last night until 4am

DH is fine I brought him home with me ,,, and at the moment he is at the doctors,,,,

have just hung out my washing hopefully it will dry,,

will get off now and have brekkie

KAaT

I hope everything is ok:D
  • Triggles
    Triggles Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Susan, Kaat - thank you, yes I'm feeling better. Still get tired quite easily, but DH and DD are making sure I don't overdo it, bless them.

Susan - LOL at first time using a list at grocery! I'm certain DH thinks I make a list for EVERYTHING! I'm a listmaker, it's true. I just can't walk into the shop without a list or I will forget things.

Kaat - glad your DH is okay.

SueB - LOL at the kids whining. DD still gets the same comment from me "When I say NO it's the END of the conversation, not the beginning!" But I've heard her say it to her DS as well, so obviously it stuck at some point.

Denisefowler - day3 still early, but I know what you mean. It's nervewracking, especially now when prices seem out of control, isn't it? Best of luck, although I'm sure it will all sort itself out.

I have to do a grocery shop this afternoon, so I'll come back on later and update my sig.
    MSE mum of DS(7), and DS(4) (and 2 adult DCs as well!)
    DFW Long haul supporters No 210
    :snow_grin Christmas 2013 is coming soon!!! :xmastree:
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Morning all :D

Well today may or may not be a NSD :rotfl:

Hubby has gone to his golf competition, so i have him stopping off at the big naffi...His mission? to get more bread flour (after getting someone to price check it for him-i only want it if its 74c-not €1.49).... he is even under instruction to ask if they have any more out back if its 74c :p and to bring me 16 bags if they have it ;)
    Have given him an extra €10 just in case he spots any "super whoopsies" -he grilled me as to what constituted a "super whoopsy" :rotfl: ....I think he is worried that i will expect him to pay for anything i don't think is worth what he pays :rotfl:
    So when hubby gets back it could be a :eek: moment or a :j moment :D

MrsMc ,,,, you certainly have OH well trained in the arts of shopping,,(Mission Impossible Style),,,, and on his way to his golf competition as well ,,, he will be too stressed to play ,,,Hope he wins his competition

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I have a buffet to do for my work, but the budget is only £20 so thats not even £1 a head!! So I am looking for some inspiration,....Old style I think

Buffet? Buffet? Who mentioned buffet on a budget? :D

I did a buffet on a budget for 100+ as part of DD's engagement / birthday party and everyone was happy with the outcome.
    How many has £20 to feed?

Pasta salad (works out about £1 per large bowl that serves around 12 people), sandwiches with grated cheese, egg mayonnaise, savoury rice mixes, sausage rolls, sausages on sticks, roast chicken drumsticks/thighs/wings (buy when reduced to clear, freeze until needed) crisps, savoury snacks, peanuts, cheese & pineapple or ham or pickled onions on sticks, mini iced sponges, salad bowls, melon boats, quiche... umm.... can you tell I like simple party buffets on a budget? :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Hurrah - have completed my first week & come in on budget. Have been amazed that it hasn't been too difficult at all, providing you plan. We've had lots of yummy dinners & I've made Impossible pie, coconut & lemon buns & rocky roads (hubby's favourite). He thinks he's in heaven!! Am going to try making the Iced buns & Twinks later today. Nom, nom!

Keep going everyone. CB xx
    Cherry Blossom

Started SW 24/7/10: -5,-3,-3,-6,-5, -6 (28) :T
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    nykmedia wrote: »
    Buffet? Buffet? Who mentioned buffet on a budget? :D

I did a buffet on a budget for 100+ as part of DD's engagement / birthday party and everyone was happy with the outcome.
    How many has £20 to feed?

Pasta salad (works out about £1 per large bowl that serves around 12 people), sandwiches with grated cheese, egg mayonnaise, savoury rice mixes, sausage rolls, sausages on sticks, roast chicken drumsticks/thighs/wings (buy when reduced to clear, freeze until needed) crisps, savoury snacks, peanuts, cheese & pineapple or ham or pickled onions on sticks, mini iced sponges, salad bowls, melon boats, quiche... umm.... can you tell I like simple party buffets on a budget? :D

The buffet is for all the shops volunteers, there are an adverage of 18 on the books but the b***dy assistant manager keeps telling some of the "old" volunteers to call in and visit. So how long is a piece of string! I am currently feeling like a bunny in the lights and know that they will all be comparing me to the previous manager as I am new. I also have heard that the previous manager actually had someone to do it for her, and used her own funds! But nobody really has offered to help, and that includes the assistant manager, and I am struggling in my own right.
    So I suppose I will just have to knuckle under and go and visit Iceland?
    Thanks for the ideas above though, its a start. I just went completely brain dead on any ideas, the thought of a buffet with only £20 petty cash just scared me to death!
    I suppose I will start with the cocktail sausage rolls, and the value line what ever I can get? I am against sandwiches as they go curly, and in the heat of the sort/sauna room they wont last long. Then I have to cope with volunteers that cant have this, that and the other.....Oh bums who said as a Shop Manager I had to be the chef too!!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Just been looking at Icelands web site. They have a suggested buffet ideas for 20 adults coming in at £30. So maybe I better have a look at making some of the things myself, but I dont have the ingredients to hand to use up so would it be a lot of work for not a lot off results?? Oh I dont know. I really am not in the mood. Only got today and tomorrow to sort it out in. But I think I will just have to switch off for a few minutes and come back to it.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mooloo, Asda sell SmartPrice Tortilla crisps for about 18p, they are really nice to go with some dips. I'm sure they do Smartprice dips or their own make salsa can be found near the crisps.

Have you got time to do some pizz whirls with the cheap bread mix on offer in Asda at 34p? Just prepare the dough, roll it out and add pizza type toppings. Roll it up like a swiss roll and then slice it. Pop the slices flat onto an oven tray and bake. These are a nice alternative to sandwiches.

Edit: Do you have Home Bargains near you as you might get cheap nibbles there. They often have the posher crisps like Walkers Sensations very cheap.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Unfortunately no Home Bargains, or the like here in Oxford. There is a Lidl a short drive away, and Tesco, but I havent got my car today. So I will have to go to them tomorrow after work, which is a bit late when I have to take the stuff with me to work on Friday morning. I have heard there is an Asda a few milews away but I havent been to it. But I will see if I can make the Pizza Idea, with the things that I have in the cupboard. I have ingredients to make bread for the breadmaker so I am sure I will have the stuff to do that. Except perhaps the cheese.
    Nearest shop in walkiing distance/carrying distance is Co op and a small Iceland. Ah there is a Wilkinsons that has started to do some foods.? Now that you have suggested the Tortilla crisps I have a feeling that Tesco do some too? Perhaps I will just have to have a late night tomorrow when I get my car back, and go and visit Mr T.

Thanks for the various ideas. I will come up with something out of the suggestions, and if all else fails then I will top up with Iceland on the way into work on Friday.. It opens about 15 mins before I start work...
    Time for feeding the grandson as Mum is out.
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another £1.80 to add to my total - 30p on reduced bread rolls at Asda and £1.50 on the most gorgeous giant cherries at the stall near the station. OH loves cherries and has demanded I bring some more back on my way home from work. I think I'll indulge him this time but after this the tons of apples from the garden need to be eaten.

Any ideas what I can do with the apples? They're not particularly sweet and OH and I are trying to lose weight so the usual apple pie desserty type thing is out of the question.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure